Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times

Advertisements

I'm still holding Peter King and his drain on the taxpayers and NCPD resources accountable for this tragedy.

If he was able to keep his moron, teabag, racist, Moderator cut: language removed
shut, no one would be out stalking that enormous empty noggin on Da Riv and the BSO couldve probably stayed home.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/02/...radical-islam/
All that I ask is that hes excluded from any movie rights.

Crooks

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-21-2011 at 06:43 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 07:40 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Thanks for posting that - although I think applied to this situation it confuses things even further.

From the Newsday article today, it seems that the 7th Precinct officers - before pursuing DiGeronimo into the house, spoke with his parents at some length... with DiGeronimo's father even first attempting to get him to come out of his bedroom. That would indicate that the officers were aware no one in the home was in danger and that the suspect could not easily flee the scene... although if they were allowed into the home by the family in the first place, doesn't that make it not a "pursuit" situation at all (I don't know)? I can't imagine, from the events prior to this that actually did transpire, that they believed a felony had been committed, but then again it's unclear exactly what was said on the 911 calls and then relayed from the dispatcher.

This part of the story interests me because I feel like this is something that happens all the time without incident. I'm certainly not blaming the responding officers, it just seems incredibly strange the way things transpired... and unfortunately I think a lot of the initial details will get buried under the other horrible tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You bring out a lot of interesting nuances here.

Nowhere has it been written that this young man was mentally ill though.

I did not read his Facebook page. Did it look like the rantings of a mentally ill person? Usually their writing outs them pretty well.

He was undoubtedly immature. 21 years old and jumping out at people in a costume and mask? Not understanding the impact of brandishing knives at the people he jumped out at? Not understanding what the consequences could be for his behavior, which appeared sinister to the people he accosted? Yes, definitely immature. IF he was also mentally ill, his family might bring a lawsuit based on that (how Eleanor Bumpurs' family won $200K after she was killed by the police). Otherwise, we may never know if he was or not.
The writings looked like they came from someone who was intelligent yet at the same time engrossed so deeply in non-traditional culture and philosophy that they were difficult to read not having any real reference point. I don't think he was mentally ill as in bipolar or schizophrenic, but it appears that he may have effectively isolated himself from mainstream values and social norms to the point where he really didn't understand the consequence of what he was doing. Is that a mental illness? Maybe. I don't know what the DSM-IV would classify it as. Possibly just "developmentally delayed" as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I'm still holding Peter King and his drain on the taxpayers and NCPD resources accountable for this tragedy.

If he was able to keep his moron, teabag, racist, Moderator cut: language removed
shut, no one would be out stalking that enormous empty noggin on Da Riv and the BSO couldve probably stayed home.

Demonstrations Held Outside Rep. Peter King's Massapequa Park Office Ahead Of Hearings On Radical IslamCBS New York
All that I ask is that hes excluded from any movie rights.

Crooks
The Newsday article today changed the story to the BSO officers being "on robbery detail at a neighboring precinct" - I don't know exactly what that means, although I'm assuming it means they were somewhere in the 8th Precinct. All the earlier reports had them at Peter King's offices, which are right around the block...

Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Thanks for posting that - although I think applied to this situation it confuses things even further.

From the Newsday article today, it seems that the 7th Precinct officers - before pursuing DiGeronimo into the house, spoke with his parents at some length... with DiGeronimo's father even first attempting to get him to come out of his bedroom. That would indicate that the officers were aware no one in the home was in danger and that the suspect could not easily flee the scene... although if they were allowed into the home by the family in the first place, doesn't that make it not a "pursuit" situation at all (I don't know)? I can't imagine, from the events prior to this that actually did transpire, that they believed a felony had been committed, but then again it's unclear exactly what was said on the 911 calls and then relayed from the dispatcher.

This part of the story interests me because I feel like this is something that happens all the time without incident. I'm certainly not blaming the responding officers, it just seems incredibly strange the way things transpired... and unfortunately I think a lot of the initial details will get buried under the other horrible tragedy.

The writings looked like they came from someone who was intelligent yet at the same time engrossed so deeply in non-traditional culture and philosophy that they were difficult to read not having any real reference point. I don't think he was mentally ill as in bipolar or schizophrenic, but it appears that he may have effectively isolated himself from mainstream values and social norms to the point where he really didn't understand the consequence of what he was doing. Is that a mental illness? Maybe. I don't know what the DSM-IV would classify it as. Possibly just "developmentally delayed" as well.

The Newsday article today changed the story to the BSO officers being "on robbery detail at a neighboring precinct" - I don't know exactly what that means, although I'm assuming it means they were somewhere in the 8th Precinct. All the earlier reports had them at Peter King's offices, which are right around the block...
Precisely Sean

We all know dead cops = bad politics.

Kings a pig and shame on Newsday for caving.
Here comes the spin.

Crooks

Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Precisely Sean

Here comes the spin.

Crooks

Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Precisely Sean

Here comes the spin.

Crooks
No. I think it's a pretty big stretch to try to assign any kind of blame to King for this awful tragedy. It makes no sense at all. In the coming months, as the various agencies perform their own investigations, I'm sure there will be plenty of "things gone wrong/procedure not adequately followed/too much adrenaline/etc." to fill a handbook. Dragging in King's name is a waste of time.

When all is said and done, this was a case of a troubled young man with inadequate supervision and/or lack of intervention on the part of his parents.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
No. I think it's a pretty big stretch to try to assign any kind of blame to King for this awful tragedy. It makes no sense at all. In the coming months, as the various agencies perform their own investigations, I'm sure there will be plenty of "things gone wrong/procedure not adequately followed/too much adrenaline/etc." to fill a handbook. Dragging in King's name is a waste of time.

When all is said and done, this was a case of a troubled young man with inadequate supervision and/or lack of intervention on the part of his parents.
I disagree.

There's a karmic price for bad behavior.
It a shame it was paid by the innocent.

Crooks

Old 03-22-2011, 12:38 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You bring out a lot of interesting nuances here.

Nowhere has it been written that this young man was mentally ill though.

I did not read his Facebook page. Did it look like the rantings of a mentally ill person? Usually their writing outs them pretty well.

He was undoubtedly immature. 21 years old and jumping out at people in a costume and mask? Not understanding the impact of brandishing knives at the people he jumped out at? Not understanding what the consequences could be for his behavior, which appeared sinister to the people he accosted? Yes, definitely immature. IF he was also mentally ill, his family might bring a lawsuit based on that (how Eleanor Bumpurs' family won $200K after she was killed by the police). Otherwise, we may never know if he was or not.
I posted this down below too: it might not be mentioned in any of teh coverage on this case, but he fits the definition of sociopath and Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) to a tee
Sociopath | Define Sociopath at Dictionary.com

Take a look at his facebook page.. there's a lot of posts there he makes where he's talking and replying to himself over and over again. Mostly incoherent posts. And on one of the other sites he was on, a few of the people that knew him posted after he was shot that "they thought he was disturbed and didn't know what was "bothering" him. I'm not making him out to be an angel, but judging from the collective info on him, IMHO, he seems harmless...or his intention was not to harm anyone that night. I wanna hear more from the dad and possibly any psychologists (if he went to any during his life) on his son.

Quote:

This part interests me too. It seems like there are multiple tragedies here, but this one (Anthony being cornered and shot in his home) probably could've been the most avoidable -- and would've changed the entire outcome of the night if the officers had secured the premises and waited for a supervisor to show up at the scene.

Crooks is going off on a tangent/derailing by focusing so much on peter king..that is irrelevant if the BSO officers were there, or in another precinct on some special assignment.

Quote:
My take on this from what I've read on his facebook and the type of "prank"/crimes he committed, I would say he fell into some type of mental illness. He fits the definition of sociopath and Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) to a tee
Sociopath | Define Sociopath at Dictionary.com

And these type of illnesses, AFAIK, are never cut-n-dry..a person can have traits from various types of illnesses, without being classified as scitzo or bi-polar, major depression, sociopath, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
The part from that link: "Hot pursuit is one such exigent circumstance. It usually applies when the police are pursuing a suspected felon into private premises or have probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed on private premises."

I don't know if this incident falls into a "fresh or hot pursuit".. definitely questionable. Was a felony committed? No crimes were committed on premises and no one else was in danger in the house; plus the suspect had no real chance at fleeing at that point. I'd like to know what the father told the officers that entered the house. I'm not saying they were out of blood or we're living in a fascist/totalitarian "police-state" or anything like that... but this probably could've gone down differently, starting at the point where the officers followed Anthony and entered the residence.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:38 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post

I agree. Blaming King?

Unfortunately, some people are obsessed with Massapequa and "cover ups".

Old 03-22-2011, 06:25 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Trying to fit this event into a "hot pursuit" is off the mark. This is not a case of the right to enter and make an arrest in someone's home. Police Officers have the right -- and responsibility -- to enter any home (or any other building) at any time if they believe that someone's life or safety are in danger (including the subject with the knives.) Period. This was clearly the case in this incident. The "hot pursuit" issue is only relevant to arrest or seizure of evidence without a warrant.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I agree. Blaming King?

Unfortunately, some people are obsessed with Massapequa and "cover ups".
Its simple cause and affect my friend.To consider otherwise is disingenuous and to watch the back pedal in the media is vile.Its very,very clear why the BSO was dispatched to the area in the first place.

Obviously King's a simple reflection of his Massapequa constituency who are quickly rushing to his defense and denying any wrongdoing.

I as well believe in accountability.I'm sure the community will pull itself up by bootstraps and move on as soon as we have some answers.

You too should be obsessed, youre witnessing a travesty of justice.

Did King orchestrate the shooting? of course not. Was he indirectly part of this chain of dysfunction?
Perhaps.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island