Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:19 PM

21 posts, read 25,579 times

Advertisements

Last edited by James IV; 03-29-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 03-29-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
I agree.

And again, for those bigging up New York's alleged financial dominance, who cares? London kills NYC in history, culture, architecture and green space. Things that are far more important and interesting.
In your opinion.

Unfortunately for you, most people know New York is the superior city. After all, 14,000 people around the world were recently given a survey and New York was voted the best city in the world. Dig deeper into the results, even UK residents picked New York over London. LOL.

What's the best city in the world? | Ben Page and Simon Atkinson | Comment is free | theguardian.com

More popular (for a reason) and richer.

Last edited by James IV; 03-29-2014 at 11:16 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 01:12 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James IV View Post
Good Lord. London looks so dreary and depressing from those pictures. I have been there several times and I didn't think much of it to be honest...looked a bit grim. And the grey weather makes it look even worse.

I'm going with NYC as the better city.
Hardly, London is a beautiful city with fantastic architecture, green space and history, it's NYC that generally suffers the worse winters and has the more depressing architecture.

As for the London picture, they were very nice in my opinion, despite the fact it's only March here and hardly summer weather.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
In your opinion.

Unfortunately for you, most people know New York is the superior city. After all, 14,000 people around the world were recently given a survey and New York was voted the best city in the world. Dig deeper into the results, even UK residents picked New York over London. LOL.

What's the best city in the world? | Ben Page and Simon Atkinson | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Ipsos MORI | Poll | Boost for UK as London voted one of the world

London voted best city in the world, knocking Paris off the top spot – Now. Here. This. – Time Out London

London dethrones Paris as 'world

Then again I like Paris, it's a mere 2 hours from London by train and is a great city to visit, NYC is a lot more gritty and depressing than either London or indeed Paris.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 AM

296 posts, read 469,452 times
Quote:
Good Lord. London looks so dreary and depressing from those pictures. I have been there several times and I didn't think much of it to be honest...looked a bit grim. And the grey weather makes it look even worse.

I'm going with NYC as the better city.
Back so soon? I guess with the weather in NY still being freezing/rainy/depressing and all, the only thing worthwhile for you to do is to stay indoors and troll the London forum out of spite.

(Meanwhile conditions in London are warm with beautiful clear skies/light scattered clouds.)

BTW Do you have any more ugly/grey pictures of NY to share?

Old 03-30-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Old.

New York is now the billionaire capital of the world by most measures.

And UBS's new Billionaire Census.
It all depends how you measure Billionaires, London has the most foreign billionaires and has many people not counted as residence who spend a good deal of time in London and have London homes, including the Sultan of Brunei, Saudi Royal Family, Sheikh Al Maktoum, the Qatari Royal Family the Aga Khan and numerous others.

Furthermore a number of billionaires live just outside London in the very green and pleasant home counties such as Surrey.

From Russia with Hate: What's not to like about billionaire Andrey Borodin's life? - Home News - UK - The Independent

Although I am not sure how the number of billionaires makes a city better, indeed NYC was probably a far cooler place before the current gentrification and disneyfication when iconic places such as CBGB's still operated. Whilst in terms of millionaires, any one who owns a property in many parts of Manhattan is going to be a millionaire and the same applies to many parts of Central London, although a lot of London property is now being bought by foreigner from the Far East and elsewhere looking for a safe investment.

Last edited by Bamford; 03-30-2014 at 02:08 AM..

Old 03-30-2014, 04:07 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,491 times
Quote:
In your opinion.

It's not an opinion that London has more history (and as a result a richer culture), more green space and more varied architecture - those are facts! And those things are important to me and many others. And I like NYC but your pictures did make it look a bit dreary, unlike the pics of London posted here which capture the essence of the city very well. Sorry.

And a poll of 18,000 from a population of 6 billion is hardly representative. On another day the result could be much different.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 AM

16,675 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Quite frankly this thread is all a bit silly, as are so many of these threads that compare one city or country with another.

Both London and New York have their pros and cons.

I have enjoyed both places, generally for different reasons and have resided in both, albeit briefly in NYC.

The bit where 'more zillionaires live in wherever' is so pointless to any ordinary person.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post
Back so soon? I guess with the weather in NY still being freezing/rainy/depressing and all, the only thing worthwhile for you to do is to stay indoors and troll the London forum out of spite.

(Meanwhile conditions in London are warm with beautiful clear skies/light scattered clouds.)

BTW Do you have any more ugly/grey pictures of NY to share?
Are you suggesting that London has great weather? LOL

I'm waiting for you to post more dreary and awful photos of London.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Quite frankly this thread is all a bit silly, as are so many of these threads that compare one city or country with another.

Both London and New York have their pros and cons.

I have enjoyed both places, generally for different reasons and have resided in both, albeit briefly in NYC.

The bit where 'more zillionaires live in wherever' is so pointless to any ordinary person.
Point is - London vs New York is 50% factual and 50% personal preference.

As for the factual part - New York simply trumps London economically. Period. No ifs, and or buts about it. It's richer than London in every single measure.

And for the other 50% part - it's all subjective. We can run this page into 500 pages but we will find the same spatting you'd find on page 1 of this thread. Some will find London a better place to live and the other half will find New York a better place to live. Well, It would probably be more 60% for New York and 40%. I will guarantee you that you will find 10X more Londoners living in New York than the other way around. I know so many Londonerns in New York but you rarely hear of New Yorkers going to live in London. Even high profile UK celebrities..so many in New York no big American ones in London. The poster 'BennyBucks' seems to be one of the very few New Yorkers living in London - and he/she seems to be trying very hard to seek validation that London is somehow better than New York as she keeps comparing the two even though he/she doesn't live in New York anymore and is allegedly happy with her/he London move. LOL.

But as that poll suggested, on the whole, the British think New York is a better city than London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London