Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 AM

22 posts, read 104,993 times

Advertisements

After the Licensed Heating company fixed the furnace on 12/2/2010 and Health Department confirmed they got heat in the house, 5 days later, the tenant called DSS again said no heat, DSS called me and let a message that they are going to stop the check because the tenants have no heat. my tenants came from W.Babylon homeless shelter and moved in June 1, 2010 to my newly remodeled house. since then they always late to pay their rent. (DSS pay partial, Tenants pay partial). they open a second hand store on my property. they are selling BBQ equipments, Bicycles and gas tanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 11:14 AM

Why most landlord don't want DSS renters. because just a few of them brings bad reputation for section 8. section 8 and DSS is helping low income family. like my tenant said" I grow up in wyandanch. I knew the system better than you do, you mother F." and he was cursing in front of his children.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:35 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
I also have a dss tenant. She has been there for 3 years. As a landlord, I have bent over backwards for her meanwhile, she has never ever paid her portion on time. Now she owes me over $1000 as the state lowered her benefit.
Her lease is up on dec 31st, she has already gotten the 30 day notice and I know she will probably not move out. I would never ever ever again do this. While people think landlors are horrible, just walk a mile in my shoes. Whenever she is late and I sue her, she magically can come up with the rent at the courthouse. But yet I am the bad guy and have been told by her I am the worst landlord ever.

Yeah right.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:39 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
This is why I will never, ever become a landlord again. And I strongly advise people who are thinking about trying it to stay away from landlording. It's nothing more than a huge headache.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 PM

My tenant came from W.Babylon Homeless Shelter. like he said that he knew the system. he damaged the furnace and using illegal heat. as a Landlord must supply the heating system. Health Department officials physically went done there 2 times. 12/2/2010, 12/10/2010, and on 12/13/2010 met my husband, and heating company fixed the furnace. The furnace was working when they left. The plumbers went there 3 times, the last visit was 12/11/2010 Saturday and told him “please don’t keep touching the switches, just let it run” The furnace was working when they left. every time cost to sent heating company to check. but I kept all the invoice and health department reports ready for the court.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Make sure when they started not paying their portion, you should start the eviction immediately. don't wish that you can get paid. my tenant didn't pay me since Oct.1, at that time they have no excuse to complain " NO Heat in the house". I hold 2 month security deposit. after pay the attorney fee and heating contractor, I still lose.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:03 PM

I feel your pain. As a landlord, i got a phone call(screaming into the phone) telling me the heat wasnt working and they didnt know why.

Well amazing did you actually know that the heat wont work unless the thermostats are on the wall ; both were mysteriously gone!! Over $200 later out of my pocket, It works.

Its amazing that the stove actually worked after I fixed the element on the 3 year old stove. With these dss tenants, nothing is their fault and they never ever have money to fix anything that they trash. But they always have money for beer, cigs and yes, even taxis.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:20 PM

My tenant told me she gets $1000/each kid from CPS every month because she is on disability payment by SSI she is very strong and healthy looking to me. She has 4 kids. So why her kids didn’t go to school every time when my husband and I went there. Sometime we only see the 12 years old boy left alone at home, both their parents are not home(because we tried to collect rent every month since they move in, we drove there 2 or 3 time at beginning of the month). Their kids age are 15, 12,10 and 8. Also on 11/18/2010 when the police went there, my husband saw her kid stay at home, include yesterday when Health Department went there too. I believe the DSS should investigate the kids get proper education if DSS pays for their parents. They deserve a reliable parents to get them a stable life and a proper education which I have been paying $5,720/ year property tax to support the school in Wyandanch School district.
Mrs. Davidson Family receives
SSI for Mrs. Davidson $697/month disability payment ( she is very strong and Healthy looking)
DSS 1472/month
Mr. Davidson get a check beginning of every month.
$1000/each Child ( 4 children)
Free Medicare
Food stamp
Plus Mr. and Mrs. Davidson are making cash income and selling goods out my rental property.
they haven't pay me since Oct 1, 2010 for their partial. Hope they will be evicted on Jan 4. the court date is.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 AM

I get it. Our tenant is the same. She has 5 kids ranging from ages 6 to 16. No dh at all ; kids are by two different fathers.

I dont know how much money she gets from the county but I was getting $1428. She was supposed to pay 128 a month. Then in Sept the county decreased her benefit to $1097. She was supposed to pay $503. I havent gotten it since November. Sept she paid $470. The local church paid $503 for October. She has had received the 30 days notice and next week i will file the court papers. Her lease is up on Friday ; think she will be out!! I dont think so.Oh she also gets medicare, heat(oil), food stamps, etc and probably taxis wherever she wants.

It really is a disgrace. And yet we are the bad landlords. I put a brand new stove in for her when she moved in 3 years ago ; she broke the element two months ago and I had to replace it as she didnt have the money.
But yet there are always beer cans around etc. Everyone says oh the poor kids ; but you know what ; after 3 years, I am beyond caring. Its not my problem anymore. She and her family have overstayed their welcome.
Good luck with the court date. I have been told that it is taking the sherrifs 6 weeks to put up the 72 hour notice these days. But nobody knows after that when they would be evicted ; that is in Suffolk County. So basically she will have at least 6 more weeks of living rent free. Oh yes ; also becareful ; at the court date, your tenant may have the back rent ; mine always did that.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:58 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Why does ANYONE rent to these skells on public assistance?

It's always the SAME OLD STORY.

They won't pay their piddling little share (if any).

They destroy the property.

It takes $$$$ to get rid of them to the point where once you evict them and they don't move YOU have to pay to put all their precious belongings in a storage facility.

The problem with these skells is this: They never have to earn their keep and they think they are ENTITLED to be handed everything. They have no idea of the value of money. To them life is a free-for-all. How does anyone THINK they are going to behave in a rental property?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island