Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 03:12 PM

9 posts, read 44,932 times

Advertisements

Please watch Michael Moore’s movies and Jerry Springer’s show then talk about ethics dude.

I’m sorry that you and some of others dragged the topic to such unworthy argues!

And regarding my broken English: People who live in Glass houses should not throw Stones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 03:23 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You'd think the credit card companies would be smarter than to give a student here on an F1 a credit card. I think there is fine print that states that you certify you are a citizen or Green Card holder when you apply for a credit card. If so and he signed anyhow, he could be brought up on fraud charges.
I don't think being a US citizen or a green card holder is asked about when one is applying for an American credit card. I know many people in the USA on other types of work visas that have gotten American credit cards.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't think being a US citizen or a green card holder is asked about when one is applying for an American credit card. I know many people in the USA on other types of work visas that have gotten American credit cards.
I just went and looked up a few of them, and they all state (paraphrasing) that you must have a permanent address in the United States or Washington, DC to apply. A person who is not a permanent resident or citizen can not make that staement, or they are committing fraud.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:07 PM

39 posts, read 115,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

Concur. American credit card companies don't ask you to prove permanent residency or citizen statuses because they don't require it. So F-1 students getting credit cards are not committing any kind of fraud.

In regards to the original poster, his problem is his ethics, not how he acquired a credit card.

Once upon a time, all international students were required to get a social security number. The cards come saying "not authorized for work" or something to that effect. As you know though you can do a lot of things with a SS#. Then a number of years ago (definately in the last decade) the rules changed such that only those international students with on-campus (or off, or "practical training") could apply for a SS#. Realize that for the most part, F-1 students cannot work in the US because they are here to study not work. Those who can't get a SS# because they don't meet the requirements get a "letter of ineligibility" from the social security office and they can use that to get a driver's license, open a bank account, get a credit card etc. So see, still no fraud. This should also tell you that SS aren't actually required by law to open a bank account, or get a driver's license etc, in the US. If Americans don't like that, they should definately contact their representatives in government, because the foreigners are playing by the rules. Truly.

Just a matter of the original poster ethics.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:16 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
jim.salem DM'd me to ask this question:

What does everyone else think?

Judging from his posts on here, I do not believe he is literate in written english. Although he can crudely communicate in written english enough to make himself understood, he lacks even an english speaking grade school child's understanding of grammar, punctuation, basic sentence structure, etc.

This person couldn't pass a CHILD'S english test.

I would love to know what "college" or "university" he went to here in NC. UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, Wake Forest perhaps? DEFINITELY none of those.
Oh for goodness' sake. Go through any of these forums and then try and tell me that the average American has a good command of the written English language ... The OP asked a question which has been more than adequately answered for the time being and to go into the realm of a personal attack based on his English is very low when his English is perfectly comprehensible.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:23 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Of course the prepaid CC is "the worst choice" for someone like you because you have to fund that yourself, you are not getting a line of credit from someone else to spend.

So in order to get a credit card, you signed the CC companies' applications as if you were a green card holder or citizen even though you were here on a temporary F-1 student visa and you think "that is nothing wrong or lie?" That is committing fraud.

By the way, where do you come from?

Even illegals can get credit cards.

Senate Votes to Give Credit Cards to Illegal Aliens | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels

Should banks give illegal immigrants credit cards? | Immigration Chronicles | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Credit cards for illegal immigrants cause controversy

Bank Defends Credit Cards for Illegal Immigrants : NPR

Old 11-12-2009, 04:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousg View Post
Concur. American credit card companies don't ask you to prove permanent residency or citizen statuses because they don't require it. So F-1 students getting credit cards are not committing any kind of fraud.

In regards to the original poster, his problem is his ethics, not how he acquired a credit card.

Once upon a time, all international students were required to get a social security number. The cards come saying "not authorized for work" or something to that effect. As you know though you can do a lot of things with a SS#. Then a number of years ago (definately in the last decade) the rules changed such that only those international students with on-campus (or off, or "practical training") could apply for a SS#. Realize that for the most part, F-1 students cannot work in the US because they are here to study not work. Those who can't get a SS# because they don't meet the requirements get a "letter of ineligibility" from the social security office and they can use that to get a driver's license, open a bank account, get a credit card etc. So see, still no fraud. This should also tell you that SS aren't actually required by law to open a bank account, or get a driver's license etc, in the US. If Americans don't like that, they should definately contact their representatives in government, because the foreigners are playing by the rules. Truly.

Just a matter of the original poster ethics.
The fraud is committed when the persons ascertains that they have a permanent address in the US.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Great, just great.

So what do the credit card companies do when the illegal aliens skip town?

Make the rest of us pay more?

Old 11-12-2009, 04:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"thank you and as Jamaicans say "Respect". Your information was very helpful."
^^^^^^^^^
I'm not sure but this may be a hint..
I would hope not! Jamaicans are literate in the english language because it is their official language.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 PM

39 posts, read 115,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The fraud is committed when the persons ascertains that they have a permanent address in the US.
That is your interpretation and not the interpretation of US law.
"permanent residence" on credit card applications and such is actually not a legal category, it just refers to the the active residential address in the US. Dorm addresses count.

Otherwise you are saying that every single non-green card holder or US citizen in the US has committed fraud for opening a bank account, getting a cell phone, getting a credit card, ...and not only that but that International Student Advisors, Financial Aid advisors, employers, the banks themselves, the credit card companies etc are also in cahoots in committing the fraud because most times the foreigner has to show their *foreign* passport as identification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration