Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:20 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times

Advertisements

I come to see the parade of [excrement]kickers.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 10:55 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
I come for the arrogant "salami" waving.
Which comes from the Genoa Valley of Northern Italy. Otherwise it's not a salami.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:25 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,951,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Which comes from the Genoa Valley of Northern Italy. Otherwise it's not a salami.

I got a kick out of that because for me, that's literally true.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:25 PM

Ignorance about the product doesn't just mean the customer gets a bogus product. It literally supports crime and terrorism. 60 Minutes did a segment about fake olive oil. Here it is:

Agromafia - CBS News

Old 01-03-2016, 08:21 PM

Too late to edit. They included a "how to buy olive oil."

How to buy olive oil - Videos - CBS News

Keep in mind, the only real way to get the real thing all the time is to know how real olive oil tastes. Since upwards of 80% of the oil on the shelves is either adulterated or outright fraudulent, an educated palate is the only defense.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:01 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,725,143 times
I read about this a few years back. Now I only buy CA grown olive oil from Trader Joes.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:27 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,700 times
For the goodness of heaven, does the monkey with the revolver put his ruddy hands even on oil salami and mozzarella? be damned for eternity.
N.B: but is that meatloaf good?

Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 AM

743 posts, read 968,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You're suggesting that areas which made great products prior to the invention of copyright and trademark law are SOL?

Furthermore, even though Champagne tries to protect its name (as does Parma cheese and Modena vinegar), we still counterfeit the stuff. I can buy American-made "champagne" at any supermarket. We're a bunch of hypocrites when it comes to intellectual property. Download a movie and that's "piracy." Ruin an entire region's industry and that's "generic."

And finally, when I speak of counterfeit olive oil, I'm talking about oil that didn't come from olives. Usually, it's vegetable oil with added chlorophyll. This is dumped on us because the counterfeiters know most of us are too ignorant to know the difference.

My solution is education. Others seem to think we should just quit caring about how food is labeled. It really is that cut-and-dry.
I see your point, but public familiarity with a product makes the term mainstream...

"Put a BAND-AID on it"
"Does that army uniform come with VELCRO patch panels?"
"GOOGLE it"

If I go to yahoo to search instead, if the Velcro co. didn't make the army panel or if I got a sticky long rectangular piece with a tissue section in the middle at the dollar store, can I not refer to it as a band-aid etc...?

Old 01-06-2016, 11:17 AM

743 posts, read 968,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Too late to edit. They included a "how to buy olive oil."

How to buy olive oil - Videos - CBS News

Keep in mind, the only real way to get the real thing all the time is to know how real olive oil tastes. Since upwards of 80% of the oil on the shelves is either adulterated or outright fraudulent, an educated palate is the only defense.
I recently came back from 3 weeks in Spain end of November...outstanding point about the olive oil. You could drink it over there. Delicious.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
I see your point, but public familiarity with a product makes the term mainstream...

"Put a BAND-AID on it"
"Does that army uniform come with VELCRO patch panels?"
"GOOGLE it"

If I go to yahoo to search instead, if the Velcro co. didn't make the army panel or if I got a sticky long rectangular piece with a tissue section in the middle at the dollar store, can I not refer to it as a band-aid etc...?

Just because lots of people do it doesn't make it right. The people who care most about this are the legitimate producers -- vintners, cheesemakers, bakers, farmers, etc.

This is the way I look at it -- if some Chinese company distilled a brown whiskey that tasted like the bad end of an orangutan and then called it "bourbon" and tried to sell it to people in India who don't know any better -- I'd be upset about that. (Even though I don't own a bourbon distillery.)

So when we do the exact same thing with Parmesan, balsamic, champagne and Iberico (and hundreds more), these producers have every right to look at us and say, "Quit ripping off our good name."

If we're going to demand that other countries play fair with our products, we have to return the courtesy. Otherwise we're a bunch of damned hypocrites. Demanding that everyone here calls it "Genoa salami" -- even though it isn't -- is insulting.

I don't have any problem with making similar products. But trying to pass off one thing as another is black-and-white, no-gray-areas wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: