Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 PM

56 posts, read 161,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
That guy was not threatening them. Even my daughter was shocked that Paula was upset. She said, "Where the heck are THOSE people from??" They only reacted the way they did because the guy was different from them. The poor man was scared as all get out and it was obvious.
I know, they also made him look to be really dumb. Whooo he talked diffrent, big deal. Have you listened to someone from Boston, "pak the cah in havad yahd", they say no "r". No one asks them if they wear shoes. One moe thing, has anyone here been to Cincinnati? Wow, they act like we are from the stoneage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
All about shoes or no shoes.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:02 PM

154 posts, read 533,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater_boy21 View Post
I know, they also made him look to be really dumb. Whooo he talked diffrent, big deal. Have you listened to someone from Boston, "pak the cah in havad yahd", they say no "r". No one asks them if they wear shoes. One moe thing, has anyone here been to Cincinnati? Wow, they act like we are from the stoneage.
Haha, yeah, thats one reason that is keeping me from going to NKU, I love the school though.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:25 PM

76 posts, read 162,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I really really hate wearing shoes in the summer. Not because I can't, because I don't want to. Maybe the grass has something to do with it?

My Daddy Ralph Stephenson, told me how he grew up in the Great Depression in Mayfield KY. To him, & his kin' shoes were a luxury. He taught me simple things to appreciate & common sense, most of all how to remember to be grateful.

I can't wait to take my shoes off when I get to Kentucky, & feel the beautiful grass you so richly describe.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:54 AM

15 posts, read 25,269 times
I was born in Pikeville, raised in Kimper, and currently live in Louisa with my husband...went to college in Lexington, Louisville and Berea and I've traveled all over the world. Now... do I think that KY is nearly as "bad" as its represented to be...no where near..but stereotypes do exist for a reason. I have seen that eastern ky is less tolerant of differences and i have my own theories on why that is. However, I think that if we really want to change these stereotypes there are two things we hvae to do

1) we have to educate those who do promote this attitude in our state...you know what they say about one bad apple in a bushel...

2) then we have to promote the good things about ky to the outside.... i mean you really cant expect that people will just give up the perception of ky like that when there ARE still places locations and people who routinely display that attitude.

yeah i get tired of the shoes questions.... and i'm really sick of having to say apple pie for my friends from NY but...i think that we have a lot to improve here in ky (and since ky is such a GREAT place with GREAT people its worth improving) and i would rather focus on that than just what people actually think of us

Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 AM

9 posts, read 25,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Coldwater is between Mayfield and Murray, just down the road from Stella. Monkey's Eyebrow I've heard of, but not Bucksville or Lickskillet.
Then, on the other end of the state, we have Dwarf, Eighty-Eight, Hell-for-Certain, and Mouthcard.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 PM

21 posts, read 75,309 times
Almost all of my family lives in eastern Kentucky. My dad's immeadiate family moved to Louisville when he was young, and that's pretty much all I have here. Appearantly my last name, Fugate, has some sort of significance there (blue people). When we went to a funeral outside Hazard a few years ago, we were treated like celebrities from the "big city" by people we weren't even related to. People I had literally never encountered in my life knew everything abut me. it reminded me of the movie Elizabethtown.

For the most part, the stereotypes ran true. Most everyone smoked, had poor or no need for oral hygene, talked like Steve Beshear, and had mullets. Bush stickers were everywhere. People judged others by which hardcore Christian church they attended. Diversity was nonexistant except for behind the counter at fast food restaurants.

However, more recently, I've met a lot of people from eastern Kentucky at various I Love the Mountains events and Lunsford campaign rallies who were very articulate and intelligent.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:43 AM

647 posts, read 2,083,701 times
I've had comments thrown at me before about being from Kentucky. One guy I work with (who is from Texas) was asking me about Kentucky and was amazed to find out that there are some parts of Kentucky that are not like the movie Deliverance. I said, "yeah, look, I'm wearing shoes and I even grew up with electricity and running water in my house".......as if Texas has no areas that compare.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:47 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave13 View Post
I've had comments thrown at me before about being from Kentucky. One guy I work with (who is from Texas) was asking me about Kentucky and was amazed to find out that there are some parts of Kentucky that are not like the movie Deliverance. I said, "yeah, look, I'm wearing shoes and I even grew up with electricity and running water in my house".......as if Texas has no areas that compare.
My goodness!!!! It amazes me the things that people believe!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 PM

137 posts, read 448,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Most people here are Kentuckians and we all should be Ambassadors for our entire state, it's understandable to want to promote your areas over others, but don't run down those other areas that you know little about. Don't promote your area at the cost of the reputation of others. It's not fair, it's not right and it's just flat out misleading most of the time.

I'm sorry I just had to get that off my chest ...
I could not have said it better myself. Most people here on city-data like to promote their area over other great areas of the state. Some of the things they say are downright hurtful at times. I am certain that I am not the only person that has been hurt by someone else on here saying something negative or downright not true about their individual area. I wish we all could just appreicate other area differences in our own state and visit those places to learn more about them, choosing to appreicate there way of life. I am a firm believer that every area of this state and any state has something to offer!

Furthermore I would like to say that I get tired for hearing people apologize for putting people and places down, but are more than willing to sterotype Northerns, saying aweful things about them as if they are alll the same. I think that is a danger we as Kentuckians run into is putting down people up Northern and thus judging people we don't even know or who even know us. While yes "some Northerns" say things about Southerns and vise versa, but two wrongs don't make a right. Ya know?....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky