Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimit2 View Post
Yep, they gave up that filthy and addictive cigarette habit. ...
I'm not a smoker (e - or otherwise),
but don't the e-cigs still contain nicotine? Isn't that the addictive part?

Does Vegas have an age restriction for them like regular cigarettes? (I would hope so!)

Old 09-30-2013, 10:13 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post

Does Vegas have an age restriction for them like regular cigarettes? (I would hope so!)
Yes it has nicotine and yes nicotine is addictive. Personally I don't care as long as I'm not inhaling the 100+ other carcinogens in cigarettes.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:55 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post

It has the same addictive qualities as, say, caffeine. The benefit is that they don't have the tar, cyanide, carbon monoxide, and 1000 other chemicals and additives that cigarettes (and thus second hand smoke) contain. Basically nicotine (like what is found in the gum or patch) and heated water vapor. I'm weaning myself off cigarettes and using e-cigs more than I have before. I like the flavor of the e-cigs a bit better, and there are some good ones out there that give the "throat hit" that smokers crave.

I had a groupon and bought GreenSmoke. It was about $40 for 2 batteries, 10 cartomizers, and 2 chargers. They are cig lookalikes, as I don't like the big contraptions that make it look like I'm smoking a crack pipe LOL.

What I did find odd is that some places have notices posted that smoking is not allowed including e-cigs. I guess people haven't realized fully that it is fundamentally the same as the steam coming from your cup of coffee. I'd like to see some more advertising out there so people understand it is water, not smoke.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:49 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
What I did find odd is that some places have notices posted that smoking is not allowed including e-cigs. I guess people haven't realized fully that it is fundamentally the same as the steam coming from your cup of coffee. I'd like to see some more advertising out there so people understand it is water, not smoke.
In these cases I think it's one of two reasons:

1) They don't want people doing drugs in public. (Although that's the height of hypocrisy for places like Charbucks.)

2) They just want nicotine slaves to suffer. (And sew a scarlet "S" on your shirt for "smoker," sinner.)

There may be decent arguments for #1 -- kids see consequence-free smoking and think, "can't wait to try that." But they also see alcohol billboards and coffee is advertised everywhere. But let's be honest, nicotine is one of the hardest substances to quit. I wouldn't wish nicotine addiction on my worst enemy.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:20 AM

646 posts, read 1,157,082 times
I'm sure I'm going to be sorry for venturing an opinion here ...

Perhaps they don't want any type of tobacco in their establishments, whether as smoke wafting through the air, or in steam wafting through the air.

That said, my theory with visiting restaurants is that it would be best for all to smoke outside, rather than where people are eating. At least, it's polite.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV View Post

Perhaps they don't want any type of tobacco in their establishments, whether as smoke wafting through the air, or in steam wafting through the air.

That said, my theory with visiting restaurants is that it would be best for all to smoke outside, rather than where people are eating. At least, it's polite.
I completely agree about restaurants. I have gone to a few of the VP parlor/restaurants and it's a bit much.

Just an aside, no tobacco in e-cigs. Literally the same as caffeinated steam coming from coffee. But I understand your point. It LOOKS like smoking so they don't want that. Although gum chewing LOOKS like eating, and that isn't banned from places that don't allow food/drink.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:04 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV View Post

There is no tobacco in e-cigs and other people can't smell them. I've stood right behind someone who was puffing an e-cig and I didn't even know it until I turned around to see it. I suppose I could get a faint whif if they blew it directly into my face, but if that happened, they would need to worry about a lot more than e-cigs harming their health.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:05 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,578,117 times
It's a control thing. Someone came up with a way they thought would satisfy everyone (and it really should have), but one group took it as the other group "getting one over on them".

Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 AM

646 posts, read 1,157,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
There is no tobacco in e-cigs and other people can't smell them.
Okay. This Wikipedia article says that some e-cigs do contain nicotine:
Electronic cigarette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As to why they're not accepted by some, I'm not willing to guess. Perhaps that's the reason.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
It's a control thing. Someone came up with a way they thought would satisfy everyone (and it really should have), but one group took it as the other group "getting one over on them".
I think that particular group looks at using nicotine in public as similar to shooting heroin in public. From a "difficulty in kicking the habit" standpoint, they're similar. But in no other way, of course. eCigs are basically the same as methadone for the nicotine addict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas