Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 9,171 times

Advertisements

They are not illegal aliens and we have tried to work with them but they did not offer any money. We are willing to give them 30 days but from the indications we are getting, they're not going to leave. I just wanted to know what to do if push comes to shove. They have one income and could afford some place cheaper. From what I understand, I can legally give them the 5 day pay or quit. You can't live rent free in Nevada. The answer were getting from them is we don't have any money to give you. I'm not a cold person who would like to put a family on the street. This house is not a rental by choice. We got all messed up in the housing market too and are on thin ice ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 PM

Does anyone know what the current rental market is like? How long are homes sitting on the market?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slhartman View Post
Does anyone know what the current rental market is like? How long are homes sitting on the market?
Check out the going rate for the area for similar homes. Then come in $50 - $100 under that. Make it up in a year. Don't try to get market or over...you can sit too long. The market is very, very dollar sensitive. $50 below the going rate will rent the thing in a week or so.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:15 AM

Thank you olecapt.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:00 PM

34 posts, read 98,348 times
Default Offer them a deal they can't refuse...

...and then get them to sign a lease. By all means, you need to protect yourself and you need to get any rental agreement in writing.

Pauline

Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,910 times
Figure out how much it is going to cost you to file and go to court along with the lost rent income for the time it takes to go to court. I would consider offering him a cash enticement to get out by a certain date. (Be sure you follow through and pay him) That way he has incentive not to trash your home which would cost more to fix. I would even go so far as to help him move just to get rid of him.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:03 PM

159 posts, read 360,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slhartman View Post
They are not illegal aliens and we have tried to work with them but they did not offer any money. We are willing to give them 30 days but from the indications we are getting, they're not going to leave. I just wanted to know what to do if push comes to shove. They have one income and could afford some place cheaper. From what I understand, I can legally give them the 5 day pay or quit. You can't live rent free in Nevada. The answer were getting from them is we don't have any money to give you. I'm not a cold person who would like to put a family on the street. This house is not a rental by choice. We got all messed up in the housing market too and are on thin ice ourselves.
They sound arrogant which would **** me off in itself. Did they even call to tell you they were going to be late on the rent or did you have to go out of your way to confront them? If the former, I'd be more apt to work with them. However, the latter indicates hubris which also indicates I'd want to throw their asses out asap.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:04 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
just call evictionlasvegas.. they will get them out easily.. i used them for my tenant.. 10 days and out

Old 08-09-2010, 02:14 AM

147 posts, read 409,625 times
Verbal Agreement:
NRS 118A.160 “Rental agreement” defined. “Rental agreement” means any oral or written agreement for the use and occupancy of a dwelling unit or premises.
(Added to NRS by 1977, 1331)

NRS 118A.210 Rental agreements: Payment of rent; term of tenancy.
1. Rent is payable without demand or notice at the time and place agreed upon by the parties.
2. Unless the rental agreement establishes a definite term, the tenancy is from week to week in the case of a tenant who pays weekly rent and in all other cases the tenancy is from month to month.

This is the way you would go about a "Pay and quit":

NRS 118A.430 Failure of tenant to comply with rental agreement or perform basic obligations: Termination of rental agreement.
1. Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, if the tenant fails to comply with the rental agreement or fails to perform his or her basic obligations under this chapter, the landlord may deliver a written notice to the tenant specifying the acts and omissions constituting the breach and that the rental agreement will terminate as provided in this section. If the breach is remediable and the tenant does not adequately remedy the breach or use his or her best efforts to remedy the breach within 5 days after receipt of the notice, or if the breach cannot be remedied, the landlord may terminate the rental agreement.
2. If the tenant is not reasonably able to remedy the breach, the tenant may avoid termination of the rental agreement by authorizing the landlord to enter and remedy the breach and by paying any reasonable expenses or damages resulting from the breach or the remedy thereof.
(Added to NRS by 1977, 1341)

Make sure you "serve" the notice to the tenants, and send one copy certified mail with return receipt if you can't meet with them. From the time of delivery you have the 5 days. To make sure you are free and clear, make them business days. then you should move to evict. get a constable and boom.

Good Luck

Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
i would be careful.. no lease equals month to month with a notice of 30 days..you have to terminate the agreement.. eg 30 days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas