Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:04 AM

5 posts, read 16,468 times

Advertisements

Our family is looking to buy some land ( 10-30 acres) that we can farm. After a little bit of research, we're interested in the Somerset area.
But, I'd like to get a little knowledge from the locals, or those of you who have lived in the area before making the big move ( we currently live in South Florida.)
Some of my biggest concerns are wildlife, (particularly snakes and bugs), health care ( how far is the nearest hospital and what is its reputation), and weather ( just how hot does it get in July? We're looking to escape Florida heat). Any other concerns that we should consider before moving?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
I live 35 miles from Somerset. Lake Cumberland Regional Hospital is in Somerset, it has a good reputation. But any big time major stuff you will probably need to go to Lexington for. As far as "wildlife" is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it. If you live in the woods, then maybe snakes will be a problem. Mosquitos can be terrible in the summer, as is the case in most places....

Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 AM

407 posts, read 1,263,595 times
I live about 27 miles from Somerset. We love the Lake Cumberland area. I would suggest staying closer to the Russell Springs or Jamestown area. Crime rate is lower and you can always pop over to Somerset when you need WalMart or the mall. The Casey County area around Liberty is also a nice area where there are Amish and friendly people.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beilart View Post
I live about 27 miles from Somerset. We love the Lake Cumberland area. I would suggest staying closer to the Russell Springs or Jamestown area. Crime rate is lower and you can always pop over to Somerset when you need WalMart or the mall. The Casey County area around Liberty is also a nice area where there are Amish and friendly people.
Uhhh, Somerset doesn't have a crime problem. Wow...

Most of the growth in Somerset is SW of town. A lot of nice areas especially west of Highway 27.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redoubtbound View Post
Our family is looking to buy some land ( 10-30 acres) that we can farm. After a little bit of research, we're interested in the Somerset area.
But, I'd like to get a little knowledge from the locals, or those of you who have lived in the area before making the big move ( we currently live in South Florida.)
Some of my biggest concerns are wildlife, (particularly snakes and bugs), health care ( how far is the nearest hospital and what is its reputation), and weather ( just how hot does it get in July? We're looking to escape Florida heat). Any other concerns that we should consider before moving?

Thanks for your help!
I live in London as well. Somerset has decent restaurants, shopping (there's a small mall there. Healthcare is available at Lake Cumberland Regional, and we have a pretty good hospital here in London. There's also Burnside, a small community south of Somerset that is "moist." Meaning that the restaurants sell alcohol.
Lexington is about an hour or so north.
Lots of good outdoor pursuits available. you can hike in the nearby Daniel Boone National Forest, canoe the local streams and pretty much all of Somerset/Pulaski county is cave country.
Also, there was a small airport that was offering commuter airline service.
Wildlife dangers don't even compare to south Florida. If you do enough hiking in the woods, you'll eventually see a Copperhead. Timber Rattlers are around, but hard to find. Black Bears are making a big comeback, but they're easier to find in the Big South Fork Recreational area, south of Somerset. That said, every year there are Bear sightings in some of the local towns, usually when the weather warms.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:48 AM

Do you see the word "problem" anywhere in my sentence? Somerset is a bigger city therefore it will have more crime. Get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Uhhh, Somerset doesn't have a crime problem. Wow...

Most of the growth in Somerset is SW of town. A lot of nice areas especially west of Highway 27.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Do you see the word "problem" anywhere in my sentence? Somerset is a bigger city therefore it will have more crime. Get it?
Crime and Somerset? That's still laughable, oh and Somerset is not a "bigger city." You're cracking me up with those statements...crime...bigger city....

Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times
It's a beautiful area, but you have to like rural. This is small town life, with all the good and bad that brings.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 AM

Really? The data shows that Somerset has a higher than average property crime rate and is level with the State of Kentucky in violent crimes. There are also 39 registered sex offenders living in Somerset as of August 2011 and the population is just over 12,000. That's a lot of pedophiles for a small town. And yes, Somerset is bigger than some of our surrounding towns. Jamestown for instance. Please carry on with your crack up.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Crime and Somerset? That's still laughable, oh and Somerset is not a "bigger city." You're cracking me up with those statements...crime...bigger city....

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 05:28 AM..

Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Really? The data shows that Somerset has a higher than average property crime rate and is level with the State of Kentucky in violent crimes. There are also 39 registered sex offenders living in Somerset as of August 2011 and the population is just over 12,000. That's a lot of pedophiles for a small town. And yes, Somerset is bigger than some of our surrounding towns. Jamestown for instance. Please carry on with your crack up.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Oh dear....

Seriously, I'm not going to argue about crime in Somerset, KY because it's such a waste of time. There is nothing to worry about in that regard. Sheesh...

Last edited by Yac; 02-29-2012 at 05:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky