Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,816,521 times

Advertisements

I was living on long island for about 6mnths and i was anxiously waiting to move into the city and i did. Long Island isn't for the young but for the older generation who has been here for years to escape the city. I personally don't see the benefits of living on long island id rather live in a nice part of Queens or Brooklyn. Maybe my view point will change after i have children ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 AM

372 posts, read 743,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidfromlongisland View Post
The future of Long Island is not pretty! .......... IT is so obvious to me how much Long Island has deteriorated over the past 10 years. The past few years truly does amaze me! Most of Nassau is an extension of Queens--I have seen it for a long time coming.
.............. Watch out Eastern Nassau and the rest of the South Shore you will look like Elmont and Valley Stream in 10-15 years.

So your problem is with minorities moving into once all white areas? It sounds like you are afraid that middle class and poor whites will soon have no where to go on LI to escape blacks, hispanics and asians.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Agree almost 100% with the OP.

Older people generally may not understand what he is talking about because the system has changed so much. It regretfully isn't just LI, but much of the United States. This generation of 20 year olds w/ college debts, and a poor job market is going to have a hard time buying a house in a lot of places.

I love that the majority of responders talk about 'well, a lot of people have family ties here'. That really isn't a factor one can place in the geographical location itself. If the OP had a 500K house coming to him, I'm sure he might have a different opinion.

However there are quite a few of us out there who have absolutely no family on LI- and of course it questions to reason what we are doing here in the first place.

P.S. - You can't 'vote out' the MTA since they are an authority appointed by the Gov't. Who, hell, we didn't vote for in the first place.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:01 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,953,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
I love that the majority of responders talk about 'well, a lot of people have family ties here'. That really isn't a factor one can place in the geographical location itself. If the OP had a 500K house coming to him, I'm sure he might have a different opinion.
Essentially he's questioning why WE would stay here on LI - so having friends and family around vs. having nobody elsewhere would be quite the factor. Hey maybe that's why former LI'ers are still posting in this forum... they don't know anyone where they are.

Oops I made a generalized assumption.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-01-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 09-01-2010, 06:45 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,466,718 times
NYC is way more expensive to live and you get smaller living space...no beach...you prob don't have a car. Sorry but I think I'll stay here.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
I was living on long island for about 6mnths and i was anxiously waiting to move into the city and i did. Long Island isn't for the young but for the older generation who has been here for years to escape the city. I personally don't see the benefits of living on long island id rather live in a nice part of Queens or Brooklyn. Maybe my view point will change after i have children ....
lol

Old 09-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
My parents are still here in Plainview with an empty nest. The streets are beautifully maintained and tree-lined. They didn't make over 6 figures at any point and they're still here. We don't make anywhere near $250k and will be living here in the next week. You also forgot that people have friends and family here since this is where we (and you) grew up... couple that with wanting the best environment for the kids (proximity to everything, reputation for schools), it's perfectly logical someone would want to stay. For singles, it's not ideal - of course it isn't given the financials and specific perks. But don't make it out to be doom and gloom at every turn on LI just because of a few towns / areas you've witnessed.

And I don't know about anybody else but if I live in town A, I don't much care to that level of detail what's happening in town S. It's common - doesn't every area in the nation have worse sections close by? Is the entire county or even all of LI supposed to be near perfect to avoid such comments? BTW, my wife has taken LIRR everyday - I have driven her to the station for 8 years running now... she does not complain about the service... people blow it out of proportion when something negative happens... what a surprise.
Just b/c she doesn't complain about the service doesn't mean it's good. I LOVE Long Island...but yeah the LIRR is absolutely atrocious- dirty, ill-maintained, expensive and never on time. (That wasn't the jist of the thread though).

Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 PM

225 posts, read 717,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidfromlongisland View Post
The future of Long Island is not pretty! I find it extremely hard to believe that recent college graduates, young professionals, and young families will raise their children here if they have other options. Once they have the opportunity to leave this Island they are out of here! There is absolutely nothing that attracts young educated professionals other then the beach. Long Beach is really the only positive...but that is not enough to save LI-For the most part it still fails to attract a large number white collar professionals--the majority of individuals in their 20s are teachers, cops, etc. that work on long island.

Why would anyone not married choose Long Island over Manhattan? Why would would any raise a family in LI over Westchester? Unless you wanted to live on water. IT is so obvious to me how much Long Island has deteriorated over the past 10 years. The past few years truly does amaze me! Most of Nassau is an extension of Queens--I have seen it for a long time coming.

No trees, services suck, parks & streets are horrible maintained. In my opinion a lower class of people are moving-in by the truck loads. NHP, Valley Stream, Lynbrook, Mineola, Baldwin are not the only towns. Some how floral park has be able to survive (only south of Jericho though). The North Shore is not immune either-Great Neck is clearly not what it once was! Just drive through 5 towns & Oceanside. Changes within the past 10 years and our taxes continue rise.

I was always amazed how much my beloved-ed Long Island changed every time I came home from school...The majority of Nassau is not aesthetically pleasing unless you are able pull in over 250k. I know I am not the only one who notices how dumpy everything looks?

For the money you pay in taxes, all the reductions in serivces. LIRR is horrible! Can the MTA do anything right. I mean Gov't? Please people vote and get these people out office. Seriously, Why would anyone live here? The only explanation that is logical is reason if you wanted to be on the water. I would rather drive 40 minutes that live and raise a family here. Everyone I come into contact with shares my opinion. I haven't even touched upon on the schools, attitude, and culture aspect either--everything is on the decline. I wouldn't pick LI when its compared to its counterparts-Westchester, Nothern NJ, Conn Suburbs...I think I would even pick Rockland over LI. Even though the commute to the city sucks.

Thank God I moved to the City! I am certain LI will be on the bottom of my list to raise a family. I have already convinced my parents to sell their home and get the hell out! Why would anyone stay here once their kids are done with school? It truly is unfortunate that our elected officials (vote every incumbent out of office) do not understand basic economics and the importance of attracting young professionals and families. Taxes, School Budgets are out of control! Your return on investment (town services, neighborhood, quliaty of the house, no improvements in public transportation) is why Long Island is tredning down on the list for young white collar professionals looking to start a family. This is why there will be no middle class on long island in 10 years. LI has peaked. The rest of the Middle Class towns in Nassau will continue to be absorbed by Queens and Mcmansions. Watch out Eastern Nassau and the rest of the South Shore you will look like Elmont and Valley Stream in 10-15 years. . I know I am not the only one who believes. Everyone from home agrees with me one this (unless they were a waste or commuted to College--still in a bubble). Good Luck trying to find buyers in 10 years.

WHO ELSE AGREES WITH ME?!?

Alright, so I'm guessing everyone here that is responding is probably old enough to be our parents and they don't understand how hard it is for people in their 20's to start out on their own.

I clearly understand what your saying. I'm 25 and I'm stuck living at home because as much as I try to save and save, it seems like I will never have a fighting chance to make it on LI. I can't afford to live on my own despite my marketing coordinator's NYC salary.

I wouldn't necessarily say that LI is changing and turning into a sh*thole, but it's becoming way too costly for people to live here. The cost of property, taxes, transportation, you name it, is sky rocketing and making it an unrealistic area for people to move to unless you're making a six figure salary. You're right--the middle class IS diminishing.

Seems like all of my friends from high school and college that went out of state for school, stayed out of state and it just seems like they're better off. They have jobs and they either rent or are in the process of owning their first home. I just feel like that's an unattainable dream for me living in this area.

I have a great job that I love and see a lot of potential growth in, which is why I couldn't leave, but at the same time, everything around us is going up cost wise except our salaries. It's sad, but it's almost like people our age are being pushed out of our homes (out of NY) in order to make it and that shouldn't be. We don't stand a chance.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,816,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
lol

Kew Gardens, Forrest Hills in Queens and Marine Park,Bay Ridge in Brooklyn just to name a few areas.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,923 times
I cant wait to get out of here. I haved lived here (Nassau) (Queens) my whole life , and i really starting to hate it here. Lets face it ,this place is gross. i am making the move to Knoxville Tenn . Why would i want to pay 500,000 for a dump. I know all the islanders are quick to say "ya crazy" but lets be real its true. people here are , lets just say SLOBS. if you think this place is a nice place to live you really need to travel. good luck New york i have to say i wont miss you at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island