Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
In California, though, there is no concept of a private beach. All of the Pacific coastline is open to everyone.
How do you guys survive with such a barbaric system???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
And yet those people who own the beach property (Dune Rd) who will do whatever they can to prevent you walking on the shoreline by their homes are the first ones to stick their hand out for federal assistance when a major storm threatens their waterfront lifestyle.

This is very true & they often get tons of our tax money.

In California, though, there is no concept of a private beach. All of the Pacific coastline is open to everyone.
Can people freely pass between the shoreline and multi-million dollar private homes belonging to celebrities and such? Or is such activity discouraged?

Old 08-06-2011, 09:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Outside of NY/NJ the beaches are maintained, life guards are provided and there is no fees/charges to use the public beaches.

At the least tax paying residents should have a free pass for the year if their town has a public beach.
Because there are 3 million people on Long Island maybe? I have no idea what my $50 goes toward. Maybe the spray park that my kids love, maybe the 9 hole mini golf that costs $2 to play, or the dozens of workers that have to staff the lot, lifeguard stands etc, or maybe it is that I love the beach and go often.

boo hoo, $50? Seriously? I would pay more than $50 for TOBAY for the season, it is worth every cent to me. The lot has been packed all season with people that must agree. I guess we just have different views.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Because there are 3 million people on Long Island maybe? I have no idea what my $50 goes toward. Maybe the spray park that my kids love, maybe the 9 hole mini golf that costs $2 to play, or the dozens of workers that have to staff the lot, lifeguard stands etc, or maybe it is that I love the beach and go often.

boo hoo, $50? Seriously? I would pay more than $50 for TOBAY for the season, it is worth every cent to me. The lot has been packed all season with people that must agree. I guess we just have different views.
I think the point is that Nassau County has one of the highest property taxes, why would we have to pay even more for something that lower paying counties get for free. We don't even know what the money is going towards.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:35 AM

852 posts, read 1,443,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I think the point is that Nassau County has one of the highest property taxes, why would we have to pay even more for something that lower paying counties get for free. We don't even know what the money is going towards.
I think it keeps the poor people away.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I think it keeps the poor people away.
I guess we're only talking about Atlantic Beach and Long Beach now?

Old 08-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Which lower paying counties in NYS have free ocean beach access?
All NYS taxpayers subsidize the state parks. If Carol from Cohoes wants to go to JB, she's paying the same as either one of us would.

Up in Vermont there is an awesome quarry to go swimming in. There are no bathrooms, no water fountains, no port-o-johns, no lifeguards, no defined beach area, no picnic tables, no trash cans. There is a sign which reads 'Swim at Your Own Risk' inviting all to swim there while absolving the state of any liability. In short, there is no overhead/cost to the taxpayers associated with this swimming hole. Given that the population of the state is about the same as the Town of Brookhaven, there is no where near the demand on this free resource as there is on the NYS beaches. Amazingly enough, the people up there aren't slobs like many who go to public beaches in NYS. They don't leave their trash, broken chairs and general detritus behind.

If we were to make the NYS free, what do you think they are going to look like when the slobs are done for the day?

Old 08-07-2011, 02:26 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Thank you, that was my point..

Further reading of the posts seem to lean towards a "the fee keeps the undesirables out" and "our beaches would be trashed without it" Yet every other beach area in the country on both coasts survive without the NY/NJ pay up mentality.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Thank you, that was my point..

Further reading of the posts seem to lean towards a "the fee keeps the undesirables out" and "our beaches would be trashed without it" Yet every other beach area in the country on both coasts survive without the NY/NJ pay up mentality.
I thought that NYS taxes fund the state ocean beaches and state parks and not County property taxes.

I was also of the impression that my town taxes funded the town beaches (Brookhaven in my case) for which I pay nothing to use.

My stance is that taxes can only subsidize so much and that above that a fee for users should be instituted. It would be delightful to see the taxpayer subsidized SUNY system free for all taxpayers, too, but that ain't going to happen!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:12 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Which lower paying counties in NYS have free ocean beach access?
All NYS taxpayers subsidize the state parks. If Carol from Cohoes wants to go to JB, she's paying the same as either one of us would.

Up in Vermont there is an awesome quarry to go swimming in. There are no bathrooms, no water fountains, no port-o-johns, no lifeguards, no defined beach area, no picnic tables, no trash cans. There is a sign which reads 'Swim at Your Own Risk' inviting all to swim there while absolving the state of any liability. In short, there is no overhead/cost to the taxpayers associated with this swimming hole. Given that the population of the state is about the same as the Town of Brookhaven, there is no where near the demand on this free resource as there is on the NYS beaches. Amazingly enough, the people up there aren't slobs like many who go to public beaches in NYS. They don't leave their trash, broken chairs and general detritus behind.

If we were to make the NYS free, what do you think they are going to look like when the slobs are done for the day?
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island