Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:33 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you've "worked in this field for 13 years" and still advocate blindly following the letter of the law even when you know it is not the prudent thing for someone to do, then you certainly do have a quite obvious agenda.
That "agenda" as you put it is the enforcement of immigration law.

Quote:
Your advice runs counter to advice a qualified lawyer or most people familiar with the law would give.
My advice keeps them from running afoul the law. I have little regard for lawyers in the immigration field who charge enormous amounts of money to fill out applications the applicant could fill out.

Quote:
Re-read the initial post, they never specified how or if they entered the US. You are assuming they are in the US and then you are giving out bad--or at least incomplete--advice based on that assumption.
Reread my post. I covered all sides of the spectrum.

Quote:
If you don't have an agenda, you'd take the time to acknowledge the truths in my posts and add additional helpful information, as I have in yours. I truly welcome your warnings about the consequences of skirting the law in places, but you need to acknowledge what is the prudent thing for people to do if you want to be taken seriously as a helpful poster instead of just another anti-immigrant ranter or worse.
Good. Common ground. Keep in mind I remove people for violating said law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 15,873 times
Portugal is a member of the EU. I think the EU rule is that the spouse of an EU citizen can work within EU even if that one is not a citizen.

So, take a trip to Portugal and if the internet love proves right, marry there and stay there until 2012. And try to stay out of troubles.

As soon as your file is clean or you can sponsor your spouse for the US, do it.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:36 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Good. Common ground. Keep in mind I remove people for violating said law.
How can I keep something in mind that you never bothered to state?

Well, no surprise then why you answer the way you do, and your occupation confirms that you have an agenda which does not necessarily correspond to giving advice which is necessarily best for those inquiring here. You'd do well to admit it to yourself and confess it when giving advice to those who might not have read our discussion in this thread.

One last time, I'll suggest you identify your potential conflict of interests when posting advice, and then I'll let this lie as no one else seems interested in this thread, save the two of us. I will read your response, though, should you bother to post one.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
How can I keep something in mind that you never bothered to state?

Well, no surprise then why you answer the way you do, and your occupation confirms that you have an agenda which does not necessarily correspond to giving advice which is necessarily best for those inquiring here. You'd do well to admit it to yourself and confess it when giving advice to those who might not have read our discussion in this thread.

One last time, I'll suggest you identify your potential conflict of interests when posting advice, and then I'll let this lie as no one else seems interested in this thread, save the two of us. I will read your response, though, should you bother to post one.
My occupation is no agenda. I swore an oath to uphold all laws and I keep my word.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:51 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,765 times
The U.S. recognizes dual citizenship.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:19 PM

257 posts, read 1,445,108 times
My DD was born in USA and is automatically a canadian citizen due to Canadian parents. America doesn't follow us to Canada to tell us to choose one.
Now, if it had been the other way around, they would ask her to have her Canadian status renounced.
I had a neighbour born in the states but has Canadian citizenship as well. The American gov.never bothered her about it.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:06 PM

184 posts, read 837,356 times
The US definitely allows dual citizenship but they have not always done so - maybe that's why some people didn't know it's possible. I have even heard of some people being falsely told by immigration lawyers that it is not possible.

Quite a few posts ago minibrings posted a link to the official US state department website describing the US policy on dual citizenship. Here it is again...
US State Department Services Dual Nationality

For those that can't be bothered reading it, it clearly states "The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy".

Here is another quote from it "A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another."

Why are a few people still trying to claim it is not possible? You are wrong. If you still don't believe it then please post a link to something contradicting the US state department's own policy instead of just making unfounded claims. That is not very helpful to anybody here.

Last edited by MarcNZ; 06-19-2009 at 06:18 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
The US definitely allows dual citizenship but they have not always done so - maybe that's why some people didn't know it's possible. I have even heard of some people being falsely told by immigration lawyers that it is not possible.

Quite a few posts ago minibrings posted a link to the official US state department website describing the US policy on dual citizenship. Here it is again...
US State Department Services Dual Nationality

For those that can't be bothered reading it, it clearly states "The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy".

Here is another quote from it "A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another."

Why are a few people still trying to claim it is not possible? You are wrong. If you still don't believe it then please post a link to something contradicting the US state department's own policy instead of just making unfounded claims. That is not very helpful to anybody here.
Claim dual citizenship to a CBP officer and watch what happens.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:15 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
So, I am confused here. Are you saying that the CBP has a different interpretation of the law than does the State Department?

Old 06-20-2009, 02:44 PM

184 posts, read 837,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So, I am confused here. Are you saying that the CBP has a different interpretation of the law than does the State Department?
That's what it looks like they are trying to claim to me too.

Quote:
You speak with such authority (and say that you have worked in this field for better than 13 years) about a number of immigration/visa issues that they sound plausible but the fact that you are ignoring the evidence presented to you draws into question the other posts you have made, we have no way of knowing whether they are accurate or not.

Once again, if you have information contradicting the US State Department then PLEASE post it instead of just saying "watch what happens".

When entering the US, citizens are required are required to present their US passport, but are free to carry as many as they would like. Here is another link to a different part of the state department's website.

Questions About Visas?

Since I have to assume you won't bother reading this one either, it states.

"I have dual citizenship. Which passport should I use to travel to the United States?
All U.S. citizens, even dual citizens/nationals, must enter and depart the United States using his/her U.S. passport."

Last edited by MarcNZ; 06-20-2009 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration