Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support public financing to build a stadium for the Raiders
Yes 33 27.05%
No 89 72.95%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:02 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I thought I read he's offering up $500 million from the Raiders. Raiders commit to Vegas, offer $500 million for stadium: 4 things to know - CBSSports.com

I haven't followed it closely -- has something changed?
He is offering up $300 million and the NFL is loaning him another $200 million. He owns half the team which is valued at about $970 million. His net worth is about $500 million so those figures mean he has about $15 million in cash. His mother owns the other half of the team but her net worth isn't listed anywhere. In all probability, Davis and his mother will have to mortgage the team in order to pay the $300 million.

Of course, the move will probably increase the value of the team to over $1 billion as they will be able to get greater revenue from a new stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 11:08 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
Soccer is pretty big in the US now, not NFL big but its growing like crazy
It really is growing and has been for years. IMHO, the reason why it hasn't garnered big 4 sports interest is because it competes with the big 4. TV isn't that interested in it because it's not a big 4 sport and the best American players go overseas to earn better money as it is the top sport around the rest of the world.

It's like lacrosse - it's the fastest growing sport in North America but it's never going to be big 4 popular because it's considered a small TV viewing sport.

What I like about soccer is that I know when I watch a game, it's done in two hours including all the pre and post game talk. Football is 3+ hours, hockey, baseball, and basketball are 2.5+ hours.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:36 AM

621 posts, read 538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It really is growing and has been for years. IMHO, the reason why it hasn't garnered big 4 sports interest is because it competes with the big 4. TV isn't that interested in it because it's not a big 4 sport and the best American players go overseas to earn better money as it is the top sport around the rest of the world.

It's like lacrosse - it's the fastest growing sport in North America but it's never going to be big 4 popular because it's considered a small TV viewing sport.

What I like about soccer is that I know when I watch a game, it's done in two hours including all the pre and post game talk. Football is 3+ hours, hockey, baseball, and basketball are 2.5+ hours.
Another problem in my mind is that it's a new sport as far as having an organized top-level league. The NFL wasn't very popular when it first started either, although a lot of that could be attributed to the lack of television exposure. The World Cup is pretty popular because most people in this country identify with US teams. How long did it take for the Columbus Crew to garner a strong following? Does it even have one now? Does anyone in Las Vegas who isn't a giant soccer fan even know about the Columbus Crew? That's the problem pro soccer has to overcome.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:34 PM

452 posts, read 336,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypotpie View Post
Another problem in my mind is that it's a new sport as far as having an organized top-level league. The NFL wasn't very popular when it first started either, although a lot of that could be attributed to the lack of television exposure. The World Cup is pretty popular because most people in this country identify with US teams. How long did it take for the Columbus Crew to garner a strong following? Does it even have one now? Does anyone in Las Vegas who isn't a giant soccer fan even know about the Columbus Crew? That's the problem pro soccer has to overcome.
maybe a lot of people know about the Columbus crew but who knows?

Old 08-05-2016, 08:28 AM

621 posts, read 538,623 times
Quote:
maybe a lot of people know about the Columbus crew but who knows?
My guess is not so much. As someone mentioned earlier most people that aren't already soccer fans don't even know what MLS even is. The NHL had this problem and they tried to solve it by expanding into non-traditional hockey markets like Florida, California, Arizona, and now Las Vegas itself. I don't know what soccer would need to do, but it will take a while before it gets into the "big-4" tier.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:15 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,185 times
How does a network advertise in a Soccer game if there are no time outs, half time etc.. I don't watch the MLS on TV so I really do no know how they allocate advertizing dollars. Sorry for being ignorant

Old 08-05-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
How does a network advertise in a Soccer game if there are no time outs, half time etc.. I don't watch the MLS on TV so I really do no know how they allocate advertizing dollars. Sorry for being ignorant
the field is surrounded by ads generally. Then they have the ad up in the corner as well with the score. They only show commercials at half time.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:34 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,185 times
Quote:
the field is surrounded by ads generally. Then they have the ad up in the corner as well with the score. They only show commercials at half time.
Oh ok, so there are no TV timeouts or injury timeouts like football or basketball? They do not stop the clock right? They just tack on that time at the end of the game? I wonder how the networks feel about the amount of commercials they can stuff in a game and if they can capture an audience just like the other sports?

Old 08-06-2016, 05:29 PM

85 posts, read 87,390 times
Can someone shed some light on what the Live Entertainment Tax goes towards? I noticed that the tax is pretty high on some tickets and most events on the strip have it. Just curious what's it goes towards paying and if it might be used on the stadium funding. I read in an article that it might be included as part of the funding mechanism.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Oh ok, so there are no TV timeouts or injury timeouts like football or basketball? They do not stop the clock right? They just tack on that time at the end of the game? I wonder how the networks feel about the amount of commercials they can stuff in a game and if they can capture an audience just like the other sports?
No TV timeouts or any clock stoppage. They do add injury time at the end of each half. But the world cup had better ratings than the NBA finals if I remember correctly, of course the MLS doesn't draw the same ratings as the world cup tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas