Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 04:14 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times

Advertisements

The equivalent to your pizza vs buffalo wings would be "baked chicken wings" not "buffalo wings" as that is something specific in the baked chicken wing family. Then they could put whatever sauce they want on it and still call it baked chicken wings.

If someone put sausage and mushrooms and bell peppers on the pizza and called it margherita, then I would have a problem. Call it a pizza supreme and I'm good with that. Both are pizza's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 05:44 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
I suspect you are being deliberately dense. If the Europeans made a crappy imitation of Buffalo wings -- and demanded they have the right to call it Buffalo wings because it's their prerogative -- we would tell them to pound sand. "Take your craptastic wings and get out of our continent."

What people simply won't wrap their heads around is that pizza refers to the crust -- not the toppings. Just like sushi refers to rice, not fish. These aren't my rules. The Italians and Japanese have written extensively on the subject.

So that big, limp, sloppy mess that passes for pizza in all but a handful of American pizza parlors simply isn't pizza at all. It's the equivalent of dousing chicken with ketchup and demanding that it's Buffalo wings. Or calling canned tuna "sushi."

Old 01-06-2016, 05:56 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Where's the popcorn?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:36 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I suspect you are being deliberately dense. If the Europeans made a crappy imitation of Buffalo wings -- and demanded they have the right to call it Buffalo wings because it's their prerogative -- we would tell them to pound sand. "Take your craptastic wings and get out of our continent."

What people simply won't wrap their heads around is that pizza refers to the crust -- not the toppings. Just like sushi refers to rice, not fish. These aren't my rules. The Italians and Japanese have written extensively on the subject.

So that big, limp, sloppy mess that passes for pizza in all but a handful of American pizza parlors simply isn't pizza at all. It's the equivalent of dousing chicken with ketchup and demanding that it's Buffalo wings. Or calling canned tuna "sushi."
I'm never deliberately dense. It's usually accidental.

What I'm saying is pizza has become a type of food. Like chicken wings or sandwiches. Why aren't you insisting the only type of sandwich is the exact type the Earl made the first time a thousand years ago?

Face it. Pizza has become a generic term. The pizza that you like is called good pizza by you. The pizza you don't like is called bad, by YOU.

We do appreciate you telling us that Settebellos and Pizza Rock are the best in town. I agree they are both great. But sometimes I want a casserole and I'll call it what I want. We just like choices.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:11 AM

97 posts, read 134,230 times
They have sadly gone way downhill, but it's decent.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:54 AM

743 posts, read 968,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

So when we do the exact same thing with Parmesan, balsamic, champagne and Iberico (and hundreds more),
These items I agree with you as it hurts the industry as whole...but for pizza, no need to make life anymore complicated.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:09 PM

I am in awe.

Of this thread about pizza. Pizza for God's sake! 86 posts in what is probably the 5th, 6th or more threads about the exact same thing with the exact same arguments and ego trips over and over and over.

Really?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:41 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I am in awe.

Of this thread about pizza. Pizza for God's sake! 86 posts in what is probably the 5th, 6th or more threads about the exact same thing with the exact same arguments and ego trips over and over and over.

Really?
This is not your average pizza thread. This is a Giordano's Pizza Thread.

True story:

2008 I guess it was we were driving So Cal to Detroit for USA Taekwondo Nationals. Going to we took the route that would allow us to visit The Grand Canyon, Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial, St Louis Gateway Arch etc. As we were standing under the arch we contemplated 2 directions of travel.

The family are big racing fans so option 1 was to head to Indianapolis next to visit one of the greatest racing meccas around.

The family are also big fans of yummy pizza and always wanted to try an authentic Chicago Deep Dish Pizza Pie, plus Chicago is a place we had always wanted to visit.

Pizza won and we set the GPS for Chicago.

Next morning we set out from our hotel and walked around Chicago. Rode the train, went to the top of the Sears tower etc. Fun stuff. But as we left the tower we decided it was time for the real reason we went to Chicago and practically right across the street from the tower was Giordano's.

It was a religious experience. So much so that I have ordered online and had them ship to my house at a cost of over $50. The experience just was not the same though unpacking it from dry ice and heating in my own oven etc. So I am thrilled to death that they are opening a pizza joint here and I will be one of the first to patronize it when they open.
Attached Thumbnails
Giordano's Pizza is coming.-gp.jpg  

Old 01-07-2016, 01:21 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,280,492 times
Well, when you put it like that now I want to visit Chicago for the same experience. :drools:

Old 01-07-2016, 01:35 PM

If you visit Chicago stay at the Intercontinental and walk the area. You will be close to Navy Pier, which is a great visit. Take the Architectural River Tour! Go to Heaven on Seventh for some great food. Grab a bus right across the street from the hotel and visit the museums. There is a tour bus (double decker) that will take you all over the downtown.

Oh yeah, pizza too.

All this is from a trip we took quite a few years ago so things may have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: