Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,660 times

Advertisements

Hello. My wife and I are moving to the island April 1st and are looking to rent a home (can't buy because of possible job movement). She is expecting our first child in August so I'm trying to figure the safest/nicest place we can live for under $3000/mth in rent. We are early 30's, white, and would like to be in a place that is somewhat convenient to North Hills for my work but more importantly a place where we can start a healthy/happy family. It seems there are so many pockets of great places with less desireable places intermixed and it makes looking tough for someone like me with limited knowledge of the area.

Would love to hear some frank and honest opinions......

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 PM

32 posts, read 90,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdobss View Post
Hello. My wife and I are moving to the island April 1st and are looking to rent a home (can't buy because of possible job movement). She is expecting our first child in August so I'm trying to figure the safest/nicest place we can live for under $3000/mth in rent. We are early 30's, white, and would like to be in a place that is somewhat convenient to North Hills for my work but more importantly a place where we can start a healthy/happy family. It seems there are so many pockets of great places with less desireable places intermixed and it makes looking tough for someone like me with limited knowledge of the area.

Thanks!!!!
West Hempstead is a great place or Huntington Station

If you really want to be safe a peaceful in longisland and you can afford a three-thousand-dollar-apartment then you should try the meadowbrook pointe in Garden City, New York it's really nice there.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:47 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiermx View Post
If you really want to be safe a peaceful in longisland and you can afford a three-thousand-dollar-apartment then you should try the meadowbrook pointe in Garden City, New York it's really nice there.
Meadowbrook Pointe is in East Garden City ("Westbury, NY11590" mailing address)

Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,709 times
Quote:

Thanks!!!!
North Hills is real nice with perfect nearby areas, close to LIE and NSP, and real close to the City.

Check MLSLI.com for home rentals in or near Manhasset, Roslyn, or anywhere close and we can help you more. I think it may fit in your budget, but not sure.

All good around your work location, and with a child on the way, keep your commute time short; you'll be tired enough.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:54 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:

Thanks!!!!
Welcome to Long Island :-))

The closest areas to North Hills where you could find rentals in that price range are Port Washington and Roslyn Heights.
Port Washington Schools or Roslyn Schools...

Old 02-09-2011, 07:57 PM

177 posts, read 470,969 times
Dix Hills is an amazing place. Close to everything and great schools!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default MLSLI.com

If you use the MLSLI.com, please be aware that oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

For example, North Hills is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name as part of their mailing address: places in the Village of North Hills have a "Roslyn, NY 11576", "Roslyn Heights, NY 11577", "Albertson, NY 11507", "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" and "Manhasset, NY 11030" mailing address.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:55 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I believe Meadowbrook Pointe is 55 and over - not positive.

If you could find a rental in Stewart Manor I think you'd like it - small town feel, convenient to North Hills, shopping and transportation nearby. Has a great close-knit small town feel.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:52 AM

400 posts, read 761,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I believe Meadowbrook Pointe is 55 and over - not positive.

If you could find a rental in Stewart Manor I think you'd like it - small town feel, convenient to North Hills, shopping and transportation nearby. Has a great close-knit small town feel.
I guessit depends on how close you want to be to north hills... Dix Hills is pretty far.. meaning in rush hour traffic it might take you 40 mins to get to work... if its clear, 20-25 mins..

You probably want to look in the following areas if your looking for less than 5 minutes to work...

North Hills (Some nice condo developments here acorn ponds, imperial gardens etc..) you could probably rent a 2 bdrm with 2 car garage for around 3k

Manhasset -- Some places like georgetown commons and there are some smaller rentals near the train station on plandome road.

Great Neck -- Lots of rentals here.. 2 bedrooms in a building will probably run around 2200-2500 maybe.. but parking is extra if you get it This is about a 10 minute commute to north hills.. The area is primarily Iranian/Persian... But in the rentals there is a large mix of young professionals... 23 minute ride to city on Train...

Albertson -- Not really sure about any rentals here, but you may find a house..

Williston Park, New Hyde Park, Mineola... All pretty close to north hills, but the community is different... very compressed...

Garden City -- There are some garden apartment near the mineola train station... I personally think they are terrible.... But then again maybe they have renovated.. worth looking at....

The farther east you go, the cheaper it will be.. You may have to sacrifice commute for quality which to me would be worth it... Your decision though.. PM me if you have any questions...

Old 02-10-2011, 10:28 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,487 times
Also look into Manhasset hills, Herricks and Searingtown ( also close to Albertson). Most of the homes in these are in the Herricks school district.

Great Neck north has a sizable Iranian/Persian population, but Great Neck south has more Asian population than Persian Jews. 3K a month should get you into a nice apartment/duplex in Great Neck south ( try the village of Thomaston).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island