Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 02:59 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Haha seriously?? Someone misses Denny's and that's what they want to complain about? Shew.
No kidding, I was thinking the same thing! I mean Denny's is ok, but if I never ate at another one for the rest of my life I wouldn't shed any tears. There used to be a Denny's off Cedar Bluff but it didn't last. It's a Mexican joint now.

There is a Denny's in Pigeon Forge, although if I'm going to drive that far I'd just as soon head on to Gatlinburg and eat at the Pancake Pantry which is a gazillion times better.

I love that we have Waffle Houses everywhere. Some smothered hash browns sounds good right about now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 PM

66 posts, read 179,404 times
I didn't realize that wishing Knoxville had a place that served cheap/decent enough food, was open 24 hours, and had wifi was that shocking of a thing to complain about. I think Perkins is the only sort of place that fits the bill at the moment in the area.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 PM

213 posts, read 550,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Lake View Post
I didn't realize that wishing Knoxville had a place that served cheap/decent enough food, was open 24 hours, and had wifi was that shocking of a thing to complain about. I think Perkins is the only sort of place that fits the bill at the moment in the area.
How about IHOP? Or what about Shoney's (I know they are not open 24 hours). Personally I have never met a Denny's that I liked.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Funny. We were just on vacation and my husband suggested that we stop at a Denny's since it was so long ago since we ate at one. Well, it was nothing exciting. In fact, it seemed to be much better several years ago, so you might be yearning for something that no longer exists.

And I always like Perkins more. They have fabulous pancakes and their pies are to die for.

But geez, if the guy misses Denny's that is okay, too.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Funny. We were just on vacation and my husband suggested that we stop at a Denny's since it was so long ago since we ate at one. Well, it was nothing exciting. In fact, it seemed to be much better several years ago, so you might be yearning for something that no longer exists.

And I always like Perkins more. They have fabulous pancakes and their pies are to die for.

But geez, if the guy misses Denny's that is okay, too.
Oh I definitely prefer Perkins more, too. Their breakfasts are much better, and like you said they have good bakeries. When I lived in Memphis I had a neighbor who worked at Perkins and was always giving me free pies and muffins. I miss that. sigh

WiFi is not offered at every Denny's, it's up to each franchisee. There are plenty of other places in Knoxville that have 24-hour WiFi. Even several Pilot locations offer it.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:41 AM

Most Denny's offer WiFi. Which Pilot stations offer it? And what other 24 hr places offer it?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,779,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Lake View Post
The lack of Denny's

What?! Even IHOP is better than Denny's. Perkins is better by far...

Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 PM

I guess you guys have had worse Denny's experiences than I have and better IHOP/Perkins/Waffle House ones.

*shrug*

Old 03-12-2010, 01:15 PM

47 posts, read 159,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Our farmer's market is not enormous if you are comparing it to a large metro area. Local farmers and others run it on Wednesdays and Saturdays. We have riverboat rides, a scenic train ride, the beautiful Tennessee Theater, the Bijou, the new Riviera Cinema, Mast General Store and many nice restaurants. I think a day of it or two would be nice with perhaps a show afterwards. We also have some great outdoor concerts here, that are free and held in Market Square.
I think in all fairness you need to specify more details regarding life in Ktown. As a resident (not my only one), I would also point to the following:

It is easy to find a nice home for less money, however you will note the workmanship is not in par with the northern builds;

It is also easy to find nice homes, but it is also possible the next home or complex are mobile homes or 'slab homes';

I40 has been repaired, but for a few years it was a problem, especially on game day.

Speaking of which, I hope you like college football. It is not a matter of how do you feel about something, it is a matter of "how does your opinion affect the Vols"? Area code 865 - stands for V.O.L, I kid you not.

In my opinion you will not find nicer people in passing, not because they are genuine (well not, JUST because), but because they retain their sense of civility toward one another and strangers.

There are areas very near Ktown where crime is a problem but unsuspecting, like the strip malls along the Pike. My friend was robbed at work at gunpoint one evening. It was not expected in that area. However the suspects have been caught which is very encouraging.

I would also suggest going to a civil war museum/home; you will get a very different perspective on TN's involvement than what is taught in general, and there are many who are of that mind-set, particularly among the 2nd and third generations;

You can make friends very easily, however there is also a mindset that if you're not a grandparent by 40 then there's a problem somewhere.

If I hate it so much why am I still a resident? Because I love it for everything already said, I'm just rounding out the thread.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,466 times
Hello Everyone! It appears this thread is in a dormant state, but I will post none the less in hopes that it will be read. I couldn't help but giggle about the people who are tired of Florida. My husband and I are also at our wits end living here in Jupiter, FL. I will admit that Jupiter is much nicer then previous cities we lived in like West Palm or Lake Worth. However we've been researching possible places he can relocate to within his company and Knoxville has peaked our interest for a number of reasons. One being of course there is a branch of his company. We love season changes and that is something you dont get here. Also its within 4 hours of both our parents. Not to mention that TN is just simply a beautiful state. The cost of living is skyrocketing here in FL and it's almost impossible for a middle class american to make it. I've been doing a lot of research about cities and rentals. It is not possible for us to visit and look at homes because our income does not allow it. Does anyone have any adivce on areas to avoid getting a home in? I'm a bit skeptical of seeing ads for a 3/1 home for rent at $625 a month in Knoxville, seems like it would be a shady neighborhood. We've looked at the towns of Maryville and Seymour and lean towards Maryville more that its not too small and not to big and within driving distance to work in Knoxville. Any info anyone could offer would be wonderful. Were looking at about 8 months from now, but I want to be fully prepared! Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville