Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:24 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,403 times

Advertisements

How did you manage to even get a credit card here?

That is insane and probably a part of the reason why we are in this mess. People rack up credit then flee the country before paying it off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.salem View Post
I left USA almost 5 years ago; I was studying in North Carolina under F1 visa. Unfortunately, when I left the States I had several thousand debts on my credit cards (different cards from different banks).

In fact, I couldn’t manage to pay it back since then!,,,,,
That is key here, you have made no attempt to repay this debt. You have not been man enough to contact them and say "here I am, let's make some payments".

Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 PM

9 posts, read 44,936 times
Thank you all for replying and I understand all points of view. Ethically and morally it's wrong, but I will repay is sooner or later. The amount was less than $6000 from different cards, I don't know what is the total now after interests!

NEOhioBound: CC debts isn't an American issue. All countries even mine face these problems daily, many Americans who lost their jobs in DUBAI - UAE left the country without paying their rent, or car installment, or credit card bill. I don't think you can blame the foreigners only, but what is 100% it's always wrong.

It's OK to blame and I understand. I just got into this situation where I should visit States for few months and I want to know first if I can apply for a visa, second if I can enter. I'm not planning to rent a car, or to get cell phone, or even to have a credit card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
No, don't worry about it. USCIS is not a debt enforcement agency. Like everyone else says, you'll have a hard time if you had and used your A# or SSID to secure the credit cards and try using these numbers again. However, since you're just going to be back for a few months of training, it's unlikely that your debts are going to catch up to you, whether they should or not.

You ought to take the opportunity to try paying back your debts while you are in the United States. After all, you bought stuff with that money, so it's dishonest and makes you no better than a common theif if you don't.
sponger42: Thank you for replying.
I don't recall that I ever had A# but for sure SSID. Nevertheless, many international students ,when I were there, didn't have SSID.

1- So you think there is no link between CC companines and USCIS? And I can apply for VISA nd enter?

2- Is there a possiblity to check if there is (traffic tickets) on me when I am aboard?

Last edited by jim.salem; 11-11-2009 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: adding more points

Old 11-12-2009, 01:26 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,067,439 times
Quote:
I'm not planning... ...even to have a credit card.
Wise choice.

Quote:
I don't recall that I ever had A# but for sure SSID. Nevertheless, many international students ,when I were there, didn't have SSID.
Your cc debt is tied to your SSID. When you use it, it will ping the CC company's radar. Five years later, though, chances are they've written you off.

Even if they manage to serve you with a civil suit, that doesn't impinge on your ability to travel, work, apply for visas, or immigrate. As long as you avoid criminal charges, you are fine. Our government is not yet in the business of enforcing private debt.

Quote:
1- So you think there is no link between CC companines and USCIS? And I can apply for VISA nd enter?
Yes. No link. USCIS might investigate your financial records, but I very much doubt they care if you have debt. They're more interested in looking for criminal activity like tax evasion or proof of residence. They certainly won't haul you off to jail. There's no prison for debtors in the US. Teeny tiny chance they might turn you back at the border, but I'm 99% certain that they won't (at least not because of your CC debt). You could call them and ask beforehand.

Quote:
2- Is there a possiblity to check if there is (traffic tickets) on me when I am aboard?
Probably, google the municipality where you got the tickets. USCIS specifically excludes traffic violations and summons when it asks about your criminal convictions. I'm a little shaky on this, so if you've got an outstanding warrant for a traffic ticket, you'd better check with a lawyer before you take any further action.

If you have an unpaid ticket from 5 years ago, there's probably a warrant out for your arrest in that county (subdivision of a state, usually about 20 square miles in size give or take). There is a chance that the local municipality won't submit that info to the Federal government and USCIS and the border patrol won't have a clue about it. I don't think you'll get hauled off to jail at the border for a traffic warrant, but you'd better make sure of that with a lawyer first. I'd say 80% chance that you wouldn't. Still, if you go back to the county where you got the ticket and you identify yourself to law enforcement, they'll probably arrest you on the spot. This process could get you deported, but I really doubt it.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:58 AM

sponger42: thank you and as Jamaicans say "Respect". Your information was very helpful.

1- About (traffic tickets) I was confused with another thing when I asked you. I though it's a tickets regarding the debts. Oh man. Actually, I didn't get any ticket when I was at States not even one. Even my credit score was very good!.

2- It's 100% guaranteed the training won't be in North Carolina, so I'm not thinking to visit NC again.

3- As I remember now, when some of international students applied for social security number, that was because we wanted to get work permit while we studying there. Many didn't have and the rent house and open saving account by using international identifications. And when renting they paid double deposit. So do you think I'll need to have SS# when I'm there?

4- As I know SS# is one for live. But in case that international people changes their passport every decades and the passport will have different number and that's thing. What about this case?

5- One of my friend there checked my credit reports and he said that

a. The report shows that you have few cards with balance. Status of two of them is "charged off", and the rest "account is scheduled to continue on record until Dec 2011"

b. One status was " Transferred, closed " which I don't know the meaning.

c. Two have creditor statement " Purchased by another Lender"

d. 5 accounts under (Accounts in Good Standing), and I remember I closed them when I was there.

Are these information help more?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:55 AM

24,596 posts, read 10,909,474 times
You got your education in the US and left your bills behind. Now you are sweating it because your employer may find out that you are dishonest and expect to hear here that everything will be fine and life will go on.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
You got your education in the US and left your bills behind. Now you are sweating it because your employer may find out that you are dishonest and expect to hear here that everything will be fine and life will go on.
As I understand this sub-forum is regarding Legal Immigration issues! And if I was looking for ethics lesson, I would go for it at the right place.

You never asked what the reasons were! People now in USA are losing their house because they can't pay their mortgage loan. Do you think they were planning for that?

I didn't say I'm proud for what I left, however i mentioned that I have intention to zero all balances when I'm capable to afford doing that.

Anyway, thank you and I'm looking forward for (sponger42) reply.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:31 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
I didn't say I'm proud for what I left, however i mentioned that I have intention to zero all balances when I'm capable to afford doing that.

Yeah, right. We won't hold our breath.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
I find it hard to believe in five years time you haven't found a few dollars a month to send towards your obligations.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:17 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
As far as I know there is no connection between the Immigration authorities and the credit bureaus in the USA. So you shouldn't have a problem entering & leaving the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration