Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:27 PM
srg srg started this thread

16 posts, read 36,684 times

Advertisements

I'm considering retiring in your state and have some questions. I currently live in Connecticut where everything is really expensive, taxes, housing, electricity, etc. A good place to earn your money but not to retire to. I'm taking a hard look at all expenses and trying to compare. Can someone let me know what the current electricity per kWh is in your area along with the distribution charges. I'm looking at the jonesborough/elizabethton/mountain city area. A log home with nice views, any recommendations.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 05:18 PM

166 posts, read 511,425 times
I'm from CT as well, and electricity is definitely cheaper. My family lives there still, and said that CL&P was charging them $75 a month just for the service. They recently switched to another company that charges $15 instead, but the name escapes me.

I haven't gotten a bill for my new place, but my old 1 bedroom (3 room) apartment ran like this:

35 days, 763kWh, $78.53 read 1/20/08
27 days, 572kWh, $62.71 read 12/17/08
30 days, 353kWh, $42.69 read 11/17/08 - each of these is with a service fee, usually $7-$8 each time. The site won't let me see past bill detail about what each charge was.

There are a lot of different power companies it seems. Johnson City runs on the Johnson City Power Board - which, from what I've heard - can be a pain to deal with. You really have to keep track of paying bills on time and making sure they receive the payments. I've heard many stories of power getting shut off regardless of bill payment. They got a $200 deposit (I believe, could have been 175?) from me (though with good credit it can be lowered) and charged $40 to turn on and $40 to switch to my new place.

Anyway, there are people here who live in the areas you mentioned, and I am sure they could give you a better idea of what the cost there would be, since they are likely other companies.

As far as taxes, no state tax - but sales tax is 9.5% or 8% for food. We haven't gotten a property tax bill for the car yet - but in VA is was $62. (2003 Subaru Legacy) I know my mother paid over $300 in CT for her 2005 Kia Sportage.

If you decide to move down, DON'T TAKE ROUTE 95!! Haha. And bring some maple candy - they don't seem to have that here.

Last edited by Bailey.; 02-23-2009 at 05:28 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 PM

Bailey - Thanks for the info - My last electric bill was $124.00? 544kWh. So it looks like your rate is much cheaper! In Ct they charge a distribution fee which adds up to almost 45% of the bill - Crazy! It does appear that Tn. is less expensive is almost all areas. Can I avoid the some of the summer heat by getting in the mountains surrounding elizabethton?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 PM

50 posts, read 139,983 times
Default Electrical rates

The rates will vary some depending on which system your on. While each town uses a differnet system they all get their power from the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). Rates for JC as of 1/1/09 are .07903/KWH with a customer charge of 8.01. In Elizabethton they're .09144/KWH with a 7.87 Customer charge. There are currently no "delivery charges" in the Tri-Cities area.

The following two paragraphs are from JC Power Board's FAQ page of their website:
-The customer charge is a fixed monthly charge designed to evenly distribute costs JCPB incurs when providing electric service to customers. Examples of charges that are incurred are: meter reading, maintaining customer records, capital and maintenance costs, etc. In other words, whether customers use electricity or not, it costs to provide electric service to each and every customer. In order to spread the cost of supplying means to receive electric service evenly among customers, all customers (i.e. residential, commercial, and industrial) are charged a customer charge.
-Deposits are required for all electric customers. Customers have the option of a credit check through ONLINE Utility Exchange or pay the maximum designated deposit. Those customers with a satisfactory credit score will not be charged a deposit.

We do not pay property tax on our vehicles, only the sales tax when it is registered.

Log homes (and others) with nice views are available dependant on your price range.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 PM

510 posts, read 1,388,912 times
This is the rate schedule for Mountain Electric Coop that serves Mountain city and Roan Mountain areas. We have a place near Mountain City that was recently inherited from my mother. She rarely needed to use A/c cooling in the summer with good night cooling down at an elevation of 2400 feet (surrounded by 3000+ foot mountains). We use the A/c a bit more than she did when we go there since the house sits several days closed at night between stays. Down here at elevation 1600 near Kingsport (same applies to Jonesborough) summer A/c needs are substantial mostly due to the higher humidity and 5+ higher temperatures than in the mountains of the border counties. We will have at least one month's cooling bill comparable to our biggest winter month bill. Our power here in Kingsport (and most of SW Virginia including Abingdon and Damascus) is provided by AEP whose residential rates are slightly lower than those of Mountain Electric Coop.

Last edited by Marka; 05-07-2013 at 12:41 AM..

Old 02-23-2009, 11:23 PM

510 posts, read 1,388,912 times
Don't overlook the "fuel adjustment adder" down in the rate schedule. It was about $0.02 per KWH through December and is now a bit less since coal and other commodity prices have dropped back.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:27 PM

Thanks for all the great info, very helpful. What about gasoline? What the price currently for unleaded regular?? In Ct it's closing in on $2.00, some places over $2.00. Elevation and mountain views are very important to us - How far do I have to traval (miles) from downtown elizabethton to get into the mountains? I would like to stay somewhat close to Johnson City if possible.

Thanks for all the help

Old 02-24-2009, 01:49 PM

166 posts, read 511,425 times
Last I saw gas was last night at $1.75. In the last couple weeks it has stabilized with some variable over a lot of the country, but we did hit $1.89 at what (I believe to be) the cheapest gas station in JC. (Walmart on Brown's Mill) We got down to $1.19 at one point as well. Gas is cheaper in Elizabethton.

The highest I've paid was $4.69 in NY, that was when gas was about $3.25 here.

It takes about 15 minutes to get to Elizabethton from where I live. They are very different cities. As far as getting to "the mountains", I'm not sure what a reference point would be. It takes about 45 minutes from here to Roan Mountain (the town) and maybe a 1/2 hour from Elizabethton.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:17 PM

I really want to live in the mountains or be as close as possible while at the same time be close enough to JC for all the city things, health care, shopping, restarunts, entertainment, etc. Don't need to work! Mountain city would be a good (based on my research) choice but appears to be "to far out" That's why I'm considering Elizabethton or Jonesborough or recommendations? Any nice gated communties around? I'm hoping to find a nice log home for under $400,000

Thanks

Old 02-24-2009, 05:15 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,694,341 times
srg,
Don't overlook the sales tax of 9.5%.
If you have Medicare I suggest you make sure you can find a doctor that will accept it.
I also suggest you find out the water rates in your prospective areas. If it is well water
I suggest you throughly investigate both quality and quantity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol