Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
Portland Oregon has a fantastic light rail system too. When I was there in 2007 it cost about $2 to get from the airport to downtown.
It's one of the best light rails.

10 Best Cities for Public Transportation - US News and World Report

Old 06-17-2011, 06:26 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I'm just teasing...and I know Quixotic enough to be able to do that.
Anytime, Lyra! Your unique style is always refreshing!!!!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 PM

4 posts, read 6,651 times
HI everybody. I am new here in city data. I was just wondering if I can meet some Filipino friends here??? Is there like a Filipino forum or community here? Wish me luck!!! Thank You

Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinayMaganda View Post
HI everybody. I am new here in city data. I was just wondering if I can meet some Filipino friends here??? Is there like a Filipino forum or community here? Wish me luck!!! Thank You
There is a very large Filipino community in Las Vegas. For foreign-born, Filipinos are #2 behind Mexican.

You'll have no problem meeting them either.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:39 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm turning 62 next year and I have no desire to retire here. I lived in Phoenix for 3 years, have missed the friendlier people the most, a higher proportion of people with similar roots from the Midwest, less wind in the winter, more comfortable winters.

I left Phoenix because of the over-vigilant police force and I thought if I ever returned there I would return car-less. I'm eyeing some townhouse complexes in central Phoenix a block or two from a light rail stop, and I've given up on the idea of Las Vegans ever embracing the idea of light rail here.
Phoenicians voted to increase the sales tax to pay for it, ain't never gonna happen here with the strong anti-tax sentiment here.

Las Vegas is great place if you're making enough money to get away from it, when you can. And with the Depression we've been under, I have to ask myself: Which city would I prefer to be stuck in with a reduced income?

Other factor: the increasing xeriscaping of Las Vegas. Those in Phoenix with those deep Midwestern roots ain't gonna let go of their green grass without a big fight!

I moved to an older lush-green Las Vegas townhouse complex, circa 1970, and every year more and more of the green disappears into rock. Perhaps I just can't shake my Midwestern roots, but I find it increasingly depressing, and my ferret as well!
You and me both. I plan on going back to Phoenix at the end of the summer. Arizona is a police state, and I am going to hate the photo radar and state income tax. Regardless, I am going to be back with my friends and that is what counts. I actually like Vegas as a city much more than Phoenix, but the home sickness has been building for years and it finally has brought me to a breaking point. By October I will be outta here.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:14 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
I've started getting up at 5am and jogging. I've always been a night owl but the mornings are so nice here. Definitely a cool peaceful time of day.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:08 AM

78 posts, read 118,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinayMaganda View Post
Join yelp.com- there's a lot of them on the talk thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:28 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
Exclamation Vegas to SPACE!

anyone planning on going to Florida to see the last shuttle mission?

Jonathan

Old 06-18-2011, 10:17 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
having worked on the shuttle program for rockwell international, I wished I could.
take plenty of pictures

Old 06-18-2011, 12:12 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You and me both. I plan on going back to Phoenix at the end of the summer. Arizona is a police state, and I am going to hate the photo radar and state income tax. Regardless, I am going to be back with my friends and that is what counts. I actually like Vegas as a city much more than Phoenix, but the home sickness has been building for years and it finally has brought me to a breaking point. By October I will be outta here.
I hear they've taken down the photo radar on the freeways in Phoenix. I remember driving on the 101 to get towards Sun City and seeing photo radar every few miles, the traffic would slow down, pass the camera, and then speed up again. What got me were those Arizona State police cameras set up on those Ford Explorers, one got me in Sun City, and one got me on Route 93 north of Kingman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas