Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 07:07 PM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Did it?

Seems speculative...no?

They couldnt shoot hm in the leg? Its a skinny little kid with a knife?

Crooks
Yeah, shoot him in the leg so he still has the ability to slash your throat with another lunge.

Sorry Crooks, but shooting in the legs is for the movies. Cops are trained to shoot center mass. Do you even know how hard it would be to shoot someone in the leg while they're moving? Much easier to shoot for the largest object:the torso. We'd have a lot more dead cops if they just shot random wackos in the leg.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:16 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
And we appreciate the over-the-top concern (a little creepy btw) you have for pequa, but no, there is no occult activity going on here that's specific to our area that's any different from the few goth/satan-loving young adults youll find at any other town. I'm sure even RP has its branch..a lot of the suspect's friends were from allover LI and throughout the country. This was an isolated incident, the BSO undercover officer was there watching Peter King's office which is about 4 blocks away in the village.
Totally agree, there's no "satanist scene" or something like that in Massapequa or any other towns for that matter... kids like this exist everywhere, albeit in extremely small numbers. Their "turf" seems to mainly be THE INTERNET, not any specific location.

Also, I'm really not an expert on this at all (I did just spend about 20 minutes reading about it on Wikipedia, though!) - but I'm pretty sure most of the kids you'll see walking around that look vaguely similar to what Anthony DiGeronimo looked like are goths, which is a style of clothing/music/etc. and not Satanists, which is either an ideology or religion... apparently there are several different kinds of Satanism.

That said, I don't necessarily think DiGeronimo getting dressed up in his weird garb and scaring people in his neighborhood had anything to do with satanic beliefs or rituals... in fact I don't know if he really held any beliefs like that or if it was just another outlet for his fascination with rebelling against normalcy, for lack of a better term. I spent a good amount of time trying to make sense of his blog to see if there were any clues that he was suicidal or was planning on violently terrorizing Massapequa Park and that's all I could get from it - that this kid just wanted to freak people out and had his own very unique philosophy on the world. To be honest, I don't completely understand it... but I understand enough to believe he was entirely harmless and probably the "good kid" his father claims.

Crooks - This whole culture/imagery/whatever seems incredibly stupid, strange, pointless and scary to me too - but it's just a weird kid being weird in an isolated incident that unfortunately went way too far. Think of what people must have thought of the Sex Pistols back when they first came out. They had a very similar mission statement to this kid, just a slightly different aesthetic!

I do completely agree that two people tragically died who did not need to, however if DiGeronimo was actually lunging towards police officers with knives, those police officers are not at fault for shooting him. Should they have even been in the house? That we'll have to wait and see when more details come out... but the "shoot him in the leg" thing has been covered already and according to Newsday, NCPD officers do not carry tazers so that option is out too. Apparently "supervisors" do? Maybe that's why there were so many radio calls for a supervisor to come down to the scene.

Also - according to James Carver (Nassau PBA president), the retired NYPD officer who was there and allegedly shouted "he has a gun!" is known for listening to the police scanner and showing up to crime scenes trying to offer unwanted assistance. He wasn't a neighbor, although I do think it said he lives in Massapequa. Nobody called him in and anyone can go buy a scanner at Radio Shack to listen to the police frequencies. As per the reports, he arrived there either before or right around the same time as the first 7th Precinct officers... if that's the case I think that could have greatly accelerated the initial chaos, although again - fuzzy details and we won't know for sure until they all come out.

Like Pequa said, BSO officers were in the area because Peter King's office is right around the block and there have been protests outside against the Muslim Extremist hearings. MTA officers were in the area because the DiGeronimo house is across the street from the LIRR tracks and not far from the Massapequa Park station... although according to Carver, they shouldn't have been there either. I don't know if he's right or not, and have no opinion on it - but that's what he says!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,743 times
the retired NYPD ESU SGT. who was there and allegedly shouted "he has a gun!" had his nassau county pistol permit revoked !! I will also assume he turned his gun in to NCPD or give it to someone who is licensed ...To those who don't understand ,when you retire as a police officer you have to get a pistol permit in NY to carry ...

Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,412 times
The days of listening to the NCPD on a scanner will soon be over. They are currently installing a radio system that is encripted and will not be able to be monitored.

I do listen to the cops (from my home) and at first I thought the encription was a bad idea, in light of the current events I have changed my mind. Someone in Nassau was thinking ahead, just did not happen soon enough.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
NCPD looking like a bunch of a--holes again. Seriously, everyone involved with the events that occurred that night will be reliving this in their dreams for the rest of their lives but no, the NCPD just can't let it be and accept the fact that this was a tragic accident that any LEO could have made. They demand someone, anyone be held accountable even though nobody did anything criminal. They can't go after the MTA cop who pulled the trigger so they demand that the DA go after the retired NYPD cop.

How the heck was the retired NYPD cop supposed to know Officer Brietkopf was a cop when he had no badge in sight, no raid jacket, no nothing and was walking around with an M4 carbine 15 minutes after the suspect was already dead? He did what ANYONE would have done by shouting the presence of a gun on a possible suspect.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:04 PM

290 posts, read 583,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
NCPD looking like a bunch of a--holes again. Seriously, everyone involved with the events that occurred that night will be reliving this in their dreams for the rest of their lives but no, the NCPD just can't let it be and accept the fact that this was a tragic accident that any LEO could have made. They demand someone, anyone be held accountable even though nobody did anything criminal. They can't go after the MTA cop who pulled the trigger so they demand that the DA go after the retired NYPD cop.

How the heck was the retired NYPD cop supposed to know Officer Brietkopf was a cop when he had no badge in sight, no raid jacket, no nothing and was walking around with an M4 carbine 15 minutes after the suspect was already dead? He did what ANYONE would have done by shouting the presence of a gun on a possible suspect.
In case you missed it, it's called an investigation. The ENTIRE event is being looked at to see *IF* there are any criminal charges to be levied. Not WHEN* -- but if. So, rather than insult several thousand people, why not wait & see what happens?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I agree with LIC, officers that shot him did nothing wrong. Crooks you even said you would do the same thing in a previous post? Nothing wrong with this, tasers could fail, aiming for the leg is silly...

You're wrong here IMO. Gun vs knife happens all the time
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ots+knife&aq=f

And we appreciate the over-the-top concern (a little creepy btw) you have for pequa, but no, there is no occult activity going on here that's specific to our area that's any different from the few goth/satan-loving young adults youll find at any other town. I'm sure even RP has its branch..a lot of the suspect's friends were from allover LI and throughout the country. This was an isolated incident, the BSO undercover officer was there watching Peter King's office which is about 4 blocks away in the village.
Not concern, perhaps a morbid curiosity since "Satin Lives" but the Peter Kng explanation makes perfect sense. I could see how he's hated.

Crooks

Old 03-19-2011, 07:49 AM

999 posts, read 2,358,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It would be normal for people walking around holding m4 carbines? What kind of bizarro video game/Old West hybrid type of world do you want to live in, anyway?
Why would it be abnormal, maybe they're car is broken.
What makes it a bad thing.
kids walking with baseball bats must frighten you and make you think insane things

does it matter what particular rifle it was..... it was on a strap, over his back, deadly end down...

If i am going to the range or hunting and i walk down my driveway... 60' or more with my guns....
I deserve to be shot at, or in anyway be criminalized.. Have some asinine jerk off yell gun, and someone take a shot at me....

No one pointed and yelled for him to get down, stop, hands out, a jerk off yelled GUN!!!! turn, point, bang... oh yeah, awesome, dman that is wild west, just point and shoot...

However, parts of NY it is not out of place to see a gun in plain site, not against the law for me to have my guns in plain site in my car or truck, not against the law for me to take them to the range or gun shop... Maybe they don't like to drive... You would want that guy shot and killed....

Do to stupidity and a retired Moderator cut: language removed yelling GUN, which when another cop YELLS gun, it means someone is pointing or HOLDING a gun in a ready position....

STUPID, and that retired officer should have f'in nightmares...... every 30 minutes.

I hate when people are retarded, do you know what brandishing a weapon is....

IT IS NOT walking with it.

Brandishing is when i take my gun and point it in your face, or use it as the threat...

It is not against the law to have a legal gun in public, in this day and age it'll add to the amount of time to get to the range if i were to walk with it on my back.... or i'll just get shot with no warning...

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-19-2011 at 12:57 PM..

Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 AM

338 posts, read 777,799 times
well, i was in town at the barber shop in massapequa park and it still was the talk of the place. they all pretty much agreed that the mta officer and the retired officer shouldnt have been there.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:14 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequadude View Post
well, i was in town at the barber shop in massapequa park and it still was the talk of the place. they all pretty much agreed that the mta officer and the retired officer shouldnt have been there.
Should have been there or not, the officer pulling the trigger did not act according to proper firearms training. In order for me to shoot someone in defense I need to prove that I felt threatened, having a rifle slung to my back may put me on defense but I'll be having a lifetime to myself if I pulled the trigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island