Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 06:21 AM

6 posts, read 21,350 times

Advertisements

The problem in Strathmore is all of the genuis investors that purchase and rent to thrash. Strathmore does not rent, investors do without an ounce of discretion. Shame on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 06:28 AM

And on the subject of school districts. If your kid is an idiot(you parents know), it does'nt matter what school district your kid is in. And to all the sorry parents that do all of their kids homework. Great Job!

Old 07-03-2010, 06:58 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,771,244 times
I learned a long time ago in my final year at SUNY Binghamton, the school districts on Long Island, all provide an excellent education. The larger the better, Sachem has a wide selection of AP programs, Roosevelt has far fewer. It depends on the motivation of the student and parents on how well that student will perform in their particular school district. I went to Hauppauge, the Val. of my year at Binghamton went to CI. He was the one who pointed this out to me. Every elite program that Hauppauge has is provided at CI. In the end it all comes down to perception.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I learned a long time ago in my final year at SUNY Binghamton, the school districts on Long Island, all provide an excellent education. The larger the better, Sachem has a wide selection of AP programs, Roosevelt has far fewer. It depends on the motivation of the student and parents on how well that student will perform in their particular school district. I went to Hauppauge, the Val. of my year at Binghamton went to CI. He was the one who pointed this out to me. Every elite program that Hauppauge has is provided at CI. In the end it all comes down to perception.
Thank you for a very educated response. As the proud parent of 2 Longwood students 1 3rd grader and 1 10th grade honor student it means alot. I grew up in Brookyln and attended public schools from K to 12 and I work along side some of the native islanders making the same money, doing the same job. It's all in the parenting. Magic teachers and school districts don't exist. I'm tired of the longwood bashing already. Some people are under the impression that longwood teachers show up to work not to teach(false). Some kids including those with terrible parents are not receptive to teaching or anything an adult has to say. If they don't respect their parents any other adult on the planet is susceptible to their lack of respect.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:04 PM

I can't believe all of the delusional people on Long Island. Answer this question. Why are a great majority of valedictorians not from the Island or the U.S ?

Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
Because in districts like Sachem your stuck in the extremes or nothing at all. If your in the top 10% or the bottom 10% you can do great, have wonderful learning experiences, and can recieve the best benefits from the district. The middle people basically get lost in the shuffle.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:23 AM

Uh Silver, and your point being? What you said is typical of 95% of the school disticts in the US. My point was that most LI school districts have the top programs that will provide the student the best education to do well in any elite college in the world. What is really important is the motivation of the student and the input of the parents. If you have a kid who would rather spend his time watching TV, talking on a cell phone to his friends all day, playing video games all night, even the so-called best schools will not help him. Once again, unless it's a SD like Roosevelt which is small, underfunded and corrupt. The majority of SD on LI have the best tools and it's up to the student and the parents to seek out those tools for a fine education.

BTW, IMHO Roosevelt SD should be disolved and those students sent to neighboring SD. This however is the biggest fear of the Merrick SD. If future Roosevelt resident are seen attending Merrick schools, Merrick SD will be perceived as a bad SD. It all comes down to perception.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:21 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Default A map of the Roosevelt Union Free School District

Quote:
BTW, IMHO Roosevelt SD should be disolved and those students sent to neighboring SD. This however is the biggest fear of the Merrick SD. If future Roosevelt resident are seen attending Merrick schools, Merrick SD will be perceived as a bad SD. It all comes down to perception.
A map of the Roosevelt Union Free School District:
Attached Thumbnails
What's wrong with Ridge???-rooseveltufsd.gif  

Old 07-11-2010, 09:38 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
Uh Silver, and your point being? What you said is typical of 95% of the school disticts in the US. My point was that most LI school districts have the top programs that will provide the student the best education to do well in any elite college in the world. What is really important is the motivation of the student and the input of the parents. If you have a kid who would rather spend his time watching TV, talking on a cell phone to his friends all day, playing video games all night, even the so-called best schools will not help him. Once again, unless it's a SD like Roosevelt which is small, underfunded and corrupt. The majority of SD on LI have the best tools and it's up to the student and the parents to seek out those tools for a fine education.

No, I wasn't talking about unmotivated students. I was talking about teacher time and effort put into the kids in the middle and the programs they can academically take advantage of vs. the top/bottom tiers. Smaller districts have less of the disparity IMHO.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:43 PM

OK I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island