Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 08:07 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Prices are not "way down" in Las Vegas. So we don't have a negative market.

Prices are not "going up" in Las Vegas...so we don't have a positive market.

So it must be a "neutral" market.

Then again...maybe you have no idea what you are talking about?

The Nation hears things...but it knows very little and less than that about Las Vegas housing.

Ok, I defer to our beloved resident RE professional on this one, as I am certainly not in the business and admit that I may not know what I'm talking about. But could you please explain something to me (in layman's terms, please,) and maybe others, who may not understand?

You say 'prices are not "way down" in Las Vegas.' Yet, everytime my brother looks at his house on zillow.com, he sees another $3-4,000 (per month) less in equity. As you zoom out to the zip code level (89134)...the past year's graph looks quite the same. Same for all of Las Vegas?

I'd like to believe that prices are not way down, but how else to explain that, at it's peak (a little over 1 year ago), zillow shows a value of $330K, but now it shows $293K?

Last edited by jfkIII; 10-08-2007 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-08-2007, 09:17 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Ok, I defer to our beloved resident RE professional on this one, as I am certainly not in the business and admit that I may not know what I'm talking about. But could you please explain something to me (in layman's terms, please,) and maybe others, who may not understand?

You say 'prices are not "way down" in Las Vegas.' Yet, everytime my brother looks at his house on zillow.com, he sees another $3-4,000 (per month) less in equity. As you zoom out to the zip code level (89134)...the past year's graph looks quite the same. Same for all of Las Vegas?

I'd like to believe that prices are not way down, but how else to explain that, at it's peak (a little over 1 year ago), zillow shows a value of $330K, but now it shows $293K?
Sure....there are particular segments down as much as 15%. Bigger fancier houses mostly. There are also segments up 4 or 5%....also bigger fancier houses. New homes in the areas with high foreclosures...mostly the stuff built in 2005 and 2006 are down as much as 25%. There is one condo conversion that is down a third.

There are also vast tracts built before 2005 that are within a few percent of their peak.

The standard accuracy on Zillow is about +- 25%. It is however convenient so accuracy is not an issue apparently. Why do you look at a known defective source for information?

To me the amazing thing about this market is that the price has not dropped hard. With the huge inventories and slow sales that is what the books call for. Every RE operation in town is exhorting their agents to get prices down. They don't know what else to do.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 AM

Thanks. Is there a better source than zillow? I knew they were off when my dad's house on LI sold for about 15% less than zillow's estimate, and I also knew that their estimate was not based on the particular characteristics of the house (i.e., condition) but rather, on some set formular involving recent sales in the area, and sq ft, # ba/brs, etc. But I thought all RE's use the same formula, with the little variation for house condition, extras, etc., no?

Also, I've read that you feel that the housing situation in LV turned before the subprime lending mess began. If so, IYO, what contributed to the decrease in demand and increase in inventory, there?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:09 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Just another shootout on the "strip"-- bullets fly at the CVS-Monte Carlo.
Haha, no wonder no one is hurt or dead from this one, it was a bebe gun! cracks me up

Old 10-09-2007, 11:57 AM

It might funny in hindsight, but touting a gun (even a water pistol) around armed police can lead to a dangerous situation, especially a crowded place like The Strip. Most cops are trained to react to anything pointed at them, and then assess the situation.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:02 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
if it looks like a gun....it is a gun and you deserve to get shot if you point it at a cop.....anywhere.......even Gnu Yawk

Old 10-09-2007, 12:08 PM

Got that right! CJ will tell us, I'm sure.

(off-topic, but gnu yawk related...am I ever happy to see those NY Yankees go down again...I HATE The Yankees! The Mets (my team) went down, in an even more embarrasing way! Talk about the LV economy collapsing....The NY Mets rally COLLAPSED!!!!!!)

Old 10-09-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Got that right! CJ will tell us, I'm sure.

(off-topic, but gnu yawk related...am I ever happy to see those NY Yankees go down again...I HATE The Yankees! The Mets (my team) went down, in an even more embarrasing way! Talk about the LV economy collapsing....The NY Mets rally COLLAPSED!!!!!!)
Havent been a baseball fan since the Brooklyn Dodgers left

Old 10-09-2007, 12:17 PM

dyn...My grandmother, who grew up in Brooklyn, and was a Dodger fan (as ALL of Brooklyn was) got me watching baseball when I was just a little kid. She taught me to HATE 2 teams forever and always...1) The Yankees...those cross-town arrogant SOB's and 2) The Dodgers...for skipping out of town in the middle of the night!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
dyn...My grandmother, who grew up in Brooklyn, and was a Dodger fan (as ALL of Brooklyn was) got me watching baseball when I was just a little kid. She taught me to HATE 2 teams forever and always...1) The Yankees...those cross-town arrogant SOB's and 2) The Dodgers...for skipping out of town in the middle of the night!
She was a knowledgeable lady......I hung up baseball then....never watched a game since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas