Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 01:14 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,337,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You don't have to tell a traffic cop that there is a gun in your car, it just makes good sense not to startle a guy with a license to kill. I'm pretty sure most of our hand gun laws in Nevada are there only because of shootings in Las Vegas and Reno. Otherwise our laws would still be as libertarian as Wyoming's. Thanks for the info. When I'm elected president I'll require everyone above the age of ten to have firearms safety training and to re-qualify on the firing range at least every five years. There will be no gun laws except that maybe you must own one. You will also have to serve your country for at least one year after high school in some capacity.
In LV, one may carry a loaded handgun in the car, or on their person, in "plain" sight. However, in NLV, one may not. To conceal a handgun, one must also have the CCW permit in their possession, and volunteer this info to law enforcement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:39 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,632,889 times
This seems to cover it fully. Apparently it's illegal to carry a concealed weapon on your person inside your own home. But you can carry a gun concealed in your car.

Untitled Document

Old 07-11-2009, 07:53 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,337,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This seems to cover it fully. Apparently it's illegal to carry a concealed weapon on your person inside your own home. But you can carry a gun concealed in your car.

Untitled Document
Very good post.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:03 AM

13 posts, read 45,554 times
Quote:
Wyoming state law forbids counties and municipalities from enacting any gun legislation. If you are stopped you are not required to inform the police officer that you have a gun.
Legally required or not, one should always declare posession of a firearm during a traffic stop. A cop's job is hard/dangerous enough without having to possibly be surprised by your handgun. Not to mention it's in your own best interest to do so. The cop would have no way of knowing what your intentions were, why turn it in to a guessing game?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:37 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,401,749 times
Quote:

Untitled Document
Obviously that statement was poorly written, and just as obviously the document is from a club, not the state. But I have seen some poorly written docs from state employees. I believe they are trying to say you can conceal a weapon in your home but not on your person OUTSIDE the home without the CCW. Isn't that the link I posted a few posts back?

Old 07-11-2009, 04:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,632,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YadaYoda View Post
Legally required or not, one should always declare posession of a firearm during a traffic stop. A cop's job is hard/dangerous enough without having to possibly be surprised by your handgun. Not to mention it's in your own best interest to do so. The cop would have no way of knowing what your intentions were, why turn it in to a guessing game?

It's a terrible idea. You don't know what the cop's attitude is, but you know it's going to prolong the encounter and bring up questions. The cop will become suspicious and wonder why you brought it up. The cop didn't stop you to make a new friend. Be courteous and pleasant, but be dignified. Trying to ingratiate with a cop isn't smart. Besides if your gun is concealed, how could he be surprised by it?

Old 07-11-2009, 05:12 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,791,039 times
No need to tell a cop you have a concealed weapon, unless he or she asks or if they say they are going to search the car. Now if the gun is not concealed and in view of the officer you better tell them you have a gun.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:14 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,451,833 times
Quote:
It's a terrible idea. You don't know what the cop's attitude is, but you know it's going to prolong the encounter and bring up questions. The cop will become suspicious and wonder why you brought it up. The cop didn't stop you to make a new friend. Be courteous and pleasant, but be dignified. Trying to ingratiate with a cop isn't smart. Besides if your gun is concealed, how could he be surprised by it?
FWIW, some states require you to disclose that you're carrying if any contact is initiated with a cop. As this thread illustrates, gun laws vary significantly from state to state. When in Rome...

Old 07-11-2009, 05:32 PM

13 posts, read 45,554 times
Quote:
The cop will become suspicious? And wonder why you brought it up? Newsflash, not every cop will do or wonder the same thing. It's foolish to speak in generalities here. As for being surprised even though it's concealed, things happen. A car is a small space, guns shift during transit... it's just unfair to the police officer, he should know what he's dealing with. And again, it makes a possibly tragic misunderstanding less likely.

But you're obviously set in your ways. I just hope a cop doesn't one day get jammed up because of it. And one final note, most cops I know appreciate the honesty. It might even help with whatever reason you were stopped in the 1st place.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:14 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,451,833 times
I believe this is a full list of the "must inform" states - Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Michigan, North Carolina, South Carolina, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Texas. I'm a little surprised to see Texas on this list.

In a state where I wasn't required to inform the officer, I'd use my best judgement. If I got pulled over for doing 5 over the speed limit, I don't think I'd see any value in notifying the officer. If I had to get out of the car and was going to be in close proximity to the officer, I may let him/her know that I was carrying concealed. It would depend on the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas