Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 07:52 PM

23 posts, read 21,386 times

Advertisements

Hi again
I was looking at homes and came across some in centennial hills around grand teton and durango. I know nothing about this area and I was wondering if it is a diverse area and what the crime was like. Any help would be great as I need to make a decision quickly.
Thank you for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 09:32 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,085 times
https://www.crimemapping.com/map/location/89149?id=

Old 08-19-2017, 12:30 AM

243 posts, read 238,117 times
Grand Teton - Durango. BAD! BAD! BAD! While never great, it was built before the recession as a starter home community. Now, many of the homes are rented to transients. Just don't! The area over the past 12 years has gone way down. The Smith's shopping center is awful and would not go there after dark. Just think "North Las Vegas" right out side the Nellis gate.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:46 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xusafpilot View Post
Grand Teton - Durango. BAD! BAD! BAD! While never great, it was built before the recession as a starter home community. Now, many of the homes are rented to transients. Just don't! The area over the past 12 years has gone way down. The Smith's shopping center is awful and would not go there after dark. Just think "North Las Vegas" right out side the Nellis gate.
So, yes, it is quite diverse.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:03 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Does not compute.

Last month total incidences for a 1 or 2 mile circle centered at.

Durango and Summerlin Pkwy 43, 221
Durango and Cheyenne 21,182
Durango and 215 12, 122
Durango and Grand Teton 13, 105
Town Center and Summerlin Pkwy 25, 101

The Smith is the one at Durango and Elkhorn.

Elkhorn and Durango 9,121

So the area around the Smith's is actually safer then Summerlin.

So CH is normal for reasonably good LV.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:19 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,770 times
Quote:
Wut??? Not even comparable, in 10 years I've never seen one issue. I do business at the majority of those businesses and never had an issue. You're way off base if you think Grand Teton/Durango is the same as Nellis/Craig.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:22 PM

That area is all trashy people for the most part, high percentage of transient renters, mostly military. I own eight rental units in the area and have seen a lot! After the recession, this area did not recover and Providence never lived up to what it could have been. The situation with the Beltway upgrade that was delayed by over a decade and won't be finished until at least 2021 has caused a lot of issues with regards to of quality development. Anyone remember the vaporware mall "Mall of Las Vegas " what was proposed by Tripple 5 that was to be shoehorned behind the Smith's shopping center? Remember the numerous 25 story condo towers proposed for the same area, OR the "Future Home of CSN that apparently was put in by developers and maintained all these years to lure in developers? You see, the newcomers don't remember all that! While the term "section 8" really no longer exists, there are a lot of government subsidized renters in the area. The Smith's at Durango @ Elkhorn is no longer 24/7 for obvious reasons with petty crimes. This area really appeals to the transient military of Nellis and especially Creech. Here today and GONE tomorrow. They have no real ties or interest in the local community. They do make fantastic tenants. Glad I ditched 89149 for 89135 as the difference is like night and day. Living in Las Vegas is so, so much better.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 PM

Here is a cut-and-past quote from an old timer. Not sure if he is still around but his words then are even more valid now with regards to the Centennial Hills 89149 area. In particular, I like the "pickup truck test".

"The population of irresponsible folk, particularly young and irresponsible is significantly higher among renters than among home owners. Time sorts the renter population. Those who do reasonably well tend to move on and buy homes. Even those who, for one reason or another, choose to remain rentersthough they don't need to, will migrate to neighborhoods with low renters. Those less responsible tend to have problems financially and never get around to buying a home. The result is you get a higher percentage of flakes among renters in high rental areas.

With a small percentage of renters the probability of running into an irresponsible one is small. If you get to a higher concentration the probability gets bigger. And if the neighborhood starts to show the signs of heavily irresponsiblity you attract more...or rather cause the responsible renter or owner to look elsewhere. After a while the neighborhood becomes a self-perpetuating problem.

I call it the pickup truck test. Stand in front of the house and rotate 360. How many pickups in sight? More than 6 worry. More than 12 go somewhere else."

This pretty much sums up Centennial Hills and vast tracts of Las Vegas. The area I lived in was near Ann @ El Capitan which is designated a Rural Estate Preservation Zone but sadly, there is now a lot of spot zoning of unincorporated Clark County into the City of Las Vegas in order to get sewer hookups. Everything north of Sahara regardless of Las Vegas or Clark County is on the Las Vegas sewer and the city is playing hardball with the county in order to destroy the rural neighborhoods so that they can spot zone for the 8 homes per acre D.R. Horton future slum homes. Mayor Goodman and the city council licks the boots of the tract builders. No one any more buys the Spanish stucco tile roof houses. It's all desert modern, clean lines and less stuff.

Moving to Red Rock Country Club protects me from that crap.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:46 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Here is a cut-and-past quote from an old timer. Not sure if he is still around but his words then are even more valid now with regards to the Centennial Hills 89149 area. In particular, I like the "pickup truck test".

"The population of irresponsible folk, particularly young and irresponsible is significantly higher among renters than among home owners. Time sorts the renter population. Those who do reasonably well tend to move on and buy homes. Even those who, for one reason or another, choose to remain rentersthough they don't need to, will migrate to neighborhoods with low renters. Those less responsible tend to have problems financially and never get around to buying a home. The result is you get a higher percentage of flakes among renters in high rental areas.

With a small percentage of renters the probability of running into an irresponsible one is small. If you get to a higher concentration the probability gets bigger. And if the neighborhood starts to show the signs of heavily irresponsiblity you attract more...or rather cause the responsible renter or owner to look elsewhere. After a while the neighborhood becomes a self-perpetuating problem.

I call it the pickup truck test. Stand in front of the house and rotate 360. How many pickups in sight? More than 6 worry. More than 12 go somewhere else."

This pretty much sums up Centennial Hills and vast tracts of Las Vegas. The area I lived in was near Ann @ El Capitan which is designated a Rural Estate Preservation Zone but sadly, there is now a lot of spot zoning of unincorporated Clark County into the City of Las Vegas in order to get sewer hookups. Everything north of Sahara regardless of Las Vegas or Clark County is on the Las Vegas sewer and the city is playing hardball with the county in order to destroy the rural neighborhoods so that they can spot zone for the 8 homes per acre D.R. Horton future slum homes. Mayor Goodman and the city council licks the boots of the tract builders. No one any more buys the Spanish stucco tile roof houses. It's all desert modern, clean lines and less stuff.

Moving to Red Rock Country Club protects me from that crap.
Kind of interesting. When you show property in Red Rock Country Club one of the standard complaints is that it is too dense. Some truth to it. Almost 10% of Red Rock is at densities higher than 6 per acre. Less thsan 5% are a half acre or bigger. And generally the lots are narrow to squeeze more golf frontage.

The pickup truck is still a pretty good test though since the RE bust it has become less common. The rental pressure in Las Vegas is no where near that of 2006.

The RNP has not had any real problems holding against the city. The interlocal has been restored and changes in the city council will greatly lower the pressure. The RNP has always had pressure on its boundaries but has in general negotiated workable deals. Just had a minor skirmish at Alexander and Cimarron...the developer lost.

In general the designation of the area at Ann and Fort Apache is Lone Mountain. Centennial Hills is a city designation not County. Virtuall all the land in that vicinity is County.

And the crime statistics simply do not suggest Centennial Hills has a problem. About the same as Summerlin. It is pretty high densiaty in spots but Providence is pretty nice...about the same densities as
Red Rock Country Club.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:58 PM

927 posts, read 883,306 times
Quote:
Yikes. I'm surrounded by neighbors with pickups.

Not surprisingly, they have a total of 8 cars and not one of them is parked in the garage.

Not too worried about it affecting resale value because no one is listing their homes on the market at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas