Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 02:56 PM

12 posts, read 48,287 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a condo or townhouse and there are sooooo many available units in Ridge. Is there anything bad about Ridge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 03:38 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pealow View Post
I'm looking for a condo or townhouse and there are sooooo many available units in Ridge. Is there anything bad about Ridge?
Theres nothing wrong with Ridge.
There are parts that are beautiful.

However Strathmore Ridge is no good
Crack/Meth and unfotunately Hookers.

Otherwise Ridge is fine.
We almost bought there....still would.
(We just preferred the Schools in Rocky Point)

Id hold out for a Small house in Panamoka (Kelly can give you some good insight)of if you can stretch a little try Sound Beach/Rocky Point.

Rocky Point has some cheap Co-ops by the High School that are nice.
I think a house is always a better investment particularly in this type of market...there plenty of nice starters in Panamoka.

Best
C

Last edited by clamboy; 08-12-2007 at 04:29 PM..

Old 08-12-2007, 05:26 PM

553 posts, read 1,934,533 times
ugly hookers? just kidding LOL

Old 08-12-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
ugly hookers? just kidding LOL
Where theres crack and meth...there's hookers.

C

Old 08-12-2007, 06:32 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,540 times
Clamboy is right, Ridge is great unfortunatly that Strathmore complex has been mostly rentals(lots of section 8) for years & its a REALLY rough crowd over there, but to the best of my knowledge(I've been in Ridge 4 years) that's the only area that is truly a problem. I "know" a couple that have a condo in there that is completly renovated & they did some real quality work & they are trying to sell now as they bought out of state & They can't sell it. I think its listed for 159,000 now which is a major loss for them.
My husband & I buy investment properties but no matter how cheap those condos are I wouldn't touch them.
As for the rest of Ridge, its all pretty nice some neighborhoods nicer than others. Lake Panamoka which is in the most Eastern part of Ridge & borders Wading River is my area. Its quiet, rustic & very afforable & we have a private lake & homeowners association. You can get a modest two bedroom house that needs a little work for what you'd pay for some co-ops.
I personally would not purchase a condo or co-op in today's real estate market, things are going to get much worse before they get better & the WAY overinflated condos & co-ops on LI are going to take a huge hit IMO, you could be stuck with it for years. Just like 1989-1992....you couldn't GIVE a condo away during that time.
If you have more questions about Ridge, ask away.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Clamboy is right, Ridge is great unfortunatly that Strathmore complex has been mostly rentals(lots of section 8) for years & its a REALLY rough crowd over there, but to the best of my knowledge(I've been in Ridge 4 years) that's the only area that is truly a problem. I "know" a couple that have a condo in there that is completly renovated & they did some real quality work & they are trying to sell now as they bought out of state & They can't sell it. I think its listed for 159,000 now which is a major loss for them.
My husband & I buy investment properties but no matter how cheap those condos are I wouldn't touch them.
As for the rest of Ridge, its all pretty nice some neighborhoods nicer than others. Lake Panamoka which is in the most Eastern part of Ridge & borders Wading River is my area. Its quiet, rustic & very afforable & we have a private lake & homeowners association. You can get a modest two bedroom house that needs a little work for what you'd pay for some co-ops.
I personally would not purchase a condo or co-op in today's real estate market, things are going to get much worse before they get better & the WAY overinflated condos & co-ops on LI are going to take a huge hit IMO, you could be stuck with it for years. Just like 1989-1992....you couldn't GIVE a condo away during that time.
If you have more questions about Ridge, ask away.
Kelly is right...its very much isolated to that one area and the cops know it well.

I think Panamoka is a great place to start.

Best

C

Old 09-01-2007, 01:55 PM

6 posts, read 129,372 times
its 2 close to shirley/mastic

Old 09-01-2007, 04:20 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
Is that where Artist's Lake (what a misnomer) is?

And, as far as condos go, many many are selling in the nicer towns. North Hills, Melville, Babylon et. al.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle clark View Post
its 2 close to shirley/mastic
Not even close.

As a point of reference.
Mastic Shirley runs in reverse to the prevalent logic of LI.
The closer you get to the water the worse it gets.

Ridge is basically on the North Shore (North of Jericho Tpke) its huge and its very nice.

Artist Lake is in the Middle Island/Gordon Heights/Coram area.

Where are you at KC? Do you live near the Res?
Those pix looked like Neighborhood road.

C

Old 09-01-2007, 07:43 PM

240 posts, read 1,056,852 times
Hate to say it Clamboy but i am disgusted with Broadway in Rocky Point I drove down it today and every time i get annoyed. The Downtown revitalization there is not working and more schlock businesses keep opening. Another nail salon just what we need, and thurber lumber is expanding it's business to the Avenues property. Great, more barbed wire and stacks of wood to look at. Though it would be better than the burned out hazard that exists there now. Great job RPFD cleaning that mess up. Sorry just venting because i know you are a concerned citizen. We really need to step it up a notch now that I look at the Mastic pics and the downtown pictures don't look to far off from Broadway. I still love our town, but Broadway is truly a disgrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island