Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:40 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
As far as I know there is no connection between the Immigration authorities and the credit bureaus in the USA. So you shouldn't have a problem entering & leaving the USA.
No problem for now.

Let's write our legislators and give them an idea for a new law making credit checks for abandoned debt in the US at the border routine. If someone leaves the country and leaves their debt behind, the credit card companies can then get legal judgments against them in court and those show up on credit checks.

Employers can harass Americans all they want with "checking their credit" for no reason at all except they are nosy, not because the employee might handle money or have access to company bank accounts. Why not harass foreign actual or "potential" deadbeats too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I find it hard to believe in five years time you haven't found a few dollars a month to send towards your obligations.
I am sure he/she/it probably only gets paid the equivalent of a couple of hundred US dollars PER MONTH.

When they used the credit, they knew they were going home and they knew they were leaving it behind, because nobody who is going home to an economy that pays third-world wages who intended to repay debt of over US$6000 would have spent that much in the first place because they would know it is probably a good chunk of their own yearly income.

So this is credit card fraud. They were going home to a low wage country and never intended to pay it back.

Now they are sweating because their employer back home wants to send them to the US for training and they thought they got off scot-free and left the country with all the stuff they bought that added up to US$6000 without ever paying for any of it.

What comes around goes around.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
How did you manage to even get a credit card here?

That is insane and probably a part of the reason why we are in this mess. People rack up credit then flee the country before paying it off!
They got a credit card because the banks know that if they don't pay, the banks can push it off on us, who are stuck here as bank customers and are not abandoning the country anytime soon. Of course it is common sense that banks should't give credit card loans to students here temporarily, but they will take the chance because they have a fall back piggy bank: the rest of us.

So the rates get higher for the rest of us.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am sure he/she/it probably only gets paid the equivalent of a couple of hundred US dollars PER MONTH.

When they used the credit, they knew they were going home and they knew they were leaving it behind, because nobody who is going home to an economy that pays third-world wages who intended to repay debt of over US$6000 would have spent that much in the first place because they would know it is probably a good chunk of their own yearly income.

So this is credit card fraud. They were going home to a low wage country and never intended to pay it back.

Now they are sweating because their employer back home wants to send them to the US for training and they thought they got off scot-free and left the country with all the stuff they bought that added up to US$6000 without ever paying for any of it.

What comes around goes around.
Too bad it's not like the UAE where you can get imprisoned if you are a foreign national who renigs on debt.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Too bad it's not like the UAE where you can get imprisoned if you are a foreign national who renigs on debt.
OP says otherwise and claims Americans do it all the time there with no problems:

Quote:
CC debts isn't an American issue. All countries even mine face these problems daily, many Americans who lost their jobs in DUBAI - UAE left the country without paying their rent, or car installment, or credit card bill. I don't think you can blame the foreigners only, but what is 100% it's always wrong.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
OP says otherwise and claims Americans do it all the time there with no problems:
They leave the country to avoid criminal prosecution. If they try to re-enter the UAE they will be arrested.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
A comment by OP makes me think Dubai or within the area. The job market there is not what it used to be and cost of living has skyrocketed. An employer does not go through cost and effort to send an employee to the US for training if he does not see value in this employee.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,066,590 times
Sorry, I'm not a financial advisor. I just answer immigration questions if I know them. Your safest and most honest course of action is to pay off your outstanding debts.

You won't be in legal trouble if you come back to the US, but you will probably be in financial trouble. It will be hard to get people to trust you financially; as others have said: cautious landlords will run your credit and refuse to rent to you. Same thing for any sort of loan. There are high-interest loans and shady landlords who you can use to sneak around repaying your debts, but it's really not worth it as you'll end up paying more and having more problems in the end.

If you contact your debtors and work out a payment plan with them after you get back, you can get on the road to fixing your financial boat.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
A comment by OP makes me think Dubai or within the area. The job market there is not what it used to be and cost of living has skyrocketed. An employer does not go through cost and effort to send an employee to the US for training if he does not see value in this employee.
I think he probably used that as an example, not that he comes from there.

I agree Dubai is no third-world wages type of place. I know someone who works in Dubai and he is not a piker who could not pay $6,000 in five years! He'd definitely have it paid off in less than one year.

Low level (entry) and low paid workers from the third world arrive everyday in the USA for training so that doesn't mean the OP is anything special. OP's employer probably just doesn't know about the debts or if they knew, might not care anyway since it won't affect them directly. Even if the credit card companies got a judgment against the OP they cannot garnish the OP's pay overseas like they could if he lived here, so there is no inconvenience to an employer overseas.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:34 PM

You'd think the credit card companies would be smarter than to give a student here on an F1 a credit card. I think there is fine print that states that you certify you are a citizen or Green Card holder when you apply for a credit card. If so and he signed anyhow, he could be brought up on fraud charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration