Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
School budget votes are a scam.
No matter what you vote, they still stick it to you in the end.

I'm not as militantly against teacher salaries as I am to entitlement and fairness issues. Fine, they make 110K a year, whatever. But quit pushing the need for greed.
Cap salaries or raises at a certain rate or time period. For some of these districts, sky is the limit for salaries, it's just not fair. And basically what happens is, you end up paying the majority of your tax money for executive salaries. If you have 20 or so big shots in your district making 100k or even up to around 200k a year, that friggin adds up quick. Salaries make up over 60% of the budget for most districts. That's just silly.

Look, what makes me angry more than the yearly dollar amount is that they hold the kids over your head as collateral. "If the budget don't pass the only ones your hurting are the kids"...WHY? So it's fine for the kids to suffer, but god forbid the employees don't get a raise. It's just plain selfish and greedy.
Really, unless you are a complete and total financially irresponsible idiot, are these teachers going to end up homeless if the salaries are frozen or even partially reduced for a set period of time? I don't think so. They aint gonna go down the toilet, maybe some wont be able to put the addition on the house or get that inground pool, big deal. Times like these everybody should be willing to make some sacrifices until this country gets on it's feet again.

Are the teachers overpaid? Some yes. Some no.
Totally correct!

Totally disgusting.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:22 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Top 25 schools for production of "Girls Gone Wild" videos!
Nice! I thought I recognized you...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Default TY for the valuable link

I am actually intrigued by where it led -- the Nassau Suffolk School Boards Association -- NSSBA Home Page.

It lays out their game plans for potential tax caps, budgets, their take on the numbers, etc.

Fascinating reading.

Check out this one (Nassau County Council of School Superintendents
“A Cautionary Tale” Presentation by Dr. Herb Brown Superintendent, Oceanside UFSD):

http://www.nssba.org/Conference%20-%20A%20Cautionary%20Tale%20-%20Dr.pdf (broken link)

Interesting snippet about budgeting:

Quote:
4. And, this may me the most important – I would suggest that you budget
using a three-year time horizon. I would set up a three-year spreadsheet
and put in estimated numbers for:
· Salary Increases – If you have contracts in place for three years,
use those. If not, you can estimate increases.
· Teacher Retirement System:
2008/2009 – 7.63% of salary
2009/2010 – between 6% and 7% of salary
2010/2011 - might go as high as 12% of salary.
The retirement system has indicated it is likely that unless the
economy reverses itself, the rate for 2010/2011 will represent a
significant increase.

By laying it out for three years in this format, you will see what happens if you
apply too much fund balance in one year or use too much of your reserve funds
in one year. You will see gaps and tax levy problems three years in advance
which will give you an opportunity to change direction and prevent tax rate
increases from hitting too hard in any one year.
Notice how important the RAISES and PENSION CONTRIBUTIONS are and how they are assumed to BE THERE and are EXPECTED ON THE BALANCE SHEET FIRST. How about skipping a raise due to the economy or lowering pension contributions? Oh no!

It also looks like the taxpayers will be reamed out for ADDITIONAL percentages of pension contributions "unless the economy reverses itself."
God forbid THEY suffer any consequences of the bad economy; we should pay MORE. Yes, you heard it here, our taxes will definitely go up even more to take care of their pensions. No mercy at all on the taxpayers. No compromises. Take, take, take.

Also notice how they are advised to use a 3 year plan so they can try and fool the public by "spreading out the tax increase" (prevent tax rate increases from hitting too hard in any one year).

Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Nice! I thought I recognized you...
Please don't tell my mom and dad!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,612 times
I won't vote on this. It is clear from the question what answer you want. I'm going to just guess at what the results are.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I won't vote on this. It is clear from the question what answer you want. I'm going to just guess at what the results are.
Agreed, no need for the "Given the current economic meltdown" part.

When business was booming, did you say, "Well everybody is making a lot of money, so we should give those teachers a raise."? I doubt it.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Thread is now closed. Apparently this discussion has run its course since the posts now involve nothing but personal attacks, calling other members names and insulting each other all of which are against the Terms of Service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island