Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:32 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,628,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
FWIW, some states require you to disclose that you're carrying if any contact is initiated with a cop. As this thread illustrates, gun laws vary significantly from state to state. When in Rome...

If the law requires it, inform the cop. I was referring to states that do not have that requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 08:55 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,451,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
If the law requires it, inform the cop. I was referring to states that do not have that requirement.
When you said it was a terrible idea to notify a cop you are carrying, you offered no qualifier like, "unless required by law." I thought it fair to warn anyone reading the thread that in some states you are required to inform.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:12 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,395,919 times
Default Guns in car in California

Traveling with Firearms in California - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,153,394 times
if the cop doesn't know and then FINDS out.....he may shoot you.....justifyably so .......remember.....he has a gun too....

I would far prefer to let him know....

I believe [in most states] if you have a wepon it must be A unloaded B not within your reach C seperate from the amunition. [at least that is how I carry it.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:06 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,451,245 times
I thought these points had been discussed earlier in the thread, but for further clarification; if you have a Nevada CCW, you may have a loaded gun concealed on your person. That is the point of having a CCW in the first place.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:02 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,395,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
if the cop doesn't know and then FINDS out.....he may shoot you.....justifiably so .......remember.....he has a gun too....

I believe [in most states] if you have a weapon it must be A unloaded B not within your reach C separate from the ammunition. [at least that is how I carry it.
Adding that kind of guesswork is just confusing. People need facts not opinion. As was covered before in this thread and several other threads, IN NEVADA, as in some other states, it is perfectly LEGAL TO HAVE A LOADED WEAPON IN YOUR CAR, ON THE FRONT SEAT, IN THE GLOVE BOX, OR UNDER THE SEAT. It is only illegal IF YOU TRY TO CONCEAL IT ON YOUR PERSON unless you have a CCW. If you do have a CCW (otherwise known as a carry permit) it is legal to hide it (the weapon, not the permit) on your person as long as you have the permit FOR THAT WEAPON with you. You do not have to keep the ammo separate, you do not have to hide the handgun in the trunk, and it does not have to be empty (unloaded). After all, what good is an empty gun?

The point is that if you are stopped for a traffic violation, it is always a good idea to tell the policeman that there is a gun, and where it is so that he doesn't feel threatened if he happens to see it and thinks you might be a threat and shoots you. It isn't a law...it is common sense. And for goodness sakes...don't pick it up to show him. Offer to get out and let him move it if he wants to, but don't make any stupid moves. In my personal experience with that situation, he will say "thank you", give you your ticket, and let you be on your way.

People get this confused with the hunting laws which are different. If you are HUNTING you are not supposed to be driving around with a loaded rifle or shotgun. It is dangerous to enter of leave a vehicle with a loaded rifle or shorgun. 9 times out of 10 it will be pointed in the direction of the driver or a passenger and many a hunter has shot his buddy that way. Besides, this isn't Texas, and you aren't supposed to shoot at game from the vehicle like they do there.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,797,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I figured I knew which forum you were referring to, so I went to check it out and I'm about 99% sure it's the one you're talking about. Great pics! I especially like these (reposted/rehosted to anonymize the source):

People that go off about having kids around guns are nuts. It's all about what you're teaching them and how you're raising them. We have two boys in the house, 13 and 15, and I'm more concerned about an intruder picking up and using a gun that's not secured than I am them.
I agree but if you have a 3,4 or 5 year old different matter. Gon should be locked up. They have biometric safes now where you slap a finger on the thing and have the gun in 2 seconds. No need to leave it laying around.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
You don't have to tell a traffic cop that there is a gun in your car, it just makes good sense not to startle a guy with a license to kill. I'm pretty sure most of our hand gun laws in Nevada are there only because of shootings in Las Vegas and Reno. Otherwise our laws would still be as libertarian as Wyoming's. Thanks for the info. When I'm elected president I'll require everyone above the age of ten to have firearms safety training and to re-qualify on the firing range at least every five years. There will be no gun laws except that maybe you must own one. You will also have to serve your country for at least one year after high school in some capacity.

Those are good ideas!

Old 07-19-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It might be a good idea to tell the cop anyway so you don't end up accidently dead. People have been shot by cops for having cell phones in their hands. I would hate to think what would happen if he pulled you over and you opened your glove box to get your registration or insurance and a gun fell out! It could get ugly fast!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:27 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,628,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
if the cop doesn't know and then FINDS out.....he may shoot you.....justifyably so .......remember.....he has a gun too....

I believe [in most states] if you have a wepon it must be A unloaded B not within your reach C seperate from the amunition. [at least that is how I carry it.

Do you really believe a cop is justified in shooting you because you didn't tell him you had a gun?

And why do you bother to carry a gun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas