Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:44 AM

455 posts, read 652,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusafpilot View Post
Grand Teton - Durango. BAD! BAD! BAD! While never great, it was built before the recession as a starter home community. Now, many of the homes are rented to transients. Just don't! The area over the past 12 years has gone way down. The Smith's shopping center is awful and would not go there after dark. Just think "North Las Vegas" right out side the Nellis gate.
Gross exaggerations, as usual...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 07:13 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,058,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Gross exaggerations, as usual...
I have heard similar statements made about 89139. Both areas have been developed in similar timeframes and both have had similar fates. I happen to live in 89139, and while we do have some problems, I don't think they are as bad as some would like to make them out to be. Yes, many of the foreclosure homes turned over to renters. Yes, some of these have become "section 8" or however you would like to refer to low-income tenancy, whether they are actually on the program or not.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anywhere in the LV valley that is immune to this, unless they were already established long-term neighborhoods with stable, owner-occupants. Something like 80% of LV has been developed since the 80's with a very large chunk of that occurring in the 2000's and thus, affected by the recession. The low rents during the recession years allowed virtually anyone who wanted, to move virtually anywhere they wanted in the city. This did bring "undesirable" entities into otherwise "desirable" neighborhoods (however you choose to define that).

I can't speak much for 89149, but I don't see the same recovery occurring there that we are seeing in 89139. While the recovery in 89139 has been slow, there are many positive signs such as continued/new development, strip malls have filled up, new stores and restaurants, etc. The problem areas in this section are adjacent to the apartment complexes, and I suspect that 89149 is the same, as well as any other section of Las Vegas. One thing that I think has hurt the recovery in 89149 is its distance from the major portions of the city.

In my development, the rents have gone up, and I've seen some of the "section 8" clientele move on. Realistically, the home values in these newer areas aren't going to sustain low rents for much longer, and I suspect many of the "Chinese investors" that bought these properties are getting ready to dump them now that they are returning to market value.

I purchased my home at the very beginning of the recovery, and the house next door has already sold for nearly 100K more than what I bought mine for(and its smaller). Also, that property still hasn't reached its 2008 highs, so I think there is still some room for improvement.

A friend of mine owns a home in 89149 and didn't have any complaints. No, its not the most desirable area of Las Vegas ala Summerlin, but it is a far cry from Craig & Nellis. Also, you have to remember that much of the new development is considered medium/high density URBAN, and is going to have naturally higher petty crime rates due to sheer population density alone. Sometimes, I get the impression that a lot of people coming here expect that medium/dense urban is going to have similar crime rates to 1/4 or 1/2 acre suburbia, and this is simply not the case, no matter what city you move to. You're going to need street smarts and a lot of common sense to live in a large city.

Also, Summerlin is not necessarily all its cracked up to be. Sure, it looks nice, but you'll have to deal with Nazi HOAs and the weed police, make sure your doors and windows and landscaping and everything else is the right color, and type, etc. It sounds more like a communist stazi paradise to me. I would also add that a number of people I have met from that area have a pompous and snooty attitude simply because they live in "Summerlin" (as though anyone anywhere in the entire US even knows what/where that is as though it were Beverly Hills or something). Summerlin looks like any other HOA/Master planned community I've seen back east. Personally, I embrace the more Libertarian undercurrents of Las Vegas, but now I'm just ranting.....

Old 08-23-2017, 07:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I have heard similar statements made about 89139. Both areas have been developed in similar timeframes and both have had similar fates. I happen to live in 89139, and while we do have some problems, I don't think they are as bad as some would like to make them out to be. Yes, many of the foreclosure homes turned over to renters. Yes, some of these have become "section 8" or however you would like to refer to low-income tenancy, whether they are actually on the program or not.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anywhere in the LV valley that is immune to this, unless they were already established long-term neighborhoods with stable, owner-occupants. Something like 80% of LV has been developed since the 80's with a very large chunk of that occurring in the 2000's and thus, affected by the recession. The low rents during the recession years allowed virtually anyone who wanted, to move virtually anywhere they wanted in the city. This did bring "undesirable" entities into otherwise "desirable" neighborhoods (however you choose to define that).

I can't speak much for 89149, but I don't see the same recovery occurring there that we are seeing in 89139. While the recovery in 89139 has been slow, there are many positive signs such as continued/new development, strip malls have filled up, new stores and restaurants, etc. The problem areas in this section are adjacent to the apartment complexes, and I suspect that 89149 is the same, as well as any other section of Las Vegas. One thing that I think has hurt the recovery in 89149 is its distance from the major portions of the city.

In my development, the rents have gone up, and I've seen some of the "section 8" clientele move on. Realistically, the home values in these newer areas aren't going to sustain low rents for much longer, and I suspect many of the "Chinese investors" that bought these properties are getting ready to dump them now that they are returning to market value.

I purchased my home at the very beginning of the recovery, and the house next door has already sold for nearly 100K more than what I bought mine for(and its smaller). Also, that property still hasn't reached its 2008 highs, so I think there is still some room for improvement.

A friend of mine owns a home in 89149 and didn't have any complaints. No, its not the most desirable area of Las Vegas ala Summerlin, but it is a far cry from Craig & Nellis. Also, you have to remember that much of the new development is considered medium/high density URBAN, and is going to have naturally higher petty crime rates due to sheer population density alone. Sometimes, I get the impression that a lot of people coming here expect that medium/dense urban is going to have similar crime rates to 1/4 or 1/2 acre suburbia, and this is simply not the case, no matter what city you move to. You're going to need street smarts and a lot of common sense to live in a large city.

Also, Summerlin is not necessarily all its cracked up to be. Sure, it looks nice, but you'll have to deal with Nazi HOAs and the weed police, make sure your doors and windows and landscaping and everything else is the right color, and type, etc. It sounds more like a communist stazi paradise to me. I would also add that a number of people I have met from that area have a pompous and snooty attitude simply because they live in "Summerlin" (as though anyone anywhere in the entire US even knows what/where that is as though it were Beverly Hills or something). Summerlin looks like any other HOA/Master planned community I've seen back east. Personally, I embrace the more Libertarian undercurrents of Las Vegas, but now I'm just ranting.....
You seem to be missing the fact that well over half of 89149 is RNP with census tract income of near or above $100K. That is more than lots of Summerlin. There are actually only a few apartments in the area. There are some quite high density sfr and condo tracts but few apartments. 89129 is similar. Lots of relatively moderate to high density but lots of RNP with high home prices and high income. 89129 probably has a somewhat better mix of housing on the low end than 89149. Did not get the very high density stuff built in 2002 to 2006.

In the SW the RNP areas did not get properly organized and got much more infiltrated by high density housing than did 89129 and 89149. 89139 shows it in spades.

Last edited by lvmensch; 08-23-2017 at 07:39 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You seem to be missing the fact that well over half of 89149 is RNP with census tract income of near or above $100K. That is more than lots of Summerlin. There are actually only a few apartments in the area. There are some quite high density sfr and condo tracts but few apartments. 89129 is similar. Lots of relatively moderate to high density but lots of RNP with high home prices and high income. 89129 probably has a somewhat better mix of housing on the low end than 89149. Did not get the very high density stuff built in 2002 to 2006.

In the SW the RNP areas did not get properly organized and got much more infiltrated by high density housing than did 89129 and 89149. 89139 shows it in spades.
What's your point? I stated that 89139 seems to be recovering better than 89149 yet, both were on equal footing on the downturn. That said, I wouldn't turn my nose down to either area. There are problems, but you will find those everywhere, and that was my point. The idea that Craig and nellis is in any way comparable to 89139 or 89149 is frankly, laughable. If the OP needs proof, hire a taxi to drive you through all three areas and you will soon see exactly what I am talking about.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

After I read this again, I felt compelled to state who exactly gives a **** about the general income?

Do you feel that 100K+ is representative of most of the United States?
Why do you feel compelled to keep pointing this out?
Do you really think anyone cares if you fly in to work on your own private jet or know multiple CEOs?

Frankly, unless you can provide direct proof of your "accomplishments" I would rather consider you a fraud at this point. Lots of rather grandiose grandstanding without any huevos to back it up.
If you have anything real to say other than trolling others on this board then will the real lvmensch please stand up?

By all means, provide evidence of your accomplishments.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:13 AM

555 posts, read 775,684 times
That area isn't too bad, but given the opportunity I would much rather live in Summerlin.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:23 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,579,340 times
I think I understand what OP is getting at, but the title had me puzzled. It read like he was asking if the crime was diverse. Is diversity such a good thing we demand it in our crime too?

Old 08-25-2017, 01:13 PM

23 posts, read 21,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I think I understand what OP is getting at, but the title had me puzzled. It read like he was asking if the crime was diverse. Is diversity such a good thing we demand it in our crime too?
I was curious if the area had diverse culture and if crime was a big problem. I dont know much about the area. I didnt phrase that in a good way, sorry about that

Old 08-25-2017, 01:24 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
What's your point? I stated that 89139 seems to be recovering better than 89149 yet, both were on equal footing on the downturn. That said, I wouldn't turn my nose down to either area. There are problems, but you will find those everywhere, and that was my point. The idea that Craig and nellis is in any way comparable to 89139 or 89149 is frankly, laughable. If the OP needs proof, hire a taxi to drive you through all three areas and you will soon see exactly what I am talking about.
Quote:
After I read this again, I felt compelled to state who exactly gives a **** about the general income?

Do you feel that 100K+ is representative of most of the United States?
Why do you feel compelled to keep pointing this out?
Do you really think anyone cares if you fly in to work on your own private jet or know multiple CEOs?

Frankly, unless you can provide direct proof of your "accomplishments" I would rather consider you a fraud at this point. Lots of rather grandiose grandstanding without any huevos to back it up.
If you have anything real to say other than trolling others on this board then will the real lvmensch please stand up?

By all means, provide evidence of your accomplishments.
You are mischaracterizing the areas involved. Both are in fact majority upper middle suburbs by area if not population. Both have lower level housing as well. Sections of 89149 built relatively late were pretty tight smaller lot places. But Providence is reasonably nice and up a few notches. There are also nicer tracts in 89129 including Spanish Springs, The Shadow developments and others. Both zips continue to develop with high end in fill housing at the moment.

I feel no need to explain my accomplishments to you as you have no particular standing to ask. Been here a little of 20 years and have been quite active in local issues. That is all you have any right to know.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Yikes. I'm surrounded by neighbors with pickups.

Not surprisingly, they have a total of 8 cars and not one of them is parked in the garage.

Not too worried about it affecting resale value because no one is listing their homes on the market at the moment.
I feel like this is code for "Mexicans". This is not always bead but your expectations need to be adjusted if your grew up in a suburban white neighborhood. Mexicans will have loud parties and dogs and in Mexico this is considered completely normal. This doesn't mean it happens all the time, and it doesn't mean they are bad people or that it is necessarily a bad neighborhood to live in, but if you want to libe in one you will need to be prepared for it.

Where I am, many immigrants.... on the 4th ... many fireworks... illegal or otherwise. I don't call the cops and *****. Do you? In many ways you get what you give. I have had a couple of loud parties and then, nobody called on me. To my life in a dense neighborhood is give and take. No, I am not in an apartment, but the idea that I would call out everyone who had a loud indiscretion any night of the week, frankly sounds ridiculous, and asking for trouble. I leave my neighbors alone and they leave me alone. I think this is a good compromise, don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas