Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 12:23 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times

Advertisements

The WMATA Metro has its share of problems, one of them being that it is a subway system that doesn't know whether it wants to be a commuter rail. It is a beautiful, clean, safe system (very little crime), but it has become overtaxed by the tremendous population growth in the area. It also has funding issues, as Virginia, Maryland, and the District can't seem to agree on the best way to obtain public funding for it. That said, it is a much more enjoyable ride than the NYC subway, even when it's packed. For starters, the stations don't smell like urine.

The better comparison between rails would be between MARC in Maryland/VRE in Virginia and the LIRR, and I would have to say that the LIRR wins simply because it doesn't shut down overnight, midday, or on the weekends. Despite train breakdowns--which happen everywhere and really, be glad you don't live in India or Russia with that--the LIRR is, IMO, the best commuter rail I've ever traveled. The seats are comfortable, the lines themselves were laid out very well, and given its workload, the system has held up extremely well from generation to generation. I actually enjoy riding the train (as long as I remember my Zune). I just wouldn't want to do it every day from Ronkonkoma, simply because of the distance and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:37 PM

168 posts, read 314,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I just wouldn't want to do it every day from Ronkonkoma, simply because of the distance and time.
Yea...it beats driving in from there during rush hour but sometimes I wish there were LESS stops lol. Gotta catch the express, about an hour into Penn and you can tell if they added the extra tracks and fixed the jamaica crawl that would probably improve a bit as well.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:51 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
WMATA is the authority that controls all Subway/buses for the DC Metro. Sort of like the MTA in NYC. Commuter rail in Virginia is provided by VRE (Virginia Railway Express) and in Maryland by MARC (Maryland Area Regional Commuter)
I am wrong, I knew there was a commuter rail outfit down there, forgot it was VRE, andMARC

Old 07-15-2011, 05:25 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I am wrong, I knew there was a commuter rail outfit down there, forgot it was VRE, andMARC
No problem who can keep all the abreviations straight...

Old 07-15-2011, 06:41 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well the LIRR is paradise compared to LI Bus. I sure hope it gets better when it's privatized.
bahahahahahaha

deep breath

bhahahahahahahaha

Edit: Mass transit costs money - tax money. It's not a profitable enterprise, it's a public service just like garbage collection. If you want better service, you have to be willing to pay for it.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
bahahahahahaha

deep breath

bhahahahahahahaha

Edit: Mass transit costs money - tax money. It's not a profitable enterprise, it's a public service just like garbage collection. If you want better service, you have to be willing to pay for it.
Roads are not profitable , Infastrature is not supposed to be profitable unless Tolled....or special user fees are added to drivers like in Europe in Asia.... But in a General sense Roads , Railways , Buses and water lines are not supposed to turn profit....

Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 AM

Freight does!, no other form of transportation will ever, with the exception of TBTA bridges & tunnels, those are overtolled so support the rest of the MTA

Old 07-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Freight does!, no other form of transportation will ever, with the exception of TBTA bridges & tunnels, those are overtolled so support the rest of the MTA
Some Freight does , but most Freight does not turn a profit....they use the bigger lines to prop up the smaller lines.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Some Freight does , but most Freight does not turn a profit....they use the bigger lines to prop up the smaller lines.
That is true, but the gains do outweigh the losses overall, as opposed to passenger rail, where even the NEC (Amtrak) which does make money, doesnt not support the rest of the system.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
That is true, but the gains do outweigh the losses overall, as opposed to passenger rail, where even the NEC (Amtrak) which does make money, doesnt not support the rest of the system.
Amtrak is Intercity Rail , and a few other lines like the Keystone , Downstate , California system and Northwest breakeven...its the long distance lines that don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island