Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Denmark for 17+ years. I am a permanent resident of Denmark and not a citizen because I would have to renounce my US citizenship to acquire danish citizenship by danish law, only. What makes it hard is that my danish wife who has no plans to live in the US, and is on pension, can only stay there for 3 months at a time, while i can be out of Denmark continuously for up to 1 year. Hopefully, double citizenship will become a reality for danes overseas and foreigners in Denmark in a year or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 AM

529 posts, read 1,086,490 times
Welcome to the 21 century!

One citizesnship will be a thing of the past in the next one hundred years. According to the NY Times, green card holders are refusing to take American citizenship, but continue to live in the U.S.

Most of these people usually come from well developed countries in Europe, some from China, believe it or not, and the rest from all over the world. One thing most have in common is that they are highly educated, skilled, speak English fluently and are attached to their national identity. They prefer the freedom of movement, to be able to work in Europe as well as in America.

Dual citizens are also Mexicans, Dominicans, Polish, Irish, Spaniards, Swedes and a growing number of Americans. This seems to be spreading quickly.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post

One citizesnship will be a thing of the past in the next one hundred years. According to the NY Times, green card holders are refusing to take American citizenship, but continue to live in the U.S.

Most of these people usually come from well developed countries in Europe, some from China, believe it or not, and the rest from all over the world. One thing most have in common is that they are highly educated, skilled, speak English fluently and are attached to their national identity. They prefer the freedom of movement, to be able to work in Europe as well as in America.

Dual citizens are also Mexicans, Dominicans, Polish, Irish, Spaniards, Swedes and a growing number of Americans. This seems to be spreading quickly.
A Legal Permanent Resident isn't required to naturalize, and would not have as much "freedom of movement" as you attribute without it (too long of stay outside the United States would be abandoning U.S. residency)...

Old 09-03-2013, 01:17 PM

186 posts, read 362,283 times
and why,, Adolph, should people not be "allowed" to have citizenship in more than one country? Ronald Regan got Irish citizenship (dual with US, of course) and encouraged every uS citizen to get duel citizenship, in case that person is kidnapped by persons not friendly to the US. It most certainly is legal to do so, and there is no reason for it to be illegal.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:45 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post

My Polish grandfather immigrated to the US before WW I and never became a US citizen until 1935. I don't know that my Polish grandmother or either of my Italian grandparents ever became citizens. My grandmother came to the US prior to WW I and my Italian grandparents came in 1905.

This is NOT a new phenomenon. Moreover, neither of my grandmothers ever learned more than a few words of English, and my grandfathers were only able to speak very limited English. That, too, was very common, despite the myths circulating that immigrants instantly and magically learned to speak English when they got off "the boat" at Ellis Island.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Dual citizens most often are seeking advantages only --- almost never do they seek dual citizenship so they can pay taxes to both countries, serve in both countries military in case of war. They want all the advantages without the responsibilities.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Dual citizens most often are seeking advantages only --- almost never do they seek dual citizenship so they can pay taxes to both countries, serve in both countries military in case of war. They want all the advantages without the responsibilities.
Of course and I am totally opposed to dual citizenship. How can one hold allegiance to two different countries at the same time?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
I became US citizen 2 years ago. And I had to SWEAR to give up all allegiances to other countries.

The immigration officer said to me, that the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship.

Just my 2 Cents ...

Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
"Legal for U.S. citizens" has no meaning because dual-citizenship has no significance where the United States is concerned. You're either a U.S. citizen, or you're not.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:58 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Of course and I am totally opposed to dual citizenship. How can one hold allegiance to two different countries at the same time?
Dual citizenship is not always a matter of choice. For example, British couple doing a two year secondment to their company's New York office. They just happen to have a child (as young married couples often do) when they are in the USA. Under US law, the child is a US citizen. Under British law, the child is a British citizen. And, guess what, if the child just happens to have an Irish grandparent, they can also be Irish.

Meanwhile, the child doesn't actually give a flying one. Its allegiance is to who feeds and changes it. Subsequently, the child is most likely to be loyal to the country they grow up in. And in today's international economy and highly mobile workforce, that does not have to be the one they actually have a passport for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration