Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,786,973 times

Advertisements

Those examples are different than pizza which, by definition, is "a dish of Italian origin consisting of a flat, round base of dough baked with a topping of tomato sauce and cheese, typically with added meat or vegetables." No one is taking a slab of beef and calling it a pizza. They are taking a flat, round base of dough and baking with a topping. How they choose to do so is well within the realm of "pizza". Just because it originated in a particular country, doesn't mean it's exclusive to that country, any more than the hamburger is ONLY a hamburger if it comes from Athens, TX and is only made with mustard and bermuda onions on sliced bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 12:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
The first burger came from New Haven. Google "Louis' Lunch"

Your point would have more weight if what we're foisting off on an ignorant public had more of a resemblance to the real thing. I see pizza as just another example of a larger problem -- all the fake Parm, balsamic, olive oil, champagne and similar we have in our markets.

InBev recently got smacked because they were trying to pass off Beck's as "made in Germany." German brewers were rightly angry about that.

Just call it "Chicago Deep Dish" and the problem goes away. AND it will have the added bonus of elevating the dish because people are no longer trying to pass it off as something which it clearly isn't.

EDIT -- Let's turn it around and see how everyone likes it. Imagine if Europeans started eating baked chicken wings, doused with ketchup. And they called it "Buffalo Wings." (Not likely because Europeans aren't generally morons.) But let's say they did. The dish has a passing similarity to the real thing. And let's say it becomes the most popular food in Europe. And now let's say they come to New York on vacation, order some Buffalo wings -- and then send them back because, "Ach! These are so spicy! I said I wanted Buffalo wings. Don't you have any ketchup?!?!?"

Are these ketchup-dripping fakes now Buffalo wings? Of course they aren't. It's the same thing with most of the pizza sold in America. It has a passing similarity to the real thing. Nothing more.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 01-06-2016 at 12:25 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 01:06 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,965,555 times
Real pizza and real maple syrup. I'm glad I grew up in the north east. Fluff-A-Nutter sandwich or American Chop Suey anyone? I will give Giordanos a taste but as it has gone commercial my expectations won't be too high.

Just from my pizza experience the best pizza comes from family owned restaurants. That's their business and that's all they do. Oh yea sauce is called gravy.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

Your point would have more weight if what we're foisting off on an ignorant public had more of a resemblance to the real thing. I see pizza as just another example of a larger problem -- all the fake Parm, balsamic, olive oil, champagne and similar we have in our markets.

InBev recently got smacked because they were trying to pass off Beck's as "made in Germany." German brewers were rightly angry about that.

Just call it "Chicago Deep Dish" and the problem goes away. AND it will have the added bonus of elevating the dish because people are no longer trying to pass it off as something which it clearly isn't.

EDIT -- Let's turn it around and see how everyone likes it. Imagine if Europeans started eating baked chicken wings, doused with ketchup. And they called it "Buffalo Wings." (Not likely because Europeans aren't generally morons.) But let's say they did. The dish has a passing similarity to the real thing. And let's say it becomes the most popular food in Europe. And now let's say they come to New York on vacation, order some Buffalo wings -- and then send them back because, "Ach! These are so spicy! I said I wanted Buffalo wings. Don't you have any ketchup?!?!?"

Are these ketchup-dripping fakes now Buffalo wings? Of course they aren't. It's the same thing with most of the pizza sold in America. It has a passing similarity to the real thing. Nothing more.
Or google any of the 5 or 6 people who did the same thing up to 20 years earlier

Old 01-06-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:

It does. Is it not toppings on round baked dough? Now, if we were calling lentil stew "pizza", you might have an argument. But as long as there are toppings on baked dough, it's a pizza BY DEFINITION.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:17 PM

Toppings on baked dough isn't necessarily pizza. Just like sauce on chicken wings isn't necessarily Buffalo wings. Either this makes sense to you, or it doesn't.

When some random dude in Naples says, "Questo e la pizza," then it's pizza. Just like when some random dude in Buffalo says, "Good Buffalo wings, man," then it's Buffalo wings.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Toppings on baked dough isn't necessarily pizza. Just like sauce on chicken wings isn't necessarily Buffalo wings. Either this makes sense to you, or it doesn't.

When some random dude in Naples says, "Questo e la pizza," then it's pizza. Just like when some random dude in Buffalo says, "Good Buffalo wings, man," then it's Buffalo wings.
Only if you disagree with the definition of pizza. We will agree to disagree, I suppose.

And, just an FYI, buffalo wings, by definition, have a spicy sauce, so your argument is invalid. Have a great day

Old 01-06-2016, 03:32 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,965,555 times
Ok this is getting way to technical. Let's go another route. When you order your pizza what toppings are going to add?

Me: Sausage, Pepperoni, Onions, Garlic, Extra Cheese and Mushrooms. Of course washed down with a couple cold ones. Perfect.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:32 PM

Pizza, by definition, is cooked at extremely high temperatures for a short time, usually in a wood-fired brick oven.

It is not a floppy, gloppy, limp mess. I don't think you're ever going to get it. Enjoy your Papa John's.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Pizza, by definition, is cooked at extremely high temperatures for a short time, usually in a wood-fired brick oven.

It is not a floppy, gloppy, limp mess. I don't think you're ever going to get it. Enjoy your Papa John's.
I prefer Pizza Rock's version of pizza over Papa John's version of pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: