Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 02:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times

Advertisements

It depends on your circumstances.

In my first neighborhood, I didn't make too many friends, but it was a transient place with a lot of transplants and really not people with the same interests as me.

When I got a job I found a LOT of friendly people and they were more than welcoming. Even though most of them were born and raised here, they were more than willing to let me in to their circle.

In my new neighborhood, most of the folks are older, but even then we have made good friends. One of my most favorite people is 85. And he'll hang out all day with us, if we'd like. The guy chops down trees and everything. Amazing man. He still works!

So my suggestion is to spread your wings a bit. Join a club. There are a lot of interesting groups about town.

And if you hear of folks hanging out, invite yourself. You would be surprised how many people don't invite others because they assume you wouldn't want to hang out. If they are meeting up to go for a walk in the park say, "Would you mind if I come along?"

I think you'll be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 03:16 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It depends on your circumstances.

In my first neighborhood, I didn't make too many friends, but it was a transient place with a lot of transplants and really not people with the same interests as me.

When I got a job I found a LOT of friendly people and they were more than welcoming. Even though most of them were born and raised here, they were more than willing to let me in to their circle.

In my new neighborhood, most of the folks are older, but even then we have made good friends. One of my most favorite people is 85. And he'll hang out all day with us, if we'd like. The guy chops down trees and everything. Amazing man. He still works!

So my suggestion is to spread your wings a bit. Join a club. There are a lot of interesting groups about town.

And if you hear of folks hanging out, invite yourself. You would be surprised how many people don't invite others because they assume you wouldn't want to hang out. If they are meeting up to go for a walk in the park say, "Would you mind if I come along?"

I think you'll be surprised.
EXCELLENT advice!!!

Old 02-18-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
EXCELLENT advice!!!
Thanks!

The thing about people that grew up in the same area is that they are used to everyone having their own posse, so to speak. They have lots of friends and family, and even though they know you are a transplant, they kind of forget that you might not have any friends.

And so many times people think, oh he wouldn't want to hang out with my friends and family, he probably would prefer more exciting people. You would be surprised! If you ask to tag along, then they know you are interested.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,826,124 times
I wish Amtrak still came to town : (

Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,630 times
Hey everyone, I was so happy to read your posts. I currently live in South FL - West Palm Beach- and I can't wait to get out! my husband and I are done in S FL and have been looking to relocate in TN. I've been reading lots and lots and for some reason Knoxville and surrounding areas sounds like the place to go. I want to say thank you to everyone posting such great info and comments, it's the best way to gather your facts : get it from the locals! hopefully we will become locals too.. and soon. I'm about at whits end in here and can't wait to relocate.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:08 AM

364 posts, read 1,113,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR123 View Post
Hey everyone, I was so happy to read your posts. I currently live in South FL - West Palm Beach- and I can't wait to get out! my husband and I are done in S FL and have been looking to relocate in TN. I've been reading lots and lots and for some reason Knoxville and surrounding areas sounds like the place to go. I want to say thank you to everyone posting such great info and comments, it's the best way to gather your facts : get it from the locals! hopefully we will become locals too.. and soon. I'm about at whits end in here and can't wait to relocate.
Depending on your housing and/or job situation it will probably a few years still but hang in there it is a great dream.

I have the same one.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 AM

I can remember living in Florida and being ready to pull my hair out. Literally. I thought I was going to lose my mind. You will get here, eventually. You'll see.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,329,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR123 View Post
Been there (Jupiter FL), done that, got the Teeshirt then burned it in 97' when we moved to East TN...ended up further east in North East TN after a few years but have NEVER regretted it even though it took us 3 moves to find just the right place for us in TN. Hang in there, keep up the research and make it a goal, it will pay off for you in so many ways!
Comparing east TN to Palm Beach County is like comparing breathing underwater to above water. ...breathing is much more enjoyable/easier above water.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 PM

361 posts, read 862,374 times
mbmouse or hiknapster,

This seems like a good spot to ask this question since this talks about the likes for Knoxville.

We plan to spend a week around Knoxville between now and fall and like many, we are planning to relocate not too far down the road. My question is would downtown Knoxville be worthwhile spending a night or two in? I have read some posts about a the Market Square area and the wife really enjoys the Farmers Markets, which some cities have. I thought it may be worth while to find a nice hotel downtown, let her take in the shops or Market and have a night on the town.

We have been to the area before but have not spent any time in downtown Knoxville. We have family about a hour away in Cleveland, TN but we tend to prefer the Knoxville/Maryville area to relocate to.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:05 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,329,215 times
In warmer evening weather (not quite the right time now!) downtown Knox is a MUST for at least one night, if not two when visiting. Be sure to get a hotel either close to Gay street to walk to a show, open mike or restaurant. If you want a bit more metro zing, check out................oh my gosh! Forgot the name of the street! The one with Crouch Florist, the Ut Book store, Copper Kettle and several great night sport for a drink and big screen....is it Cumberland Ave??? A local Konxvillian available for verification of the street name? Sorry Stone1, been a few since I did the downtown Knoxville run hahahah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville