Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 PM

9 posts, read 44,929 times

Advertisements

I left USA almost 5 years ago; I was studying in North Carolina under F1 visa. Unfortunately, when I left the States I had several thousand debts on my credit cards (different cards from different banks).

In fact, I couldn’t manage to pay it back since then!

My job is asking me going for a practical training for several months in USA!. As I read this time I may need to apply for M1 visa because it’s none academic studying.

I’m afraid that something bad could happen when I re-enter USA at the airport.

Could someone tell me about this case?

Last edited by jim.salem; 11-11-2009 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: font changing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 02:01 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
hopefully they will deny you visa request until you pay what you owe.....it's the American way....

Old 11-11-2009, 03:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
You "managed" to run up the CCs. Where I come from you stand up for your deeds.
Unfortunately you will probably not have an issue as immigration and debt collection are not yet sharing data. It will come out of the woodwork once you get into rent/lease/buy mode.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:13 PM

dynimagelv: I respect your opinion. But actually it didn't help. What I was asking:

1- Will 5 years old bad CC debts effect applying for Visa whether M1 or F1? Or there is no link between them?

2- When I arrive at the US port, will be there any problem or not?

Thanx

Old 11-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Threestep: Thank you for your reply. I respect what you think, and I understand that.

I'm not thinking about renting or even applying for any financial facilities during my visit. I think the institution offer accommodation.

So you think there is no links between the bad debts and applying for visa? and no problem at airport?

Old 11-11-2009, 04:18 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,194 times
I am not sure about the M or F visa; I know that US based debt can influence getting an immigration visa though.

If you do get a visa, I very much doubt anything will happen at the airport, but once in the USA, credit card companies/ collection agencies will likely come after you, and you may end up in court. Of course, due to bad credit history, you will also have trouble getting anything that you need credit for (some rental agencies/ landlords require credit checks, you won't be able to get a credit card, rent a car etc).

Old 11-11-2009, 05:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.salem View Post
Threestep: Thank you for your reply. I respect what you think, and I understand that.

I'm not thinking about renting or even applying for any financial facilities during my visit. I think the institution offer accommodation.

So you think there is no links between the bad debts and applying for visa? and no problem at airport?
It depends. If any of those debts were for traffic tickets there is quite possibly a bench warrant out for your arrest.

You might not be able to rent a car, because your bad credit will show at the car rental counter.

You will not be able to open a bank account to cash your paycheck, and if your creditors find out you are in the country, they could try to seize any assets you might have.

Do we have debtors prison? Unfortunately, no.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:46 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,145 times
Of course the CC debt will rediscover your location as soon as you apply for an auto rental, home rental or another kind of free-bee you are looking to receive. They will deny you a visa...A university or college will too and you mention practical training. What is not practical about paying your debts. Other countries would remove fingers for lying or cheating.. Do you have any left to give?
Funny because you have run away from your responsibilities and now trying to figure out how to do it again. Why come back to America?

Too bad there are no prisons for crooks. Oh Yes there are.... Tell us where you plan to arrive and we can arrange a greeting party.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.salem View Post
I left USA almost 5 years ago; I was studying in North Carolina under F1 visa. Unfortunately, when I left the States I had several thousand debts on my credit cards (different cards from different banks).

In fact, I couldn’t manage to pay it back since then!

My job is asking me going for a practical training for several months in USA!. As I read this time I may need to apply for M1 visa because it’s none academic studying.

I’m afraid that something bad could happen when I re-enter USA at the airport.

Could someone tell me about this case?
Stay out, we don't need anymore deadbeats here.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
No, don't worry about it. USCIS is not a debt enforcement agency. Like everyone else says, you'll have a hard time if you had and used your A# or SSID to secure the credit cards and try using these numbers again. However, since you're just going to be back for a few months of training, it's unlikely that your debts are going to catch up to you, whether they should or not.

You ought to take the opportunity to try paying back your debts while you are in the United States. After all, you bought stuff with that money, so it's dishonest and makes you no better than a common theif if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration