Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 06:45 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,449,050 times

Advertisements

If anyone's looking for hints on what foreclosure inventory might do going forward, here's a good place to start - Asset Quality | All Banks

This is the basis for many of the "shadow inventory" projections you read about. To be clear, not all nonperforming loans on lender's books will ultimately result in a bank owned property. Some percentage of the loans will be modified, saved at the bell, etc. However, the recent cure rate of nonperforming loans has been dismal. Lenders are required to report their nonperforming loan data to the FDIC on a quarterly basis as it affects their solvency.

This data provides a snapshot of inventory that will with high probability end up as lender owned. This is the kind of information that you need to look at to make a projection of what's to come, instead of the backward looking data of what the bank already owns. Anyone that's been following along for the last few pages should have a pretty good idea of the accuracy of rearview mirror forecasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,462 times
Default Your postings

You know Tony, people might listen to your opinion a little more if you just stopped flaming Olecap. I agree it's important to seek opinions from more than one person. I'd value your comments if you'd stop behaving like an 8-year old who has to win at all costs.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
You know Tony, people might listen to your opinion a little more if you just stopped flaming Olecap. I agree it's important to seek opinions from more than one person. I'd value your comments if you'd stop behaving like an 8-year old who has to win at all costs.
Duly noted, Kate, but I honestly don't care much about what people think of my opinions. I have no financial interest, or otherwise for that matter, whether people buy in Vegas or not. I do on the other hand have an interest in correcting the record when someone misrepresents a horrible track record as something other than that. People can do what they will with that info.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:43 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,462 times
Default Correcting the record

My point Tony is that I automatically discount what you have to say -- and therefore miss the "record correction" -- because of the way you go about it.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
My point Tony is that I automatically discount what you have to say -- and therefore miss the "record correction" -- because of the way you go about it.
Sorry Kate. Admittedly, I'm a little rough around the edges. You may want to acquaint yourself with the ignore function.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
If anyone's looking for hints on what foreclosure inventory might do going forward, here's a good place to start - Asset Quality | All Banks

This is the basis for many of the "shadow inventory" projections you read about. To be clear, not all nonperforming loans on lender's books will ultimately result in a bank owned property. Some percentage of the loans will be modified, saved at the bell, etc. However, the recent cure rate of nonperforming loans has been dismal. Lenders are required to report their nonperforming loan data to the FDIC on a quarterly basis as it affects their solvency.

This data provides a snapshot of inventory that will with high probability end up as lender owned. This is the kind of information that you need to look at to make a projection of what's to come, instead of the backward looking data of what the bank already owns. Anyone that's been following along for the last few pages should have a pretty good idea of the accuracy of rearview mirror forecasting.
Typical Tony. National data with no stated applicability to Las Vegas.

But Tony throws it out to obfuscate.

That is his specialty.

The GLVAR data on July is quite clear. 2950 SFR sold of which 1196 were REOs.

Do the division if you have the capability

Forget about it Kiwi...he runs on hate not facts.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Typical Tony. National data with no stated applicability to Las Vegas.

But Tony throws it out to obfuscate.

That is his specialty.

The GLVAR data on July is quite clear. 2950 SFR sold of which 1196 were REOs.

Do the division if you have the capability

Forget about it Kiwi...he runs on hate not facts.
First, the national trend for nonperforming loans is increasing, yet somehow the city that perennially leads the nation in foreclosures and unemployment is somehow bucking the national trend? This is exactly what I mean about your complete inability to extrapolate data to forecast with any semblance of accuracy. Second, and more importantly, the nonperforming loan data is reported to the FDIC on a bank by bank basis so the data can be parsed by bank, MSA/geography, etc. In fact, the site I linked to will give you some of that capability if you're willing to pony up for a subscription. The point is the data is available to analysts and serves as a basis for determining the oft discussed shadow inventory. It's forward looking data instead of the backward looking data that you use to formulate one bad call after another.

BTW Cappy, I have nothing but love for you.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,523,771 times
I don't want to be slammed for going off topic---- but what about the current state of the real estate market in Las Vegas (lol)? Actually what's the latest with the High Rises and Condo Hotels?

Old 08-30-2010, 11:14 PM

383 posts, read 901,485 times
Maybe we should bring in Dana White from UFC and see if we could get a match set up. One night to end this bickering. Grudge match held in an abandoned foreclosure. One hour of verbal bantor between the Capt. and Tony followed by a sudden death match in the Octagon. Procedes going to needy who lost their homes in the Vegas area..

Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 AM

307 posts, read 928,066 times
"Prices rose in 17 of the 20 metropolitan areas tracked by Case-Shiller in June compared with May. Las Vegas was the one region that suffered a price decline. Seattle and Phoenix reported no change in prices. "

U.S. home prices rose 1.0% in June Economic Report - MarketWatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas