Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 16,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
I just think it is important for people who think LI is all that, to know the truth. And hey, what about the OP? Does that person's questions even matter in this thread anymore? I realyy do think that what they are looking for does not exist on LI, only because of the people that currently reside there and the attitudes that they are perpetuating to keep the less-worthy outside of the gates.
I'm glad you said that -- I was wondering the same thing! Does anyone have any useful information to share with me, other than to move somewhere else? I think I clearly stated that I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my son's grandparents being rooted here...so...I'm here, where should I go? Where are safe towns to raise a family, without having to starve to death, with decent schools? That's all I'm asking for...I understand there are strong feelings about LI on this website, but - to be honest - I really don't care about all of that. LI is LI, it has been this way for at least the last 20+ years, so get over it. I grew up in Mastic Beach and went to William Floyd. I will not be sending my son to that district.

PLEASE, only post on this thread if you have something positive or helpful to say!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 16,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Believe me, if LI was like it was when we were kids, I would probably still live there, despite the expense, because the aura and environment would be more pleasant. I too refused to sit and be miserable, which is why we left.

I just wanted to give the OP some balance, a chance to understand that not ALL LI'ers are represented in this forum, but much truth is being shown regarding the current climate-which can give one a glimpse of the future.

I wish you luck, hang in there, hopefully the market will turn around by the time you are ready and you can leave with piece of mind, and cash in the bank
Thank you. Just out of curiosity -- where did you end up moving to, and do you like it?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:05 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,603 times
Default Hypocrites

JustSayNo, you go to great lengths to chastise those close minded racists from L.I., yet YOU obviously have no tolerence for people who view things differently than you do. You automatically think that if someone has a negative view of a particular group or groups of people, well he must be a RACIST! How easy it is to throw that word around. Without knowing someones' history and experiences, you can just slap him with the racist label and your work is done. As a hard working, blue collar teamster, I have no use for old money elites or trust fund snobs, but I would feel much safer walking around Muttontown after dark than in Brentwood. Would'nt you?? A friend at work had an incident with gang members of MS 13 in Brentwood that scared the hell out of him. Do you think that would be a problem in Dix Hills?? I don't know where you live now, but I'll bet a years pay you would'nt move to any of the places my family lived in Queens before I ended up on LI... Milford St. in East New York, Jamaica Ave. in Richmond Hill and Rockaway Blvd. in South Ozone Park( Go OZ!!). My point is that the minorities that moved to those areas made those neighborhoods places where most whites would not want to move to. Just keepin it real.
So JSN, I will happily remove my hypocrite tag on you if you can truefully claim that your neighborhood is less than 75% white. If not, the label sticks.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:42 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,893 times
Well hello Joe! Gosh I signed in at the right moment, as your post has the "new post" smell!

So, you make some nice points, and I fully understand the human concern of of being harmed by another human. BUT, I did not use the word, nor label anyone, racist in this thread. I also do not automatically think anything, regardless of "if someone has a negative view of a particular group or groups of people" The contributors on this thread contribute tons of opinions on multiple threads, therefore creating a CD "personality." Consequently, my thoughts on posters, and their threads are formed over time, not automatically

Now, I grew up and lived in one of the "right" places on LI, and yes my parents would literally lock the car doors when driving through one of the "not-right" places on LI, Bronx, Harlem, etc. That was them, not me. Granted, when I lived in the city, I lived below the "line of demarcation" known as 96th street, and I did not take the subways past 8 pm (even 10 years ago). But Joe, I can honestly say, it was not because the color of someone's skin, it was because of the potential actions that anyone, white, black, brown, yellow, red, or green, could have exerted on me. Bad people who harm others come in all colors-and we caucians should start to remember this in the year 2007.

Regardless, my posts on this thread were about the attitude that appears to be the majority on the LI board. I think that makes it difficult for newcomers, or those not in the know, to get a true understanding of the LI environment. I really feel bad for the young adults trying to get onto LI, or trying to make a better life for themselves on LI. I agree that one should be mindfull of a potential neighborhood, they should know who their neighbors are, and my opinion is that the "old money elites or trust fund snobs" can be just as, or more, harmful to the young, bright-eyed hopeful kids or to someone like the OP who clearly stated what they were looking for. I simply said I do not think it exists on LI and to look elsewhere. I am not lableing anyone as anything, as you have just labeled me. I simply wanted to provide some balance to the perspective.

And yes Joe, you are correct, I have never lived in East NY-though my Dad worked night-shift and stayed at the "y" there when he was a youngin'-Richmond Hill, nor Ozone Park. And my hometown is not less than 75% white. It is however, one of the poorest towns in the poorest counties in NYS. Now, to many, the white poor are just as bad as "all the other" poor, as they are "white trash." I find my neighbors hard working, dedicated, true, down-to-earth people who struggled from sun up to sun down to survive. I don't agree with all their views-but that is a good thing. If we all thought the same things the world would be a terrible place, IMHO. Sure the cars are older, the homes are more "organic" and many dogs and cats are just animals (opposite of my opinion completely) but I have tremendous TOLERENCE for differences, what I do not have tolerence for is bad behavior that harms others.

So, you may keep my tag on if you wish, fine by me. I know my truth, my morals, ethics, values, etc. Not the point of my posts at all. This thread is not about me or you, it was about the OP looking for some guidence. I threw my post into the ring. Perhaps the OP is a minority, and what is read on the board makes that person feel bad, makes them question themselves and their fellow human beings? I don't know, do you?

Last edited by JustSayNo; 09-04-2007 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: changed street

Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
Thread has veered off topic.. closing..
Please read the Terms of Service..

Last edited by Keeper; 09-05-2007 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island