Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:52 PM

257 posts, read 881,464 times

Advertisements

Why does Kentucky have so many counties? I've always wondered this and thought about why there is no sort of consolidation considered. There are so many unpopulated counties in E Ky and W Ky. It seems the state could save a lot of money doing something about this. Just a little rant I've always had on my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 04:48 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Historical: No man shall be more than one days walk to and from his home to the county seat/paraphrased.

Emotional: Most counties have a historically clanish grouping of families.

My opinion: I once thought Kentucky should consolidate counties as we did high schools, but now as I grow older, I think we should divide into more counties. Why? Anytime you take a dollar out of your pocket and send it to a home-owners association, a town or city government, a county, state, national, or international government, you loose freedom. For example, when we send taxes to the IRS, Congress appropriates the money and the President, through his/her cabinet distribute the money through bureaucratic grants and actions.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:31 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
There are counties in Texas and other Western states that don't even have 1,000 people. And Loving County, TX only has 55 people!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
There are counties in Texas and other Western states that don't even have 1,000 people. And Loving County, TX only has 55 people!
They are lucky!

Old 07-04-2008, 11:40 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
It's a huge waste of our tax dollars to have so many country, 60 would be just fine.

Years ago they tried to merge counties but the good ole boy didn't want to share power.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
It's a huge waste of our tax dollars to have so many country, 60 would be just fine.

Years ago they tried to merge counties but the good ole boy didn't want to share power.
You are so right about waste of tax dollars, but $ 5.00 says that if the counties were merged the politicians would find a way to continue to waste the same money or even more that's taken from you now.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:36 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
You are so right about waste of tax dollars, but $ 5.00 says that if the counties were merged the politicians would find a way to continue to waste the same money or even more that's taken from you now.
True but instead of having 2 mayors, 2 county clerks, and 2 of everything else they could take that money and spend it on roads and schools that they're all whining about not enough money for now.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:29 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
True but instead of having 2 mayors, 2 county clerks, and 2 of everything else they could take that money and spend it on roads and schools that they're all whining about not enough money for now.
Well, now, that's all good in theory, but where will Meemaw and Jim Bob work, if we were to take away their county-clerk jobs? At the schools, I guess.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 AM

108 posts, read 452,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Well, now, that's all good in theory, but where will Meemaw and Jim Bob work, if we were to take away their county-clerk jobs? At the schools, I guess.
Kentucky could definitely consolidate quite a few of its counties. Of course, these new larger counties would probably then be divided into townships, like in Ohio and Indiana. Then Meemaw and Jim Bob could work for the township assessor's office, or some other newly created yet basically pointless job.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:29 PM

145 posts, read 518,613 times
I agree...120 counties is a joke. 120 county clerks...etc. It is a huge waste of money. Plus a side bennefit would be when people always say they are from ......county I might actually have a clue where that is if there are only ten or eleven of them. As it is now unless it is Jefferson, Kenton, Boone, Campbell, Fayette or Daviess county then I have no idea where you are from. Why can't people just say I am from harlan or wherever. That includes where I'm from. Most people from N. Ky don't say they are from ....county but they say i'm from northern kentucky. That narrows it down a bit but still...name your city...then name the closest big one and that will due...ha. When I ask you where you are from and you say Clinton county I have no clue where that is (I apologize for not having them memorized). Just a side benefit to a reduction. Would you like some sweet tea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky