Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:08 PM

196 posts, read 504,518 times

Advertisements

Anytime, anywhere,,,,Folks Seriously,, I rememeber the Ol'Daz Jumpin the LIRR to hit the City to Catch the Stones At Mad Sq Garden,,,There was rampid bout of Crime just switchin trains in Jamacia,,to this Day I do not wear Leather or Fur to the City Via LIRR,,[people were geting held up and slashed for their Leather jackets],, no place is safe,,I was rid of the mentality of it can't happen to you by the age of 15. Violence 98% of the time,hits you from in your backyard,,its someone you know, then "Blink, Pop, OMG What was that" your Life, Outlook and future is never the same, not what you planned, over as you knew it. For me its 32 yrs later and not a day goes by, I don't think about it and who lost their lives. Get over the thought of It Can Never Happen to Me, It sure as Hell Can~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
... because it looks like Westbury isn't safe either ...

From Newsday mobile so everyone can read:

Cops: Westbury burglar assaulted resident

Search Result item

Now if only the victim had a gun under a pillow, he too might have had the privilege of being arrested along with the burglar.
That could be New Cassel, which is often referred to as "Westbury". I'm sick of it.
Of course we all have to be vigilant no matter where we are. Always lock your windows and doors and watch your back. And dodge anyone that looks suspicious. Sure the victim seems to lack street smarts, but everyone should be disturbed as to where and when this crime happened.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
No not any or all of them, just a greater chance of the negative happening (and you're pushing for more) and a gun is NEVER a good thing just like no good can come from drinking.

Let me understand something... say you're a CCW sitting at a fast food restaurant when one or two guys come in brandishing guns. They may ask for everyone's wallets. Do you escalate it having others potentially in the crossfire or let them leave with what they came for? Does every CCW make the same decision? Do you really want to leave that up to them?
Where are you coming up with this, OBJECTIVE please not subjective. You and Jedi seem to forget that in the past 50 years we've had numerous states expand their CCW, there will be 4 by the end of this year that will be permitless. Your also skipping ALL KNOWN DATA that has shown that armed citizens are perfectly able to defend themselves.

As far as the hypothetical situation, check out "thearmedcitizen", plenty of articles posted from news sources regarding citizens in public places or defending their homes.

Quote:
... because it looks like Westbury isn't safe either ...

From Newsday mobile so everyone can read:

Cops: Westbury burglar assaulted resident

Search Result item

Now if only the victim had a gun under a pillow, he too might have had the privilege of being arrested along with the burglar.
Nope, the robber was in his home and physically assaulting the victim.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:44 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Where are you coming up with this, OBJECTIVE please not subjective. You and Jedi seem to forget that in the past 50 years we've had numerous states expand their CCW, there will be 4 by the end of this year that will be permitless. Your also skipping ALL KNOWN DATA that has shown that armed citizens are perfectly able to defend themselves.

As far as the hypothetical situation, check out "thearmedcitizen", plenty of articles posted from news sources regarding citizens in public places or defending their homes.

Nope, the robber was in his home and physically assaulting the victim.
So, providing the gun was legally owned, if the homeowner had shot and killed (or wounded) the burglar, that would have been okay with the law?

And if the gun was not legally owned, the homeowner would have only been liable for illegal gun charges?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,753 times
Quote:
So, providing the gun was legally owned, if the homeowner had shot and killed (or wounded) the burglar, that would have been okay with the law?

And if the gun was not legally owned, the homeowner would have only been liable for illegal gun charges?
Well, if NY actually respected lawful citizens and their right to peacefully be in their homes and other places, and not be victimized like many other states that have a Castle Doctrine laws, then the homeowner would've been justified in ridding the world of the criminal scum that decided the laws didn't apply to them, and wanted to enter the house in order to murder, rape, steal, rob, etc.

Unless the person was a convicted felon ( I even have my doubts about this law ), that said person should have been able to own a firearm per the USC.

It's too bad that NY decides that the USC doesn't apply to it's residents. The state has been defecating on the 2nd Amendment rights of it's citizens for far to long, and hopefully gun owners rights will have their day in court.

What's going on in NY ( and in other anti-gun, liberal states ) is nothing more than discrimination.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:34 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Well, if NY actually respected lawful citizens and their right to peacefully be in their homes and other places, and not be victimized like many other states that have a Castle Doctrine laws, then the homeowner would've been justified in ridding the world of the criminal scum that decided the laws didn't apply to them, and wanted to enter the house in order to murder, rape, steal, rob, etc.

Unless the person was a convicted felon ( I even have my doubts about this law ), that said person should have been able to own a firearm per the USC.

It's too bad that NY decides that the USC doesn't apply to it's residents. The state has been defecating on the 2nd Amendment rights of it's citizens for far to long, and hopefully gun owners rights will have their day in court.

What's going on in NY ( and in other anti-gun, liberal states ) is nothing more than discrimination.
So is this the roundabout way of saying Silverbullet is incorrect?

Old 03-11-2011, 10:41 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
So is this the roundabout way of saying Silverbullet is incorrect?
Nope, I am correct. The homeowner has the ability to prevent force from being used against him, and NY is not a totally communist like Ma where you have a duty to retreat. As such, the homeowner is justified in the use of force as soon as physical violence has begun.

For simple robbery you cannot use deadly force, but can prevent loss of property (Stupid law).

You cannot shoot someone attempting to flee unless they are carrying the fight, ie shooting as they are leaving etc.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,772 times
Quote:
I would be wondering how perfect strangers to me, one of whom started chatting with me while I was waiting at a bus stop, had coincidentally also kidnapped my husband. Think about it.

Anyone in a public place, ESPECIALLY on a busy street in broad daylight, should scream and run away from a criminal with a weapon instead of allowing the criminal to take them somewhere private where the victim would be in even more danger. Even when it comes to a gun. Run in a zig zag motion to make it harder for them to hit you ... provided they would even bother discharging the firearm and the added attention the sound of it makes because they have to have YOU and no other victim ... most criminals would rather just run away themselves and find an easier victim at another place and time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN1WxSITwWw

Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 PM

172 posts, read 718,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
This is the crime happening on LI, 11AM broad daylight robbery at a bus stop right by the train station in Hicksville.
Cops: Duo Rob Woman in Fake Kidnapping | Long Island Press

Go live in a cave where there is no one around but yourself. There are crimes committed EVERYWHERE!!!! Posts like this make me sick. you should go back making your stupid airplane noise videos.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,156 times
Default I love East street school area-North Hicksville

We have been here for five years and my kids play outside with no problems. We walk our dog and play at the school playground, its really a beautiful area which is nice for children and elderly. We have a great block near Pine and Cedar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island