Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:49 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I'd use Meetup as a vehicle for meeting people, but they never schedule anything that fits my work schedule. I'm in a fine-dining restaurant, so I work weekends. There's no way around it.

So pencil me in with the group who says that it's hard to meet people, people aren't very friendly, and there's a lot of scammers and tweakers in this town.

Scoop, I can't even begin to think what you might have been looking for that you didn't find groups that Meetup on weekdays. The description of a Meetup called "Weekday Adventures" specifically says, "We live in a 24/7 town and many people don’t have the weekend off to do things. This page is for all of you in that boat. We are interested in getting together and doing anything new, fun, exciting or adventurous. And because we have the weekdays open, we can often take advantage of offers from vendors who are willing to give us a substantial discount in order to attract us into their places of business on the weekdays."

Dining and Vining has meetups on Wednesdays and Thursdays as often as Friday and Sunday. A great instructional photography group meets different weekdays constantly. Walkers & Hikers has a walk every Monday evening, Mountain Biking has meetups on Thursdays. The Board Games Meetup, the Ping Pong group, and something calling itself Pizza Posse all meet on Wednesdays. Funny Bones goes to comedy clubs as a group mostly on week nights. A Buddhist group meets on Thursday mornings. A computer group has a regular Saturday "Hack In," but most of their instructional things are on weekdays. Virtually every Meetup dealing with business networking or entrepreneurs meets on weekdays. There's a Diners, Drive-ins and Dives group that chows down mostly on Tuesday or Wednesday. If you're finished working by Sunday night, that's when the Sports Bar Meetup gathers for Sunday Night Football. Over 40 Singles has happy hours virtually every day of the week. A group that calls itself City Nights watches Monday Night Football together and has happy hours on Wednesdays and Thursdays ... even their Christmas party is on a Monday.

No excuse I can see for anyone who wants to use Meetup in Las Vegas not to find some kind of group. And just in case you have a hankering to meet goths, they get together on Tuesday nights.

And to the OP I'd like to note, every statement you heard said about Vegas is something I've heard said repeatedly about Phoenix. But they also have the added attraction of being thought of as "the kidnapping capital of America."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 07:50 PM

80 posts, read 145,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASJEEPER View Post
Vegas is just like LA, just on a smaller scale.People are no friendly unless they want something from you and making friends is difficult, and they drive like idiots here, many people are broke and angry, I feel right at home.
lol...I see this every day, sadly....Its especially daunting when the urban remedy is 7 burglaries per month in my neighborhood, within a 1 mile radius.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:56 PM

30 posts, read 51,030 times
Just to update everyone - I just got back from my trip. I had a successful meeting with a real estate agent in the Northwest area and I think I may have found a place I want to proceed with. I spent some time in that neighborhood and had both breakfast & lunch there. It felt extremely suburban and detached from all of Las Vegas so it was perfect in that regard. I saw a lot of SUVs, a lot of shopping areas with stores that indicate families (Home Depot, Michaels etc).

I have the rental application with me and it's possible that I'll hear back soon.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,874,907 times
The way I see it, Vegas is a nice place to visit but why ppeople would want to live there beats me. It is not a nice place outside of the strip and that street with the music video canopy. If you ever go there, rent a car for a day and drive around the place where regular people live and tourist don't usually go. It is depressing. You see trash, grafitti and lots of bums, drunks and derelics on the street. And the summers there are like hell on earth. So hot it will burn your fingers to touch your car.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 PM

30 posts, read 51,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
The way I see it, Vegas is a nice place to visit but why ppeople would want to live there beats me. It is not a nice place outside of the strip and that street with the music video canopy. If you ever go there, rent a car for a day and drive around the place where regular people live and tourist don't usually go. It is depressing. You see trash, grafitti and lots of bums, drunks and derelics on the street. And the summers there are like hell on earth. So hot it will burn your fingers to touch your car.
Oh boy . . . something tells me this isn't going to end well for you . . .

Old 10-28-2012, 08:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
You have not the faintest idea what you are talking about. Still you do it.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,127,019 times
Quote:
WHAT?????????

Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
Quote:
It is depressing. You see trash, grafitti and lots of bums, drunks and derelics on the street.
I bet you got lost behind the Stratosphere.

Sent from cell...

Old 10-28-2012, 09:28 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
You know, we are not allowed to call people idiots on this site. Nor are we allowed to tell them to go... themselves. Not allowed to tell you to go blow a donkey. That sort of behavior simply isn't allowed here.

That said, when I'm calling people out, I tend to try to spell things correctly. Even the drunks know how to spell derelict. But thanks for playing.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 PM

80 posts, read 145,061 times
Well...isn't that guy correct? Of course he's generalizing, but do your homework and see for yourself?

That goes double for immediate areas by the Strip. Sierra Vista especally....

And yes I misspelled "especially" wrong. I don't give a damn, you know what I typed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas