Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,283,949 times

Advertisements

Can I move to Knoxville too? It sounds wonderful to hear ya'll talk about it. My hubby is actually from Jonesborough and went to college at UT. We are now in NM and he is putting in for a job in Knoxville, so keeping my fingers crossed that he gets it and we get to move to E TN. He has been away from home for 21 yrs and very much ready to come back. Although I am not from TN I call it home too, when we talk about going home we both now we are talking about TN. This thread is wonderful and hearing about how nice people are there makes me want to cry. You don't find that to much anymore. So hopefully the good Lord will smile down on us and we will get to come home.

Even after going back and reading the last page of posts I still want to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 03:48 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Can I move to Knoxville too? It sounds wonderful to hear ya'll talk about it. My hubby is actually from Jonesborough and went to college at UT. We are now in NM and he is putting in for a job in Knoxville, so keeping my fingers crossed that he gets it and we get to move to E TN. He has been away from home for 21 yrs and very much ready to come back. Although I am not from TN I call it home too, when we talk about going home we both now we are talking about TN. This thread is wonderful and hearing about how nice people are there makes me want to cry. You don't find that to much anymore. So hopefully the good Lord will smile down on us and we will get to come home.

Even after going back and reading the last page of posts I still want to move there.
Sure! You can move to Knoxville, too!

I wouldn't worry about the last page. I just don't see any kind of problems like that. NONE.

There are days that I could cry that I live here, too, but I mean that in a good way. It just makes such a difference in your day when you can stop and chat with people in the market. I just got back from Earth Fare and it was a wonderful experience.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:43 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,290,844 times
It really sounds like a wonderful place. It is the people there that make it sound so inviting , to me anyway.

I know that this is a dumbish question, but what is the typography like there ? Can you see hills or mountains from Knoxville? It isn't like Asheville, is it, all nestled in the Smokies?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-25-2009, 06:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
It really sounds like a wonderful place. It is the people there that make it sound so inviting , to me anyway.

I know that this is a dumbish question, but what is the typography like there ? Can you see hills or mountains from Knoxville? It isn't like Asheville, is it, all nestled in the Smokies?
I've never been to Asheville, so I don't know if I would be helpful with your answer. I will say that Knoxville is in a valley. The mountains are not right next to us, but we do have The Smokies on one side and The Cumberlands on the other. You can see them in the distance.

I hope that helps.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,290,844 times
Thanks, it does.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,077,227 times
Nancy, y'all still looking for a place to settle down.....

Old 06-25-2009, 10:50 PM

623 posts, read 1,543,594 times
Eh, not sure I've ever seen the mountains from anywhere but maybe the far reaches of South Knoxville, (minus House Mtn in NE Knox County of course). Even there, there's that ridge, around the ballfields if you're traveling Chapman, that I believe would block any views before you hit Seymour. Basically, our valley is huge and the views are nothing like Asheville.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,782,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Eh, not sure I've ever seen the mountains from anywhere but maybe the far reaches of South Knoxville, (minus House Mtn in NE Knox County of course). Even there, there's that ridge, around the ballfields if you're traveling Chapman, that I believe would block any views before you hit Seymour. Basically, our valley is huge and the views are nothing like Asheville.
There is a common misconception that Knoxville is IN the mountains like Asheville. But there are glimpses to be caught on certain ridges around town. There's one on Morell Rd. that's very nice in the winter after a mountain snow.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:40 PM

623 posts, read 1,543,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
There is a common misconception that Knoxville is IN the mountains like Asheville. But there are glimpses to be caught on certain ridges around town. There's one on Morell Rd. that's very nice in the winter after a mountain snow.
Oh yes, you can see plenty of ridges in Knoxville. I believe you're talking about the view of the what I think is called Beaver Ridge, viewed traveling north on Morrell Rd, no?

If you drive up the hill or ridge behind Rocky Hill Cemetary off Northshore you'll get an even more spectacular northern view.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:04 AM

188 posts, read 567,647 times
The Weather:
Yes, Knoxville has cool breezy summers compared to Florida or Southern Georgia. I do remember some time in South Carolina, and the summers' there were hot, too.

But the full blown, stanky, humid, hot heat of these areas is not just an occasional thing... it is relentless.... day and night. Walk your dog and 3am if you wish, and you will come home sweaty.

Here in Knoxville, I really like that on any given day, we get nice breaks from the heat. Sure, we have plenty of hot days, but hope is never lost.

I remember last August, we had days that felt like fall days... it was unbelievable. Even yesterday, a guy in the barber shop said, "it's a hot one, eh?". Nope. Not at all.

Just to be clear, is anyone suggesting that today (June 26) is "hot"?

BF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville