Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:42 PM

14 posts, read 67,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Yes, you got some harsh replies but honestly I think everyone was trying to tell you Vegas isn't easy for someone with 3 very young children and no job skills. You would be paying more in daycare than you most likely would be able to bring in. And that's if you could find work at all. It's very competitive out there. We have PHD's driving cabs for a living. Could you compete with college grads for those just above minimum wage jobs?

At least in Iowa you have family. A support system and someone who could watch the kids at least once in a while. You know people who could help in a pinch. You would have none of that in Vegas.

What if one of your kids should get sick? Can you afford health insurance for 4 people plus a car, rent, insurance, food, utilities, and daycare on that barely above minimum wage job? Unless you are printing your own money, the answer is no.

Vegas is a fun place to live if your life and your finances are in order. It's no more fun to be poor in Vegas than it is anywhere else. I would much prefer Vegas to Iowa. I've lived through Minnesota Winters enough years to know what it's like. But it doesn't sound like you are ready to leave home and go out on your own. If you just have to try it, arrange for your parents to take the kids for a month and come to Vegas and check it out. See for yourself if you can find a job that will pay what you need to make it here.

I appreciate your response. i can tell that you were genuine. thank you for giving it without saying that i was a potential stripper or prostitute and without suggesting surgery. Those are definitely things that i am concerned about in the lines of help watching my kids if necessary and having enough funds to support my family in the event things go wrong. I have a savings built up of about 7,000 but that is just a start.
I also worry about the jobs in that area definitely. I have a few family members that live down there that said that they didnt have that much trouble finding jobs but its been 2 years since they moved down there.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:22 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,934,739 times
Hey, I'm on your side. I'd always take the people who messed-up/made some not so great decisions over those I-made-so-much-of-my-life people any day. They're (the former that is) usually genuine and way more interesting; plus I identify with those people too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
The best revenge is to do well.
This is what I'm talking about. Show everyone they're wrong about you; its the best feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYRAE12 View Post
I have a savings built up of about 7,000 but that is just a start.
That's impressive--especially when there are like so many others with debt. Saving money is a difficult thing, and its a skill too--shows you know how to live on a budget, within your means, and that's no small accomplishment; I've been trying to teach my fiance that ever since we met, but I just don't know how to get it through to him. He's lucky he has a good job, but that's luck, that's all it is; now you're practical--and you can really go a long way with that. And when you get a good job--like I know you will--you won't be foolishly throwing away money on things you don't need 'cause you already know that value of it; and like I said, that is quite a difficult thing to teach someone. Now all you need is a little luck, and I'm really hoping for the best for you.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 08-21-2009 at 05:36 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Hey, I'm on your side. I'd always take the people who messed-up/made some not so great decisions over those I-made-so-much-of-my-life people any day. They're (the former that is) usually genuine and way more interesting; plus I identify with those people too.

This is what I'm talking about. Show everyone they're wrong about you; its the best feeling.

That's impressive--especially when there are like so many others with debt. Saving money is a difficult thing, and its a skill too--shows you know how to live on a budget, within your means, and that's no small accomplishment; I've been trying to teach my fiance that ever since we met, but I just don't know how to get it through to him. He's lucky he has a good job, but that's luck, that's all it is; now you're practical--and you can really go a long way with that. And when you get a good job--like I know you will--you won't be foolishly throwing away money on things you don't need 'cause you already know that value of it; and like I said, that is quite a difficult thing to teach someone. Now all you need is a little luck, and I'm really hoping for the best for you.

Thank you. I used to spend alot of money. thankfully it was on my kids. But we've really buckled down. Its nice to have expensive things or things that you want but those wont help me out in a bind. My husband had to be pushed a little bit, can live without surround sound and wii games But, he really started picking up.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:35 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,066,529 times
Just a quick note. One of the top articles in the paper today is our unemployment numbers. Officially 13.something %. And that's the OFFICIAL number. In reality it's probably at least 5 points higher. So if unemployment is around 20%, yes, it's a tough, very tough, job market out there.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,342,699 times
It looks like UE is 12.5% statewide and just over 13% in and around LV. The second link says that the 'true' UE rate, often known as U6, was considered to be close to 20% in the Spring of 2009. Of course, it's quite possible that it's now above 20%

Unemployment numbers released for July 2009 - KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. (http://www.ktnv.com/global/story.asp?s=10968486 - broken link)
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/bu...ef=todayspaper

Old 08-21-2009, 06:07 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,240,179 times
Just to set the record straight here is how our young mother started out.

Ever hear anything shout "I am a flake" than this?

Quote:
I am 23 years old and i currently live in Iowa. I am currently seperated from my husband and I have 3 small children: 5, 2 and 1. We are looking to start our lives over and try to build a family again. We travel to Las Vegas atleast 3 times a year. And its not the normal 23 year old traveling. we spend most of our time off the strip. I am not a huge fan of the strip except for at night. I am trying to get my degree in Human Services at Univ of Phoenix. I have spent the last 5 years doing college and i am still a freshmen. In iowa I have probably lived everywhere on the west side and I have either work or applied at every job in des moines. I am struggling to keep a relationship with my parents how live down the street but as a young mother they treat me more like a disappointment than anything else. I am thought about moving to vegas several times but i have fears about schools for my children, neighborhoods and just simplying going out on my own. I'm not one of those people who thinks a new zip code will change everything over night. I know that if i struggle here i would struggle there unless i make the right decisions and choices. Is Henderson a good place to start a new life?

She has become much more rational over the pages. And the fact situation has changed...hubby has returned home and money is well available.

I am still left with the view she would be much better off trying to cut it in Iowa than in Las Vegas.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:52 AM

437 posts, read 793,454 times
"I am trying to get my degree in Human Services at Univ of Phoenix."

Is the the Human Services degree sponsored by the Human Fund?

Sorry, I'm just a big Seinfeld fan. Carry on.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:17 AM

10,035 posts, read 9,523,851 times
Quote:
I am 23 years old and i currently live in Iowa. I am currently seperated from my husband and I have 3 small children: 5, 2 and 1. We are looking to start our lives over and try to build a family again. We travel to Las Vegas atleast 3 times a year. And its not the normal 23 year old traveling. we spend most of our time off the strip. I am not a huge fan of the strip except for at night. I am trying to get my degree in Human Services at Univ of Phoenix. I have spent the last 5 years doing college and i am still a freshmen. In iowa I have probably lived everywhere on the west side and I have either work or applied at every job in des moines. I am struggling to keep a relationship with my parents how live down the street but as a young mother they treat me more like a disappointment than anything else. I am thought about moving to vegas several times but i have fears about schools for my children, neighborhoods and just simplying going out on my own. I'm not one of those people who thinks a new zip code will change everything over night. I know that if i struggle here i would struggle there unless i make the right decisions and choices. Is Henderson a good place to start a new life?
Unless you have a marketable skill, such as nursing, then the chance of getting a good paying job is rare.

You want to move across country with little or no money and during these hard economic times? This would be difficult for anyone moving on their own, but as a single mother you plan on bringing three young kids with you. Did you also factor in child care for your two younger kids? If you are lucky enough to get a job, odds are you would get the crappy night or grave yard shift, so did you consider the cost of a babysitter for all three while you are at work? I doubt you would earn enough to pay for the child care, let alone rent, food, utilities, transportation, etc..

Olecapt is correct, your odds are at best 10%. Stay where you are.....

Old 08-22-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Just to set the record straight here is how our young mother started out.

Ever hear anything shout "I am a flake" than this?

She has become much more rational over the pages. And the fact situation has changed...hubby has returned home and money is well available.

I am still left with the view she would be much better off trying to cut it in Iowa than in Las Vegas.

Do we really have to go through this again. I said "we are trying to start a family". I can understand that it may come across that i meant me and my children but i didnt. I meant my kids, me and my husband. Thats not flakey, thats not understanding what i wrote.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Unless you have a marketable skill, such as nursing, then the chance of getting a good paying job is rare.

You want to move across country with little or no money and during these hard economic times? This would be difficult for anyone moving on their own, but as a single mother you plan on bringing three young kids with you. Did you also factor in child care for your two younger kids? If you are lucky enough to get a job, odds are you would get the crappy night or grave yard shift, so did you consider the cost of a babysitter for all three while you are at work? I doubt you would earn enough to pay for the child care, let alone rent, food, utilities, transportation, etc..

Olecapt is correct, your odds are at best 10%. Stay where you are.....

I havent thought about daycare because i am not a single mother. my husband keeps our kids when i am at work which wouldn't change with a new zip code. My daughters are to young for daycare and my son is in kindergarten. Maybe I should not have mentioned that we were seperated because no one seems to understand what my point was. I was trying to stress the fact that we were seperatd but we've reconciled and we are trying to start a life together as a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: