Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 04:17 PM

422 posts, read 1,084,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner1974 View Post
So, I have been here for about six years now.

And I think my assessment is accurate: Vegas is just a town of people running away from life, from family, from their past...

Its a town of drifters.

In addition, this town does not value education. So, if you are educated, you are in the wrong city. It took me some time to get that. For example, when I interview, I have better education than the moron conducting the interview. So, they are not going to hire me because I am a threat to them.

I have also seen the most unprofessional people in this town. People not returning phone calls for important matters, managers taking off their tie during an interview because they were "hot", managers late for their own interview...

the list goes on and on.

I just didn't see these things in Chicago, my hometown.

Moving out soon, and I can't wait.

for the rest of you that love it out here, good luck. You are most likely holding on to a job that is in the service industry, where your lack of education is giving you an opportunity to make good money, money you wouldn't make elsewhere. I am happy for you. You all are smart to move out here, but just know that you are missing out by rubbing elbows with so many drifters that don't care about you or your community.
Wow! What a genius! But, why'd it take you six years! for your assessment? Since you profess to be so intelligent, I would have thought you would have figured Vegas out quicker. Like six hours. Move on!

Last edited by whyhateme; 08-08-2010 at 05:12 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 04:37 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
In addition, this town does not value education. So, if you are educated, you are in the wrong city. It took me some time to get that. For example, when I interview, I have better education than the moron conducting the interview. So, they are not going to hire me because I am a threat to them.

I don't get this one??? Why would someone with an education be a threat to someone without an education (the moron you were referring to) if this city doesn't value education? This doesn't compute! A little contradictory don't you think?? Seems to me, if this city doesn't value education they might value experience first.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhateme View Post
Wow! What a genius! But, why'd it take you six years! for your assessment? Since you profess to be so intelligent, I would have thought you would have figure Vegas out quicker. Like six hours. Move on!
I thought the exact same thing.

SIX YEARS to come to his conclusions that everyone else either instinctively knows or figures out in a half day...WOW.

If its consolation to him, if he goes back to Chicago, it will improve the Vegas intelligence gene pool by several notches as soon as he drives past the 'Thank You for visiting Las Vegas' highway sign.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:37 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I don't get this one??? Why would someone with an education be a threat to someone without an education
Because the person with the lower education would be scared of the higher-educated person eventually taking over their job. I'm not sure if the op was talking education based strictly on higher degree or if they're referring to innate intelligence. To me the latter makes more sense (since why would a lower-educated person be interviewing a higher-educated person for a postion in which presumably the person doing the interviewing would be in a supervisory postion regarding the person they're interviewing).

Re-rereading the post, he says "better education"--so yeah, they're just talking about innate intelligence, and I totally get that. In that situation, if an employee--perhaps they have a higher "degree" or "certification" or what have you--is interviewing someone that is more intelligent than them for a lower postiion job, that person will definitely not get hired.

Regarding the entire post, I have no direct comment. I've come to the conclusion that wherever you live, you bring your own perspective to it and that it is influenced by yourself more than those around you. Good luck with wherever the op decides to move. Sorry the city did not work out for you. I'm also from Chicago.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:06 PM

207 posts, read 734,454 times
turner1974, having been to Chicago, and seeing the urban blight, crime, and corruption of your politics there... I much prefer Vegas.

I would rather live surrounded by "drifters" than "Community organizers" if you catch my drift.

Sometimes I wonder if people are paid to come on to the Vegas boards in general and post negative information about Vegas.. its all the same story line ("Everyone is dumb", "everyone is unprofessional", everyone is a criminal "running away from their past") You couple that with the constant drumbeat of the media blasting out news stories nightly about what new list Vegas is the "Worst" on, and you start wondering who benefits if Vegas, and Nevada as a whole fails.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:40 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinga View Post
turner1974, having been to Chicago, and seeing the urban blight, crime, and corruption of your politics there... I much prefer Vegas.

I would rather live surrounded by "drifters" than "Community organizers" if you catch my drift.

Sometimes I wonder if people are paid to come on to the Vegas boards in general and post negative information about Vegas.. its all the same story line ("Everyone is dumb", "everyone is unprofessional", everyone is a criminal "running away from their past") You couple that with the constant drumbeat of the media blasting out news stories nightly about what new list Vegas is the "Worst" on, and you start wondering who benefits if Vegas, and Nevada as a whole fails.
Chinga,

Every 3 months or so, we get one of these people who for whatever reason think that Vegas was the cause of their lives taking a downturn. Of course, they make these ridiculous posts saying that Vegas is full of "drifters" or "losers" when the real residents know better.

Just another sad individual who knows nothing about the city. We wish him well.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
once Turner leaves, it will no longer be a town of "drifters"

Old 08-08-2010, 06:57 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,666,553 times
It looks like it's time to do a chlorine shock to the gene pool.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 PM

7 posts, read 12,052 times
Default This site has no creditability...

All I do is post the truth of Vegas, and it knocked down.

What is this site? Rose colored glasses?

What a ****ing joke.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 PM

367 posts, read 1,074,209 times
To me, it seems all you do is whine. Good luck finding creditability some place else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: