Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:03 AM

63 posts, read 209,748 times

Advertisements

I hate to drag up an old thread, but did you ever have any success on deciding where you would be going?

I was looking through my old posts, looking to follow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,222 times
I lived all my life(pre college) in Sneedville, Tennessee and at one time in my life it was known as the poorest county in the state and maybe the nation. I have seen so much work in all areas of the town in the past 10 years and I "pine" for the old Sneedville without the fast food and ther chain business. I know it is best for people to work.
The roads are not as bad or winding as some have would have you to believe. It is a piece of heaven and you can build on most of the land in the county. Yes, there are hills and small valleys but in California they build on the sides of banks and reclaimed desert everyday. The roads are very driveable a lot of imporvement has been made in this area. That is not a weakness you do not have to use a four wheel drive to move arount the paved county and most of the secondary roads are fine. Check it out that is Sneedville in the fall beautiful leaves and ask around there are resources that are unblieveable-bbq that is mouthwatering and catering that only can be found from home cottage business. sherry

Old 06-01-2008, 06:46 AM

6 posts, read 11,839 times
Smile Sneedville Beautiful, quaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I Am Looking To Get Out Of The Murder City Of New Orleans, And Would Like To Move To Sneedville.
How Long Is The Drive To Knoxville And Is There Any Stores In Sneedville , And What About Medical Care Around There? Any Crime There, I Want To Make Sure It Is Safe For My Kids?
I have two daughters and bought a home just outside of Sneedville. I like it because it is not the city. It is pure and beautiful. I did buy my home for a nearby Wal-mart or any of that city life. The town of Sneedville is charming and quaint. They have plenty there to survive, including a hospital, drug store, hardware, beauty shop, library, etc. It is beautiful and I love Sneedville.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:47 AM

6 posts, read 11,839 times
Quote:
Thank You For The Info. I Will Check Them Out. That Is What I Am Looking For No More Than 30min, But Not Crowded.
Morristown is a large town which is only 45 minutes from Sneedville. You will find everything a city has to offer there including Wal-mart.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:29 AM

5 posts, read 10,485 times
I was raised in Sneedville. Education was wonderful, and I remember many of the things I learned in History, and geography. We had field trips to the Smokies, and we had movies on the weekend, and its a wonderful location. If you need to work, however, moving closer to Kingsport or Johnson City, or Knoxville might be better. If you want a location with tons of jobs, go to Baltimore and DC area. Lots of homes, now cheap, and tons of government jobs and those related to Govt. I love the Maryland area. Tennessee is remote and beautiful. Yes, they do have some issues with Meth labs and that is true of many remote locations. MD is wonderful (best school system in the USA) and highest per capita income in USA. Tons of jobs.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,387,747 times
Hey skyking, why Sneedville, do you have family or friends there? I have been there many times, as my wifes grandparents grew up there, and in fact, papa Horner, even rode for the pony express, as a mail carrier. I agree, at least 1 hour and 45 minutes, to Knoxville, either by driving toward Bean Station and crossing the mountain, or Tazewell, or on the east or northern side, leaving Rogersville. Beautiful country, but absolutely nothing there. There are plenty country settings, within a 30 minute drive of Knox, all depending on what part of the county , you would like.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,552 times
Quote:
I Am Looking To Get Out Of The Murder City Of New Orleans, And Would Like To Move To Sneedville.
How Long Is The Drive To Knoxville And Is There Any Stores In Sneedville , And What About Medical Care Around There? Any Crime There, I Want To Make Sure It Is Safe For My Kids?
Sneedville is the last place you want to move to. They do have problems there, according to another forum online, the citizens of that town complain constantly about the law enforcement ignoring major problems such as "Drugs, Prostitution, and sweep much under the rug". It's an old money town, everyone is apparently related to everyone so they don't like "Strangers" and have had a very low growth rate since 2000. Hancock County is considered to be one of the poorest counties in Tennessee and the law enforcement doesn't even provide medical insurance for their employees. Sound like some place you'd like to move to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lizards View Post
Also, if you have any kids or plan to have any kids, remember that Hancock County is quite rural and doesn't (or didn't use to) have a lot of funding for education. Hancock County High used to have Spanish classes via video tape. Of course, this is from years ago.

Washburn would be a better bet. It's very pretty up there. Strangely, they seem to have a fair amount of problems from tornadoes and storms, however.
According to 2008 statistics only 50% have a high school education. They have literally no interest in education.

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-28-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reporteratlarge View Post
Sneedville is the last place you want to move to. They do have problems there, according to another forum online, the citizens of that town complain constantly about the law enforcement ignoring major problems such as "Drugs, Prostitution, and sweep much under the rug". It's an old money town, everyone is apparently related to everyone so they don't like "Strangers" and have had a very low growth rate since 2000. Hancock County is considered to be one of the poorest counties in Tennessee and the law enforcement doesn't even provide medical insurance for their employees. Sound like some place you'd like to move to?

According to 2008 statistics only 50% have a high school education. They have literally no interest in education.
And what are your credentials to make such sweeping statements about Sneedville? Prostitution in Sneedville? Lol. Everyone related to everyone? Absurd on the face of the statement. Hancock County is poor, on that you are correct, and it is a bit off the beaten path, but it is beautiful country. Hancock and Sneedville are obviously not for everyone, but the statements above are laughable in some ways. No Sneedville resident is probably concerned about a low growth rate, which Hancock has had for many years, because it insures a really laid-back lifestyle. As with any rural county, jobs are scarce and that is a problem, but many other rural counties face the same issue. If someone is looking for a location that is stepping back in time a bit, in a beautiful location, then Hancock and Sneedville is ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville