Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 02:00 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I absolutely love salads. In fact, now that I am on a diet that is all I eat. I like green leaf and romaine the best. I mix in cherry tomatoes and either grilled chicken or shrimp so I get some protein, yum. My favorite dressing is bleu cheese, but I have to use it sparingly because it is so full of calories. I have lost some weight.

On a side note, something very bad has happened to me this week. After 5 years at my job I got laid off. I have never been laid off before in my life so now I get to see how it is to be one of those unemployed persons that I used to mock.
That's great news about your diet. Keep going with it and watch how much better you feel. When I was very tightly addicted to alcohol, eating tons of fresh fruits helped immensely. At the core of alcohol addiction is usually a very pronounced sugar addiction and supplying plenty of natural non-harmful slow acting sugars eases the cravings immensely. At least for me it did.

As far as the Job thing, you can look at it from any number of perspectives. Since you didn't seem particularly happy there and all of this is occurring along with what looks like a personal transformation, I would actually say it is a good thing. Just focus on feeling good and the rest will play out on its own. I'm quite serious.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:14 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
That's great news about your diet. Keep going with it and watch how much better you feel. When I was very tightly addicted to alcohol, eating tons of fresh fruits helped immensely. At the core of alcohol addiction is usually a very pronounced sugar addiction and supplying plenty of natural non-harmful slow acting sugars eases the cravings immensely. At least for me it did.

As far as the Job thing, you can look at it from any number of perspectives. Since you didn't seem particularly happy there and all of this is occurring along with what looks like a personal transformation, I would actually say it is a good thing. Just focus on feeling good and the rest will play out on its own. I'm quite serious.
Thanks....I actually have been only eating salads, but adding fruit is a great idea so I will do that. I am going grocery shopping at Sunflower tomorrow. As far as the job thing, I am not happy at all about losing it. Deeply saddened would be more like it. It was the one thing that kept structure and stability in my life that has so far prevented me from going off the deep end. I now fear for my future. I also have friends and coworkers at the site I am going to miss terribly. I actually was in tears as I collected my belongings yesterday.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times
Congrats to Davie. LVD, so sorry to hear about your lay off. Keep your head up and keep looking for work. Don't give up hope.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:28 PM

Thanks Pommy

Old 11-06-2011, 03:12 PM

990 posts, read 1,655,047 times
Quote:
I absolutely love salads. In fact, now that I am on a diet that is all I eat. I like green leaf and romaine the best. I mix in cherry tomatoes and either grilled chicken or shrimp so I get some protein, yum. My favorite dressing is bleu cheese, but I have to use it sparingly because it is so full of calories. I have lost some weight.

On a side note, something very bad has happened to me this week. After 5 years at my job I got laid off. I have never been laid off before in my life so now I get to see how it is to be one of those unemployed persons that I used to mock.
You are a champ at budgeting. Get your unemployment income set up and concentrate on your health. You are already eating healthy. Now start scheduling daily walks.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:01 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,569 times
Quote:
Thanks....I actually have been only eating salads, but adding fruit is a great idea so I will do that. I am going grocery shopping at Sunflower tomorrow. As far as the job thing, I am not happy at all about losing it. Deeply saddened would be more like it. It was the one thing that kept structure and stability in my life that has so far prevented me from going off the deep end. I now fear for my future. I also have friends and coworkers at the site I am going to miss terribly. I actually was in tears as I collected my belongings yesterday.
I didn't mean to imply that it shouldn't bother you at all. Only to recognize that transformations usually happen on a number of different levels. Old relationships, old jobs and old habits tend to fall away all together or in quick succession. Everyone fears for their future to some extent and it is in this where much suffering occurs.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
You are a champ at budgeting. Get your unemployment income set up and concentrate on your health. You are already eating healthy. Now start scheduling daily walks.
As much as I hated to, I called unemployment this week. They said I need to wait to file at the end of next week. However, they told me I will get $190 a week after taxes (I used to get $210 a week after taxes at my job), and believe it or not, I can actually live on that. I am going to cut my internet off ($45 monthly) and my gasoline bill will go down $20 a month since I will hardly be driving. In other words, I am basically going to get the same amount I did when I was working. As far as walks, that is actually dangerous in my neighborhood.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I didn't mean to imply that it shouldn't bother you at all. Only to recognize that transformations usually happen on a number of different levels. Old relationships, old jobs and old habits tend to fall away all together or in quick succession. Everyone fears for their future to some extent and it is in this where much suffering occurs.
My job is not necessarily over. My company has lost a lot of sites in the last month, and they are only keeping the highest priority guards, while laying off others such as myself. My work site was not lost, but they took someone else from one of the other sites that was lost and are replacing me with them. At first I was very upset, but as they say sh@t happens and there is nothing I can do about it. The light at the end of the tunnel is that I was told by my boss that she hopes to put me back at my site sometime within the next to 2-3 months, but trust me, I am not holding my breath on that.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:29 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times
Sorry to hear that happened LVD, I hope u get a better paying job soon

As for walks...do them mid day. That will be safer

Old 11-06-2011, 06:45 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,504,856 times
Quote:
As much as I hated to, I called unemployment this week. They said I need to wait to file at the end of next week. However, they told me I will get $190 a week after taxes (I used to get $210 a week after taxes at my job), and believe it or not, I can actually live on that. I am going to cut my internet off ($45 monthly) and my gasoline bill will go down $20 a month since I will hardly be driving. In other words, I am basically going to get the same amount I did when I was working. As far as walks, that is actually dangerous in my neighborhood.
LVD...nothing wrong in taking unemployment payments, when someone is thrown a sudden curve such as this. The harm is when someone becomes comfortable with it, thinks it is owed them or takes advantage of it. I don't see you being that way at all.

Keep us in touch all the way, especially with the holidays coming up. Donations can be had.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas