Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 05:57 PM

553 posts, read 1,935,418 times

Advertisements

I remember when LI was a diverse mix of blue- and white- collar, where the size of your house, the brand of your car, the color of your skin and the purse you have was not as important as your values and your ethics: QUOTE:

When did you grow up on long Island? where did you grow up? I am 45 years old, and I was born and raised here, I dont want to get in a pissing match with you but what are you talking about? The color of your skin always mattered on long Island,I think it is less now. Look at the island it is one of the most segregated places in the U.S.A. We all no where the black areas are the white the jewish and so on. It was always like that, I grew up in sayville and we had one black family there and everyone new, if a black person was in that town they did not "belong there". Yes people are more materialistic now but that is because we all spoil are kids, we give them because we did not have. When little Bobby gets those sneakers then little stevie wants them too. That is the same way for adults also. With the tv and computer now you get bombarded with adverts now, they cause people to buy buy buy. You tell the op to look at westchester? are you kidding that is one of the most "exclusive" places in New York. That is where you find those rich kids pissing away there college education.My son went to allbany for law and all his buddies from westchester were rich and drinking away there education, but they could care less because they were going to work for daddys company. And jersey any self respecting New Yorker would not send someone to joisey! Anyway peace and remember LI was allways racist,that is not new.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:35 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,893 times
I am your age. And yes LI was always materialistic and always was aware of color, but it has become over the top in the last 10 yrs., IMHO. Perhaps that is because there was less blurring of lines, perhaps because in our day "people stayed where they belonged"

Just what are you saying with this? "It was always like that, I grew up in sayville and we had one black family there and everyone new, if a black person was in that town they did not "belong there"." Do you embrace this attitude, or are you saying that is just the way it was? Do you subscribe to this notion today?

And I fully understand that the entire NY Metro area is based on wealth, and with it segregation-but it is the haves and have nots, as it percieved as necessary to survive. But wealth does not have to come with attitude. Westchester, like LI, is a large area, and I believe there are more areas in Westchester that have tolerance and understanding than on LI. Believe me, I grew up in, and went to college in, a sea of useless wealthy children, elietest adults, and useless parents that only cared about what others thought about them, and experienced exactly what your son did, That is why I share that perspective from "behind the door." All this jabber about the best neighborhood, the best school districts, the highest scores, the least amount of "lunch program" children ultimately comes from fear from within. Often humans must make others feel bad, or less, to make themselves feel better, or more. From an outside perspective, as I never subscribed to the notion and got the hell off the sandspit, these forum paints a very ugly picture of the residents of LI. In the last fes months it has become overwhelmed with hate and venom towards anyone who is not exactly like the way "they" think everyone should be.

And, as we are the same age, you know there was less of a divide when we were young. You had to have been to places other than Sayville! And let's not forget that we are all equal, we do not HAVE to adhere by the North Shore vs. South Shore, the Suffolk vs. Nassau, the North of 25A and South of 27. We all can get our snob on, but we do not have to. We have the power to change the future for ourselves and our children, but it is just getting worse on the spit, not any inch of better.

that is my larger point, why must this division be perpetuated? Why can't our generation see that the world is changing? Why can't we be smart enough to evolve, and not continue the "old-world" style of thinking? Heck, not long before we were kids, the Catholics were looked down on by the Prods. There wasn't a concern about blacks or Jewish folks in the clubs, the Catholics were not allowed!! Someone on the North Shotre talking to someone on the South Shore? NO WAY, they are lesser. A person from Suffolk spending time with someone from Nassau-oh NO! Now, today these examples seem silly, but the same thing is going on, it is just now divided town by town, zip code by zip code, block to block.

Frankly, I really don't care what LI'ers do to each other-my investments there were sold, reinvested and I am in much greener pastures. BUT, it saddens me to my core to see the Island continue to contract, continue on its path of social implosion.

I just think it is important for people who think LI is all that, to know the truth. And hey, what about the OP? Does that person's questions even matter in this thread anymore? I realyy do think that what they are looking for does not exist on LI, only because of the people that currently reside there and the attitudes that they are perpetuating to keep the less-worthy outside of the gates.

Peace right back at you, it is all good here, and I harbor only good intentions and hope for bright futures for the young families of today

Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,678,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
I am your age. And yes LI was always materialistic and always was aware of color, but it has become over the top in the last 10 yrs., IMHO. Perhaps that is because there was less blurring of lines, perhaps because in our day "people stayed where they belonged"

Just what are you saying with this? "It was always like that, I grew up in sayville and we had one black family there and everyone new, if a black person was in that town they did not "belong there"." Do you embrace this attitude, or are you saying that is just the way it was? Do you subscribe to this notion today?

And I fully understand that the entire NY Metro area is based on wealth, and with it segregation-but it is the haves and have nots, as it percieved as necessary to survive. But wealth does not have to come with attitude. Westchester, like LI, is a large area, and I believe there are more areas in Westchester that have tolerance and understanding than on LI. Believe me, I grew up in, and went to college in, a sea of useless wealthy children, elietest adults, and useless parents that only cared about what others thought about them, and experienced exactly what your son did, That is why I share that perspective from "behind the door." All this jabber about the best neighborhood, the best school districts, the highest scores, the least amount of "lunch program" children ultimately comes from fear from within. Often humans must make others feel bad, or less, to make themselves feel better, or more. From an outside perspective, as I never subscribed to the notion and got the hell off the sandspit, these forum paints a very ugly picture of the residents of LI. In the last fes months it has become overwhelmed with hate and venom towards anyone who is not exactly like the way "they" think everyone should be.

And, as we are the same age, you know there was less of a divide when we were young. You had to have been to places other than Sayville! And let's not forget that we are all equal, we do not HAVE to adhere by the North Shore vs. South Shore, the Suffolk vs. Nassau, the North of 25A and South of 27. We all can get our snob on, but we do not have to. We have the power to change the future for ourselves and our children, but it is just getting worse on the spit, not any inch of better.

that is my larger point, why must this division be perpetuated? Why can't our generation see that the world is changing? Why can't we be smart enough to evolve, and not continue the "old-world" style of thinking? Heck, not long before we were kids, the Catholics were looked down on by the Prods. There wasn't a concern about blacks or Jewish folks in the clubs, the Catholics were not allowed!! Someone on the North Shotre talking to someone on the South Shore? NO WAY, they are lesser. A person from Suffolk spending time with someone from Nassau-oh NO! Now, today these examples seem silly, but the same thing is going on, it is just now divided town by town, zip code by zip code, block to block.

Frankly, I really don't care what LI'ers do to each other-my investments there were sold, reinvested and I am in much greener pastures. BUT, it saddens me to my core to see the Island continue to contract, continue on its path of social implosion.

I just think it is important for people who think LI is all that, to know the truth. And hey, what about the OP? Does that person's questions even matter in this thread anymore? I realyy do think that what they are looking for does not exist on LI, only because of the people that currently reside there and the attitudes that they are perpetuating to keep the less-worthy outside of the gates.

Peace right back at you, it is all good here, and I harbor only good intentions and hope for bright futures for the young families of today
We'll put JSN

We're really just one big angry town.

Unless we can get past all this sillya$$ed FUIGM* BuIIsh1t, we will continue to be the running toilet of the Northeast.

Will someone PLEASE jiggy the handle.

C

*Fu&k You I Got Mine

Old 08-22-2007, 11:21 AM

553 posts, read 1,935,418 times
Quote:

Hello, I agree with you. I was stateing how it was not my feelings. The truth is Long Island was always like this on the race issue not poor and rich that is new. It just has gotten worse. That being said my original post to the OP was that I did not think she could rent for 1300 a month in a good school district. Lets face it the better districts are where there is money, with that comes other problems of course. I do know what your saying about people thinking they are better than you , that runs rampant here. I have looked myself ,into leaving and I found alot of places do not like New Yorkers. someday I will leave, when my youngest graduates 6 years from now, but I will not sit and be miserable untill then LI still has alot to offer, although alot I cant access because I dont have certain town permits.LOL I have read the same as you, there is old school thinking here but it comes from everyone, every race and religion . Did you ever travel south they are still living in civil war times. So that thinking is other places also. Oh one more thing growing up we had plenty of free lunch kids, half of my friends had it , no one cared . I Imagine now it is different because I know the town I grew up in has turned very snobby they think there sh** dont stink.I have to laugh every time I go there because I grew up in Sayville by the water my dad worked in the city in a wharehouse and bought our house for 12000. alot of the people worked on the bay clamming, boy has that changed. One of my friends was poor but his mom rented a house across from the bay, could you imagine that, waking up walking out the door and looking at the great south bay, only the wealthy get to do that or original owners. Anyway peace and I am glad you are happy now , but dont lump all of us together there are some good people here.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,893 times
I know that NY, and I hoped and hoped you it was not your feeling-I did not think it was I do not want to lump all LI, which is why I called out the pervasive attitude that drenchs this board in the last 6 months. I also in no way am saying that these problems exist only on LI, but am again trying to provide balance and a view of what this board makes it look like.

Your comments "Oh one more thing growing up we had plenty of free lunch kids, half of my friends had it , no one cared ." "my dad worked in the city in a wharehouse and bought our house for 12000. alot of the people worked on the bay clamming, boy has that changed. One of my friends was poor but his mom rented a house across from the bay" is EXACTLY what I was saying in my other post. I too remember not every child held a silver spoon and drove a benz, I too remember the clammers, the lobstermen, the blue-collar fathers and stay-at-home Moms. I remember when all of us could exist together-there may have been complaining behind closed-doors byt the wealthy folks, but externally everyone was working hard and making a living. Not so today-it is blatent, and hurtful, and ugly.

Believe me, if LI was like it was when we were kids, I would probably still live there, despite the expense, because the aura and environment would be more pleasant. I too refused to sit and be miserable, which is why we left.

I just wanted to give the OP some balance, a chance to understand that not ALL LI'ers are represented in this forum, but much truth is being shown regarding the current climate-which can give one a glimpse of the future.

I wish you luck, hang in there, hopefully the market will turn around by the time you are ready and you can leave with piece of mind, and cash in the bank

Old 08-24-2007, 08:23 AM

5 posts, read 21,091 times
want a good education, get the heck out NY and move to the NorthWest, yes we our nails and hair done here too...

Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 AM

95 posts, read 206,933 times
Quote:
<Snip>
Great post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Perhaps new classes are in order.

Upper class: Open minded, well educated, and worldly
Middle class: Self aware, open minded
Lower class: Ignorant, bigoted people trapped in their own little world

No matter how wealthy you are, you can someone wind up in my lower class.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:39 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,953 times
"Why They Hate Us

by Joseph Sobran From Sobran's Newsletter, April 1997

Western man towers over the rest of the world in ways so
large as to be almost inexpressible. It's Western
exploration, science, and conquest that have revealed the
world to itself. Other races feel like subjects of Western
power long after colonialism, imperialism, and slavery have
disappeared. The charge of racism puzzles whites who feel
not hostility, but only baffled good will, because they
don't grasp what it really means: humiliation. The white
man presents an image of superiority even when he isn't
conscious of it. And superiority excites envy. Destroying
white civilization is the inmost desire of the league of
designated victims we call 'minorities.' "

Old 08-29-2007, 03:41 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,953 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/29/ed...us&oref=slogin

Interesting article about the SAT.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:52 AM

5 posts, read 16,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
I hate to be the person to tell it like it is, but for 1300 a month you will not be in a good school. Unless you are in someones basement apt with 1 bd. My son and fiance paid 1200 for just that in holbrook [sachem]. I dont think there is much untill you hit around 1800 for rent.
Thank you. I actually expected to be paying around $1,800/month -- so that is not a problem. When it gets to be $2,200/month or so, we wouldn't be able to handle that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island