Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 11:21 AM

30 posts, read 51,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No, dear poster, we're not supposed to do a god-damned thing except amuse ourselves by reading here. And if that amusement occasionally leads us to post comments or answer questions, then we do so.

But we do so at our pleasure.

I'm not here for anyone to grill me about life in Vegas and to offer rebuttals to asinine negative comments about the city that you've "heard."

You want to move here? Fine. You don't? Makes no difference to me. In fact, perhaps you can persuade a couple of other whiny malcontents to depart the city as well.
Looks like someone has a case of the Monday's . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 11:29 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam451 View Post
Looks like someone has a case of the Monday's . . .
+1 for the "Office Space" reference. I actually have a red swingline stapler.

You gotta love MMOB. There are certain posters here who have such a command of snark that it impresses me.

Welcome to the valley, OP. It ain't all tea and roses.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:41 AM

30 posts, read 51,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Welcome to the valley, OP. It ain't all tea and roses.
Thanks! But I'm still looking for now. I'm ready to move on the right opportunity if it presents itself but right now I'm just meeting with an agent and then driving the neighborhoods.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:40 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
... You want to know how to pick a city?

Find ONE THING YOU LIKE a LOT, forget everything else, and move there...
Quote:
Ok fair enough. I REALLY like the thought of paying zero state income tax. It means a lot to me personally and financially. I LIKE IT A LOT. I hope that's enough to get me through this transition . . ..

For us, there were a few things: We really love no state income tax, the world-class entertainment & the food (more celebrity chefs per capita than anywhere else). We really like the dry heat of the summers, and the service-oriented economy (we are big consumers of services).

Moreover, we really, really, hate humidity & bugs, which ruled out most other places that have the things we love.

I'm disappointed in the quality of medical care here. For scheduled medical care, we depart for other places. (We do have an orthopedic surgeon here who we love).

Old 10-27-2012, 12:45 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Just for fun...and actually apropos for this thread...views of Southern CA cities...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/25881493-post123.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/23772881-post18.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/25756790-post22.html

You could almost do a single form and leave the city blank...

Note this was from a ten minute hunt...so it was no challenge to find them.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:38 PM

419 posts, read 907,259 times
Quote:
Ok fair enough. I REALLY like the thought of paying zero state income tax. It means a lot to me personally and financially. I LIKE IT A LOT. I hope that's enough to get me through this transition . . ..
I agree, but you are aware there are seven others states with no state incometax, right?

...including, Florida, Tennessee, Washington, Texas, Wyoming, Alaska, and New Hampshire.

There could be friendly people in those no-tax states, but I haven't checked all the houses, yet. :-)

Old 10-28-2012, 10:51 AM

13 posts, read 26,562 times
Vegas is just like LA, just on a smaller scale.People are no friendly unless they want something from you and making friends is difficult, and they drive like idiots here, many people are broke and angry, I feel right at home.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASJEEPER View Post
Vegas is just like LA, just on a smaller scale.People are no friendly unless they want something from you and making friends is difficult, and they drive like idiots here, many people are broke and angry, I feel right at home.
One of many broad overgeneralization posts that should be taken with a large grain of salt.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:59 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
[quote=VEGASJEEPER;26701906]Vegas is just like LA, just on a smaller scale.People are no friendly unless they want something from you and making friends is difficult, and they drive like idiots here, many people are broke and angry, I feel right at home.[/quote]

Ha!

Everybody I know complains about the way people drive here, but we imported most of our bad drivers.
(From southern California)

Seriously though, as someone stated above (I'm paraphrasing) It is what you make it. People in Las Vegas remind me somewhat of the Jamaicans I've met on my trips there. Reserved and cautious at first, but great once you get to know them, and it takes just a tiny gesture on your part to break down that wall. Whether or not you choose to do that is up to you.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
I have driven in virtually every major city in the US. Southern CA and Las Vegas drivers are quite good. There are some exceptions...beware of pickup trucks...but basically among the best drivers in the US.

Western drivers show a high skill level and a level of courtesy not shown on the east coast.

In general US drivers are sloppy compared to European drivers. Though there are few places in the US where they drive as badly (aggressively) as the Italians do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas