Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:12 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times

Advertisements

This is the crime happening on LI, 11AM broad daylight robbery at a bus stop right by the train station in Hicksville.
Cops: Duo Rob Woman in Fake Kidnapping | Long Island Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Carry. Haha. In NY? "Guns are icky" Who cares if they save lives, NY doesn't want them in the hands of us normal people.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:42 AM

87 posts, read 270,473 times
Which neighborhood is safe?

What would you've done with a gun? Kidnap them, threaten them?

A new scam, along with a new sucker is born every minute..

Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Not for anything, JIW, but it sounds like the victim was a real dope. You have to be pretty dopey to fall for that.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
If I were you, I would carry.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:19 AM

929 posts, read 2,068,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Not for anything, JIW, but it sounds like the victim was a real dope. You have to be pretty dopey to fall for that.
Someone meets you at your car, points a knife in your back, and says they have kidnapped your son. What would be your response? Nu-uh!

A person with a knife in my back could ask for money for any reason. I'm going to give it to them!

You point a gun in my face and try to hijack my car, and I'm going to ask you what station you want the radio on.

It's not worth your life! Plus, that's what we have the esteemed NCPD crime lab for. They can take fingerprints and photos from the bank cameras to find these scum bags.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:25 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
Someone meets you at your car, points a knife in your back, and says they have kidnapped your son. What would be your response? Nu-uh!

A person with a knife in my back could ask for money for any reason. I'm going to give it to them!

You point a gun in my face and try to hijack my car, and I'm going to ask you what station you want the radio on.

It's not worth your life! Plus, that's what we have the esteemed NCPD crime lab for. They can take fingerprints and photos from the bank cameras to find these scum bags.
I would be wondering how perfect strangers to me, one of whom started chatting with me while I was waiting at a bus stop, had coincidentally also kidnapped my husband. Think about it.

Anyone in a public place, ESPECIALLY on a busy street in broad daylight, should scream and run away from a criminal with a weapon instead of allowing the criminal to take them somewhere private where the victim would be in even more danger. Even when it comes to a gun. Run in a zig zag motion to make it harder for them to hit you ... provided they would even bother discharging the firearm and the added attention the sound of it makes because they have to have YOU and no other victim ... most criminals would rather just run away themselves and find an easier victim at another place and time.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Anyone in a public place, ESPECIALLY on a busy street in broad daylight, should scream and run away from a criminal with a weapon instead of allowing the criminal to take them somewhere private where the victim would be in even more danger. Even when it comes to a gun. Run in a zig zag motion to make it harder for them to hit you ... provided they would even bother discharging the firearm and the added attention the sound of it makes because they have to have YOU and no other victim ... most criminals would rather just run away themselves and find an easier victim at another place and time.
ITA - I never understand why someone VOLUNTARILY goes somewhere with someone...why? so your dead body can never be found? I've told my kids, anyone threatens you with a gun, etc, just run. They are not going to shoot at you. and if they do, at least you have a chance of survival and being found.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post

Am I armed at this time, or not? Its one thing for someone to get the drop on you legitimately its another to have the chance for defense and not be able to do so because of the screwed up laws in NY.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 PM

81 posts, read 197,343 times
. There is crime everywhere, but on LI the political elite would rather have you die, or be killed by an MS-13 member rather than protecting you and your family. I am all giddy today..conceal carry legislation is coming to Illionios as it makes its way through the Illinois state legislature!

Concealed-carry bill advances in Illinois Legislature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island