Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Its simple cause and affect my friend.To consider otherwise is disingenuous and to watch the back pedal in the media is vile.Its very,very clear why the BSO was dispatched to the area in the first place.

Obviously King's a simple reflection of his Massapequa constituency who are quickly rushing to his defense and denying any wrongdoing.

I as well believe in accountability.I'm sure the community will pull itself up by bootstraps and move on as soon as we have some answers.

You too should be obsessed, youre witnessing a travesty of justice.

Did King orchestrate the shooting? of course not. Was he indirectly part of this chain of dysfunction?
Perhaps.

Crooks
or maybe satan did it?

"The community will pull itself up by the bootstraps..." what does that even mean?

I prefer to wait until all of the facts come out.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Trying to fit this event into a "hot pursuit" is off the mark. This is not a case of the right to enter and make an arrest in someone's home. Police Officers have the right -- and responsibility -- to enter any home (or any other building) at any time if they believe that someone's life or safety are in danger (including the subject with the knives.) Period. This was clearly the case in this incident. The "hot pursuit" issue is only relevant to arrest or seizure of evidence without a warrant.
Thank you for taking the time to clarify this. I, like so many, get the bulk of my knowledge of crime investigation from the TV. When you initially hear the term "hot pursuit" my TV-filled mind pictures the suspect racing into the house with a couple of cops chasing him/her in a mad dash, kicking down the door, guns raised, going room to room shouting "clear!" - and in this case, getting the parents out of the house.

Your explanation brings it back to reality and also provides the definition of hot pursuit - i.e. being permitted under the law to enter a private residence without the requirement of a warrant.

That part of this case always troubled me. I had envisioned a couple of cops chasing this guy into his house, tossing his parents out, a lot of loud voices increasing the drama and tension and really escalating a bad situation. From another poster quoting a Newsday story, the cops talked to the parents, had the parents talk to the son (the right thing to do) and only then had the parents leave the house.

Again, only the people that were there that unforunate night - and now the team investigating the entire event - knows what really happened. But from a personal point of view, I am relieved that the arriving officers talked to the parents and had them try to reason with their son. I'm also happy to have this television viewpoint of "hot pursuit" spelled out clearly by pdcnret as being something far different (and calmer) then what I originally thought.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Precisely Sean

We all know dead cops = bad politics.

Kings a pig and shame on Newsday for caving.
Here comes the spin.

Crooks
Do you know something more that Newsday is leaving out?

As for whether the slain officer and his partner were at King's office or on a robbery detail in the next precinct over:

Could it possibly be that the early reports of them at King's office were simply incorrect and now the correct facts are coming out?

For example, when this incident was first reported, Newsday said Anthony DiGeronimo was 27 years old instead of 21.

Mistakes often happen in early, rushed reporting.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:22 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I posted this down below too: it might not be mentioned in any of teh coverage on this case, but he fits the definition of sociopath and Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) to a tee
Sociopath | Define Sociopath at Dictionary.com

Take a look at his facebook page.. there's a lot of posts there he makes where he's talking and replying to himself over and over again. Mostly incoherent posts. And on one of the other sites he was on, a few of the people that knew him posted after he was shot that "they thought he was disturbed and didn't know what was "bothering" him. I'm not making him out to be an angel, but judging from the collective info on him, IMHO, he seems harmless...or his intention was not to harm anyone that night. I wanna hear more from the dad and possibly any psychologists (if he went to any during his life) on his son.

This part interests me too. It seems like there are multiple tragedies here, but this one (Anthony being cornered and shot in his home) probably could've been the most avoidable -- and would've changed the entire outcome of the night if the officers had secured the premises and waited for a supervisor to show up at the scene.

Crooks is going off on a tangent/derailing by focusing so much on peter king..that is irrelevant if the BSO officers were there, or in another precinct on some special assignment.

My take on this from what I've read on his facebook and the type of "prank"/crimes he committed, I would say he fell into some type of mental illness. He fits the definition of sociopath and Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) to a tee
Sociopath | Define Sociopath at Dictionary.com

And these type of illnesses, AFAIK, are never cut-n-dry..a person can have traits from various types of illnesses, without being classified as scitzo or bi-polar, major depression, sociopath, etc..

The part from that link: "Hot pursuit is one such exigent circumstance. It usually applies when the police are pursuing a suspected felon into private premises or have probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed on private premises."

I don't know if this incident falls into a "fresh or hot pursuit".. definitely questionable. Was a felony committed? No crimes were committed on premises and no one else was in danger in the house; plus the suspect had no real chance at fleeing at that point. I'd like to know what the father told the officers that entered the house. I'm not saying they were out of blood or we're living in a fascist/totalitarian "police-state" or anything like that... but this probably could've gone down differently, starting at the point where the officers followed Anthony and entered the residence.
Being a sociopath or having an anti-social personality disorder is not what is commonly considered mental illness because these are not disabling conditions. You can't get on SSI for being a sociopath. It's more like they are negative personality traits.

Was Anthony DiGeronimo basically harmless? Well, judging by what he actually did, although he had knives, he did not STAB anyone he had access to, so he was not specifically out to hurt anyone, just to frighten them. While that is certainly not a nice thing to do, the fact remains that he didn't actually harm anyone. Unfortunately, his appearance and actions gave a really, really good "impression" of someone who IS on a rampage and out to harm other people and he ending up paying the ultimate price for it.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you know something more that Newsday is leaving out?

As for whether the slain officer and his partner were at King's office or on a robbery detail in the next precinct over:

Could it possibly be that the early reports of them at King's office were simply incorrect and now the correct facts are coming out?

For example, when this incident was first reported, Newsday said Anthony DiGeronimo was 27 years old instead of 21.

Mistakes often happen in early, rushed reporting.
Seems a little suspect but you could be right.All we really know is that theyre are two dead as a result of the shootings in Massapequa Park.

Is it the Ret. NYPD Shire Reeve O' Pequa shouting Fire in a crowded movie house?

It it Peter King?

It it Satan?

I trust none of what I'm hearing (nor should you)but I do believe theres plenty of room for cover up.
Cause and effect. Karmic?

Perhaps we'll never really know.
All I know is that no one needed to die here.

Crooks

Old 03-22-2011, 01:24 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Its simple cause and affect my friend.To consider otherwise is disingenuous and to watch the back pedal in the media is vile.Its very,very clear why the BSO was dispatched to the area in the first place.

Obviously King's a simple reflection of his Massapequa constituency who are quickly rushing to his defense and denying any wrongdoing.

I as well believe in accountability.I'm sure the community will pull itself up by bootstraps and move on as soon as we have some answers.

You too should be obsessed, youre witnessing a travesty of justice.

Did King orchestrate the shooting? of course not. Was he indirectly part of this chain of dysfunction?
Perhaps.

Crooks

I don't think its fair to tie King into this. And I am saying this as someone who absolutely detests that scumbag. His views are repugnant, he is a bigot and a massive embarrassment to Long Island, he takes his last name WAYYYYY to seriously, but I haven't seen anything to connected him to this. By trying to connect King to this, with little or no evidence I think you wind up doing a disservice to those who really want to see that pile of garbage out of Washington, those who campaign against him and speak out against him.

The amount of things King can and should be criticized for is miles long and completely off the charts, but I do't see any evidence that this is one of them.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:15 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,412 times
Quote:
Perhaps.

Crooks
Then so was the stuck Elevator that had the MTA Cops in the area in the first place, If the MTA properly maintained the elevators this never would have happened.

Sound stupid, It should

Old 03-22-2011, 05:33 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post

"The community will pull itself up by the bootstraps..." what does that even mean?
The black helicopters are coming. Better break out the tin foil helmets.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 PM

338 posts, read 777,799 times
king is a good guy. I worked for him and he is trying to do something no one else dares to accomplish. we are war and it is impossible to find the ememies because our laws protect them more than us. if america bombed another country and we had americans living in thier country, you bet that thier country will do anything they wanted to them.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequadude View Post
king is a good guy. I worked for him and he is trying to do something no one else dares to accomplish. we are war and it is impossible to find the ememies because our laws protect them more than us. if america bombed another country and we had americans living in thier country, you bet that thier country will do anything they wanted to them.
agreed. King has the intestinal fortitude to bring the problem front and center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island