Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 PM

26 posts, read 85,671 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Mayfield from Arizona. Any feedback you can give would be helpful. How is shopping? Is it a safe city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSCantrell View Post
We are thinking of moving to Mayfield from Arizona. Any feedback you can give would be helpful. How is shopping? Is it a safe city?

Yes it's safe, what would you like to know? I do not live in Mayfield, but I'm there nearly everyday. I do live in the county.

I have family in AZ so it depends on what part of AZ you are coming from, it is a tad greener here. There are many transplants here from AZ, FL, CA and others.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 PM

We saw a house on the internet that is in the county (I think) on 1.5 acres. Just wondering about the town in general. Friendly? Is there shopping? Crime? Is it a quaint little town with historical buildings or a new town full of hurried people? We live 50 miles south of Phoenix and want to get to a greener, slower paced lifestyle. Also, my oldest son is in upstate NY withhis wife and my grandkids. Our youngest is in college getting his Masters so who knows where he will end up. We also have family in Oklahoma, so Mayfield seems to be within driving distance of both.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,791,621 times
I gather you all are retired?

How did you come to pick Mayfield, KY?

Just curious....but yes, Mayfield is a very friendly town. I like Mayfield...much better than Paducah. It's much nicer. As for shopping, there are enough stores to keep me happy; don't know about you.

Very green and much slower-paced than Phoenix. Not a lot of crime, comparitively. You would certainly feel safe!

I'm in Mayfield all the time....if you're seriously considering a home there, I'd be glad to take some real-time pics for you. Just let me know.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 PM

There is enough shopping to fill your basics here, greater shopping can be had in Paducah.
Mayfield has no mall, but does have other choices and new businesses are opening at a modest rate here. Not booming, not declining, just steady. The crime in my area at least is very low, I'm not sure of the last time I locked my doors, not sure I ever have. We leave our keys in the car, you can here. Put it this way, they report speeding tickets in the "crime roundup" section of the paper so they have something to print. There are plenty of places to eat, although admittedly I'd like a little more variety.
Hurried ... HA! This is rural KY no such thing as hurry here. There are a few historical building here and old houses, but nothing to get excited over. Typical stuff, but there is plenty to be found in the surround communities. Far Western KY is the Jackson Purchase and it's sort of a state unto itself, we call it political Siberia. But that's not a bad thing. Most of the people that have move here have liked it, we've had friend come visit from other states and liked it so much they moved here. The laid back simple life style, nothing to exciting.
We're with in easy driving range of Nashville, Memphis, St Louis and the like if you have a need for the big city life. But if you like green there is plenty, if you like water there is plenty, woods - plenty, etc. We're near the Tennessee River, Cumberland River, Ohio River and Mississippi River.

Got a link to the house you're looking at? I work on house for a living I might know a thing or two about the area you're looking in. You can PM me if you'd prefer not to post it here.

Mayfield is just a town, nothing to set it apart from any other town of the same size, nothing to give it a bad name I can think of. Folks are friendly and helpful, they don't care if your from here or not. Have you looked at the area links online?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:47 PM

Thank you all so much for the info. As to finding Mayfield, we were just browsing a map and hit on Mayfield. We looked it up on the computer and liked what we saw. Housing seemed afforable and it looked like a nice, little town. Yes we are retired and looking for a change. The house we saw online is not big enough, so if we do make it out there, we would need to find a contractor to add on to the house. I'm sorry, I don't know how to PM. If you could tell me how...I would be happy to send you the house info.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I don't know how to PM. If you could tell me how...I would be happy to send you the house info.
Just click my name and choose "send direct message"

There are a lot of homes for sale in the area many with acreage, and most are far, far cheaper than AZ.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,903,307 times
I love how no one (well almost no one) points out anything negative about a town in this state. However, since this thread is so touchy-feely, I will not dare to post anything negative about Mayfield.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I love how no one (well almost no one) points out anything negative about a town in this state. However, since this thread is so touchy-feely, I will not dare to post anything negative about Mayfield.
I said Mayfield is a average town, nothing exciting, lack variety in dining with basic shopping. Which is all true. It also has low crime and a unhurried life. Why should I make it should like some awful place when it's not, it's just an average town. Nothing sets it apart from other towns of the same size, which I said, nothing make it worse, which I said.

However, not everyone one this board find a need to be as negative as you are at times KentuckyDad. We've had this conversation before, and no offense but it seems like you have to be drug kicking and screaming to make a positive statement about nearly anything, I know you're near or in Murray and you don't like it, I also know nothing is keeping you there, but you.

If I've said once I've said it a 1000 times you can be happy anywhere you go if you choose to be, or you can be miserable. It's your choice. A community, places and things do not make you happy ... you do.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 AM

Thank you all. Kentuckydad, if there is anything negative about Mayfield, please feel free to let me know. We need all the info we can get to make an informed decision. We want to feel like we have all the info we can get before taking the giant step of moving across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky