Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 PM

45 posts, read 94,912 times

Advertisements

Long Island on the whole is beautiful. So many great towns, close to NYC, nice beaches and of course the ocean but all of this comes with a hefty price tag. I was born and raised on LI. 5 years ago at the age of 33 I decided to move to PA. I left behind a life time of friends and all of my family. And I consider my move to be one of the best decisions I have ever made. The quality of life I can now provide for my family far outweighs everything else. If you don’t like where you live then move. It’s that simple. Complaining will not help any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Default too many LI haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidfromlongisland View Post
The future of Long Island is not pretty! I find it extremely hard to believe that recent college graduates, young professionals, and young families will raise their children here if they have other options. Once they have the opportunity to leave this Island they are out of here! There is absolutely nothing that attracts young educated professionals other then the beach. Long Beach is really the only positive...but that is not enough to save LI-For the most part it still fails to attract a large number white collar professionals--the majority of individuals in their 20s are teachers, cops, etc. that work on long island.

Why would anyone not married choose Long Island over Manhattan? Why would would any raise a family in LI over Westchester? Unless you wanted to live on water. IT is so obvious to me how much Long Island has deteriorated over the past 10 years. The past few years truly does amaze me! Most of Nassau is an extension of Queens--I have seen it for a long time coming.

No trees, services suck, parks & streets are horrible maintained. In my opinion a lower class of people are moving-in by the truck loads. NHP, Valley Stream, Lynbrook, Mineola, Baldwin are not the only towns. Some how floral park has be able to survive (only south of Jericho though). The North Shore is not immune either-Great Neck is clearly not what it once was! Just drive through 5 towns & Oceanside. Changes within the past 10 years and our taxes continue rise.

I was always amazed how much my beloved-ed Long Island changed every time I came home from school...The majority of Nassau is not aesthetically pleasing unless you are able pull in over 250k. I know I am not the only one who notices how dumpy everything looks?

For the money you pay in taxes, all the reductions in serivces. LIRR is horrible! Can the MTA do anything right. I mean Gov't? Please people vote and get these people out office. Seriously, Why would anyone live here? The only explanation that is logical is reason if you wanted to be on the water. I would rather drive 40 minutes that live and raise a family here. Everyone I come into contact with shares my opinion. I haven't even touched upon on the schools, attitude, and culture aspect either--everything is on the decline. I wouldn't pick LI when its compared to its counterparts-Westchester, Nothern NJ, Conn Suburbs...I think I would even pick Rockland over LI. Even though the commute to the city sucks.

Thank God I moved to the City! I am certain LI will be on the bottom of my list to raise a family. I have already convinced my parents to sell their home and get the hell out! Why would anyone stay here once their kids are done with school? It truly is unfortunate that our elected officials (vote every incumbent out of office) do not understand basic economics and the importance of attracting young professionals and families. Taxes, School Budgets are out of control! Your return on investment (town services, neighborhood, quliaty of the house, no improvements in public transportation) is why Long Island is tredning down on the list for young white collar professionals looking to start a family. This is why there will be no middle class on long island in 10 years. LI has peaked. The rest of the Middle Class towns in Nassau will continue to be absorbed by Queens and Mcmansions. Watch out Eastern Nassau and the rest of the South Shore you will look like Elmont and Valley Stream in 10-15 years. . I know I am not the only one who believes. Everyone from home agrees with me one this (unless they were a waste or commuted to College--still in a bubble). Good Luck trying to find buyers in 10 years.

WHO ELSE AGREES WITH ME?!?
I can't agree with you, but I can relate to what you are going through. I sense some bitterness in your writing but you have a right to be. I notice though that most of the people that can't swing it here, end up bitter and LI-haters (when in actuality they really want to live here) How you are making it in the city but not able to afford LI is questionable, I don't buy it. (unless you are in Rent-Controlled apt or you are in harlem), there's no way you are paying less than LI. So we all know that's BS.

As for western nassau and even up to uniondale, it is morphing into queens. But there are still beautiful areas to live, I guess you didn't look around.
To each his own; I couldn't be happier living here. Neighborhood is beautiful, parks are excellent, beach is 5 minutes away, NYC is close, the weather is excellent 10 months of the year (I like it warm mild to cool, not scorching hot and nasty like the South), great food, convenience is better than anywhere I have seen in my lifetime. I've visited about 12 states with at least 3 days stay.

I have seen scorpions, massive unbearable heat, mudslides, snakes, houses with no grass or entire neighborhoods with dead grass because of water scarcity issues, horrid droughts, people's garbage piling up for weeks coz sanitation depts come once a month. etc...it ain't very pretty in most places. These are mostly in the Southeast and southwest.. other secluded areas you have to drive 15 minutes through dangerous roads to get a gallon of milk. Imagine if you had an intruder, NCPD is there in minutes. I can't imagine having a serious emergency living in the poconos or a secluded area like that. Not too mention the many gangs and extreme poverty that infiltrates low COL areas (Suffolk is the perfect example, you wan't cheap, I can show you 50k houses in Wyandanch, Brentwood and other parts of Suffolk).

It's not a fantasy dream land everywhere cost of living is low. There's a reason the COL is low, because you get very little back. Nassau taxes are not bad for the services we get (the education dept is milking us, but county taxes are fair)

It's just not the same living elsewhere (from my experience). Even the job market on LI. You make considerably more here and unemployment has to be at a low digit for most of LI. And to top it all off, you don't have to worry about your kids coming out of high school calling iraq, "the iraq".

Last edited by Pequaman; 09-01-2010 at 10:30 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 04:35 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,103,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I can't agree with you, but I can relate to what you are going through. I sense some bitterness in your writing but you have a right to be. I notice though that most of the people that can't swing it here, end up bitter and LI-haters (when in actuality they really want to live here) How you are making it in the city but not able to afford LI is questionable, I don't buy it. (unless you are in Rent-Controlled apt or you are in harlem), there's no way you are paying less than LI. So we all know that's BS.

As for western nassau and even up to uniondale, it is morphing into queens. But there are still beautiful areas to live, I guess you didn't look around.
To each his own; I couldn't be happier living here. Neighborhood is beautiful, parks are excellent, beach is 5 minutes away, NYC is close, the weather is excellent 10 months of the year (I like it warm mild to cool, not scorching hot and nasty like the South), great food, convenience is better than anywhere I have seen in my lifetime. I've visited about 12 states with at least 3 days stay.

I have seen scorpions, massive unbearable heat, mudslides, snakes, houses with no grass or entire neighborhoods with dead grass because of water scarcity issues, horrid droughts, people's garbage piling up for weeks coz sanitation depts come once a month. etc...it ain't very pretty in most places. These are mostly in the Southeast and southwest.. other secluded areas you have to drive 15 minutes through dangerous roads to get a gallon of milk. Imagine if you had an intruder, NCPD is there in minutes. I can't imagine having a serious emergency living in the poconos or a secluded area like that. Not too mention the many gangs and extreme poverty that infiltrates low COL areas (Suffolk is the perfect example, you wan't cheap, I can show you 50k houses in Wyandanch, Brentwood and other parts of Suffolk).

It's not a fantasy dream land everywhere cost of living is low. There's a reason the COL is low, because you get very little back. Nassau taxes are not bad for the services we get (the education dept is milking us, but county taxes are fair)

It's just not the same living elsewhere (from my experience). Even the job market on LI. You make considerably more here and unemployment has to be at a low digit for most of LI. And to top it all off, you don't have to worry about your kids coming out of high school calling iraq, "the iraq".
Spot on

One of the best posts I have read in a LONG time. You perfectly sum up why so many of us would never be willing to leave Long Island.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,300 times
We grew up on L.I. and moved to CT a few years ago simply because for what we got here in terms of a house, our mortgage would be double on L.I. Only thing that gets me mad about L.I when I go back (about once a month) is the traffic...it has definitely gotten worse over the past 5 years.

L.I. is still a great place, it has it all, beaches, culture, best restaurants, parks, etc etc and all in close proximity to NYC.

Someone at 24 has his/her opinions, but will see things different as they get older I'm sure. Grew up in Massapequa, my parents are still there, it is a great town, always was always will be.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:40 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
Alright, so I'm guessing everyone here that is responding is probably old enough to be our parents and they don't understand how hard it is for people in their 20's to start out on their own.

I clearly understand what your saying. I'm 25 and I'm stuck living at home because as much as I try to save and save, it seems like I will never have a fighting chance to make it on LI. I can't afford to live on my own despite my marketing coordinator's NYC salary.

I wouldn't necessarily say that LI is changing and turning into a sh*thole, but it's becoming way too costly for people to live here. The cost of property, taxes, transportation, you name it, is sky rocketing and making it an unrealistic area for people to move to unless you're making a six figure salary. You're right--the middle class IS diminishing.

Seems like all of my friends from high school and college that went out of state for school, stayed out of state and it just seems like they're better off. They have jobs and they either rent or are in the process of owning their first home. I just feel like that's an unattainable dream for me living in this area.

I have a great job that I love and see a lot of potential growth in, which is why I couldn't leave, but at the same time, everything around us is going up cost wise except our salaries. It's sad, but it's almost like people our age are being pushed out of our homes (out of NY) in order to make it and that shouldn't be. We don't stand a chance.
I'm not so sure we were any different when we bought our 1st place at 25 while under parents' shelter. I hope it's no big secret that you need dual incomes to live here comfortably. I know it's not recommended by many that you buy while un-married but we went ahead with it since we were together 4 years already and were engaged shortly after... only you really know your significant other so it's a judgment call. At any rate, what I'm getting at is it's not impossible to afford starter houses together in your mid-20s. You mentioned you're living with parents and that's the best financial move, after college... that's when you (and your SO) can save most of your pennies in order to put money down toward your 1st place rather than blowing it on rent money you'll never see again... or even spending it frivolously like so many with their first jobs and new-found income do. You don't need 6 figures by yourself (what are singles doing with 3 bedroom houses anyway?)...

Really what is the difference between now and when we did it in '02? Perhaps it's more difficult to find jobs out of school now due to competition. I know home prices are the same now as they were for us back then. Salaries haven't declined. If you're employed and had been saving already, it's not impossible for couples to find their first home in the 300s.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-02-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
Kew Gardens, Forrest Hills in Queens and Marine Park,Bay Ridge in Brooklyn just to name a few areas.
ok but would you want to send your kids to school in those areas? Not to mention, something being said for having a backyard for your kids to play and run around in. Nice areas, perhaps, ideal for raising kids, hardly. I think when you have kids your views will change.

I don't have kids either but I'm not much of an urban person. Love being able to BBQ in the yard and that sort of thing.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I'm not so sure we were any different when we bought our 1st place at 25 while under parents' shelter. I hope it's no big secret that you need dual incomes to live here comfortably. I know it's not recommended by many that you buy while un-married but we went ahead with it since we were together 4 years already and were engaged shortly after... only you really know your significant other so it's a judgment call. At any rate, what I'm getting at is it's not impossible to afford starter houses together in your mid-20s. You mentioned you're living with parents and that's the best financial move, after college... that's when you (and your SO) can save most of your pennies in order to put money down toward your 1st place rather than blowing it on rent money you'll never see again... or even spending it frivolously like so many with their first jobs and new-found income do. You don't need 6 figures by yourself (what are singles doing with 3 bedroom houses anyway?)...

Really what is the difference between now and when we did it in '02? Perhaps it's more difficult to find jobs out of school now due to competition. I know home prices are the same now as they were for us back then. Salaries haven't declined. If you're employed and had been saving already, it's not impossible for couples to find their first home in the 300s.
ya know, I beg to differ on this. I don't live in the lap of luxury or anything...but for a young single professional I live just fine. I bought a home...albeit a small studio apartment, and I do all the things I want to do and still have $$ to pay my bills. It's all about living within your means. I didn't go out and buy a $500k house...I bought what was in my budget. If you budget yourself properly and work with what you've got coming in, you can do just fine on your own if you have money saved up and you make a decent salary.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:34 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,628 times
I like LI for many, many reasons and won't bother to post any of them. We've been house hunting in Suffolk Co (a huge portion of LI it doesn't seem like the OP has had any experience being in, BTW!) for over two years now, and at the open houses we've gone to over all that time I have to say that probably 98% of the people we've seen who are also at the open houses are young couples. So, they're definitely not ALL leaving.

However, that being said. A very weird coincidence just happened to me about five minutes ago while I was reading this very thread. My DH walked into the room to read something out of a Stony Brook University publication. And, it's completely relevant to this thread. It backs up the OP's thoughts on young people leaving LI. It's an excerpt from Stony Brook University's new president's inaugural address which he gave in 10/09: "Between 2000 and 2008 LI lost 146,000 people between the ages of 25-44" So, evidently, a lot of people do agree with the OP! Hey, maybe it won't be so crowded for the rest of us if they all keep leaving. And, I still think it's so weird that DH came in with that exactly while I was reading this thread!!! Spooky!

I know there's lots not to like on LI. When I come back from our winter place in Naples, FL it takes me 2 weeks to get used to the filth here. But I do grow to embrace it, because I still like it here far better than in La La land, but I sway off topic....... Sometimes I wonder besides all the negatives of LI if the "people leaving LI thing" isn't due in part to the fact that it's been so much "built out" for a long time now. If the average family has two or more children and their parents stay in their own houses, that means an average of 2 more houses would be needed here to house the 25-44 year olds if they stay on the Island, too. Multiply that by all the established families on LI and you have to ask yourself really, where are all these additional houses supposed to come from even taking into consideration the normal amount of empty houses left after deaths and people retiring off LI. Perhaps that's part of the reason LI housing is so expensive, maybe it's a simple supply and demand situation. Just a thought.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:47 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
ya know, I beg to differ on this. I don't live in the lap of luxury or anything...but for a young single professional I live just fine. I bought a home...albeit a small studio apartment, and I do all the things I want to do and still have $$ to pay my bills. It's all about living within your means. I didn't go out and buy a $500k house...I bought what was in my budget. If you budget yourself properly and work with what you've got coming in, you can do just fine on your own if you have money saved up and you make a decent salary.
^ yeah I was talking about houses... where they can grow a family, etc. Obviously the guy wouldn't be talking about 6 figures if he was just looking for a singles' place.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ yeah I was talking about houses... where they can grow a family, etc. Obviously the guy wouldn't be talking about 6 figures if he was just looking for a singles' place.
There was a family in my place before I bought it. It can be done if people are willing to compromise their lifestyles. Everyone says LI is too expensive yet no one is willing to take a loook @ their lifestyle and make sacrifices. You don't need to own 2 motorcycles or a BMW or have a gym membership. It's not about house or apartment, cardboard box or mansion...it's about lifestyle changes if needed and budgetting.

Not all apartments are small. There are some affordable condos that are very nice that have 2 or 3 bedrooms. A house just may not be an option for this couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island